Arctic Cooling ATi Silencer 4 Rev. 1 on X800GTO2?

Meuge

Banned
Nov 27, 2005
I tried both, and the Zalman VF700Cu works better, and is a lot easier to install, plus it is less bulky.

shicx1

Sep 5, 2005
So it works? OK, I think I'm gonna get the ATi Silencer 4 Rev. 1 over the Zalman VF700Cu ONLY because it only costs $10.

Meuge

Banned
Nov 27, 2005
Well, it works, but it also wouldn't allow me to put on my Swiftech chipset fan. Also, it pretty much requires you to have 2 free slots under the PCI-E card, which is stupid.

anandtechrocks

Dec 7, 2004
Originally posted by: Meuge
Well, it works, but it also wouldn't allow me to put on my Swiftech chipset fan. Also, it pretty much requires you to have 2 free slots under the PCI-E card, which is stupid.

The Zalman VF700 is a pretty big cooler too expecially considering you cannot place a PCI card right under it because it will severly restrict air flow. The Arctic Cooling series are very easy to install and the best part is that they expell hot air outside you case instead of just circulating it around your video card.

shicx1

Sep 5, 2005
How much of an improvement is the ATi Silencer 5 Rev. 2 over the ATi Silencer 4 Rev. 1? Is it worth $20 more?

Snakexor

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2005
all i know is that my c3dx800gto is idling at 41 degrees with clocks at 560/560

Griffyn187

Nov 6, 2005
Snakexor, did you already perform the flash and/or mod for your card? Sounds like we're running the exact same setup, and I'd love to get those kind of specs out of my card once my AS5rev2 arrives in couple days.

Remedy

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 1999
Originally posted by: shicx1
How much of an improvement is the ATi Silencer 5 Rev. 2 over the ATi Silencer 4 Rev. 1? Is it worth $20 more?

I don't think the issue is of an improvement. But, compatiblity. The 4 series is only compatible with x800. The 5 series is compatible with x800 and x850. If you don't plan to move to the x850 series. I'd just spend the $9.99 on the 4 series cooler.

JMO...

Snakexor

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2005
not flashed it yet, still 12 pipes

silencer 5rev2, heres some advice:

when putting the hsf on, take the memory pads, and stick em directly to the chips so you know your getting good contact ;)

Remedy

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 1999
Originally posted by: shicx1
The X800GTO2 that I have will work with the 4 series right?

I don't have the products in front of me to directly compare them. Though, looking at this pict of the GTO and then this pic of the GTO2. Look like the mounting system is the same for both units. Thus, the Silencer 4 should be compatible with it.

t0kinl3lunts

Aug 10, 2005
Ya know, I bought the Silencer 5 for $30 something and the fan broke a couple months after I got it. I bought it from BluebonePC and they barely speak english there so getting it RMAed through them, as Arctic Cooling suggests, would be a pain. I have been wondering the same thing about the silencer 4 since I saw they were on sale. If the mounting points are the same I could use the old backing plate and some of the thermal compund instead of the sticky pads. Please let me know if you can confirm it will fit on the X800Xl, I need a quiet computer again and that heat outside of my case!

Thanks,
Matt

Griffyn187

Nov 6, 2005
The X800 GTO, being that there?s no layout difference from the X800 XL, should be able to work with V-1 Ultra, which is the recommended cooler for such VGA card.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Best regards,
Hank Peng
Customer Relations/ Sales Representative

That came from ThermalRight yesterday. Almost has me wishing I'd waited a couple days and gone for the V1. If you've got the room for a cooler, the V1 is definitely a great option for GTOs.

Remedy

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 1999
Originally posted by: Griffyn187
The X800 GTO, being that there?s no layout difference from the X800 XL, should be able to work with V-1 Ultra, which is the recommended cooler for such VGA card.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Best regards,
Hank Peng
Customer Relations/ Sales Representative

That came from ThermalRight yesterday. Almost has me wishing I'd waited a couple days and gone for the V1. If you've got the room for a cooler, the V1 is definitely a great option for GTOs.

I wish they would document that on their site. They don't document too many things they like to mention via eMail. The cooler would sell alot more had they been detailed about compatiblity.

shicx1

Sep 5, 2005
The X800GTO2 has a R480 core, so I don't think the ATi Silencer 4 Rev. 1 will fit on it.