Arcsoft TotalMedia Theater no longer for sale or supported

Kerry56

Oct 16, 2004
Just a heads up for those who might not have seen this elsewhere. Arcsoft has dropped support for all of their video programs, including TotalMedia Theater. For a couple of days, there was a message on the page for TMT, stating: This product will be no longer maintained and updated.

But now, there is no page on their site for TMT or any of the other video programs they once sold. Arcsoft has not issued an official statement on the subject, and it doesn't look like they will.

Its a very abrupt end for an excellent program.

Kerry56

Oct 16, 2004
Oops, meant to post this in the Home Theater PC forum. Would appreciate an assist from one of the mods here.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
That's too bad, they make a great product. I've used JRiver recently but used TMT a lot in the past.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Not terribly surprising. The DVD software market always seemed too competitive and obstructed to me. They basically make buggy whip mounts.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Booo.... too bad! They had excellent support for HD-DVD and Blu-ray. AFAIK, they were the most compatible software player around. I don't personally care about simple DVD playback, considering that VLC can do it for free.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
As a TMT6 owner, that's a real bummer, but I'm not all that surprised. Their software competed well with PowerDVD Ultra, but I don't recall them having anything less to compete on the low-end. TMT was a $100 piece of software, and most people aren't into spending that much just to watch a movie when they can spend less on a dedicated player... or cheaper versions of PowerDVD.

mindbomb

May 30, 2013
I, and I think many others, were using the dts decoder from tmt in lav audio in mpc hc. There is no dts-hd decoding from ffmpeg decoder yet, so it was the only way to experience most lossless bluray audio without a hardware decoder.

I'm kind of worried how people will do that now without arcsoft around.

mindbomb

May 30, 2013
yea, but for other people who want to try that now, it's gonna be increasingly a pain to get as time goes forward.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
If you have the product you can still keep using it...

Maybe, maybe not. Blu-Ray seems to be always upgrading their encryption schemes.

Without product updates in the future, the user might not be able to play future Blu-Ray titles.

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
Maybe, maybe not. Blu-Ray seems to be always upgrading their encryption schemes.

Without product updates in the future, the user might not be able to play future Blu-Ray titles.

That's my concern as well. I bought it exclusively for BD playback, as it was the best software for that job. As I age, I'm finding that at the distance I watch media on my 42" plasma, I cannot differentiate between DVD and BD, so it was kind of a waste, but no proper HTPC would be complete without BD support in my opinion.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001

As the bolded part indicate, it's all conjecture at this point.

Besides which, let's be honest: Is anyone serious about HTPC who does not yet run AnyDVD or AnyDVDHD? As long as that one's updated, things should be OK.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
As the bolded part indicate, it's all conjecture at this point.

Besides which, let's be honest: Is anyone serious about HTPC who does not yet run AnyDVD or AnyDVDHD? As long as that one's updated, things should be OK.

yap, that's exactly what I do, I also have DVDFab, sometimes I prefer copying the entire ISO and then watch it through TMT