Architecture Experts - What features for a DirectX based CAD Video Card

PrinceXizor

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2002
My company is cheap, stupid, ignorant, fill in the blanks...so I get to try to maximise my obsolete computer with a brand, new $100 video card <*sigh*>.

Obviously there is going to be some trade-offs. Now, the 3D CAD software we currently use is DirectX based, not OpenGL based, so that's a plus. I'm just not sure what trade-offs to shoot for?

I've always thought that the high meg memory (i.e. 512MB) might actually be useful in a CAD envirnoment, but I'm not sure if it would still be limited by a smaller number of pipes ona budget card.

I'm also not certain which types of pipes might affect performance, vertex, pixel, raster. I'd say vertex probably, but the raster ones might be useful too. I know you've got two issues, calculating the physical data and then the actual screen display data.

Any direction from folks more knowledgable about video architecture would be greatly appreciated. I could try and find the best "game-playing" video card (as the CAD program is DirectX based and most likely NOT optimized) but I may be missing an opportunity.

Thanks for any help!

P-X

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
512mb is useless on a budget card

PCIE or AGP?

all the things you list in your topic summary, the more the better, BUT if u have low pipelines or low clockspeeds, more memory wont be good

try to grab a 7600GS i believe those are within that price range

PrinceXizor

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2002
AGP 4X
And why exactly is 512MB useless on a budget card? I'm not saying bigger is better or any such nonsense. But can you explain that for me? What exactly is on a budget card that prevents the usefulness of 512MB of memory?

Admittedly, I tend to agree with you. But I don't want to make any assumptions, particular since it will NOT be used for gaming but for CAD work which just might make use of this extra memory.

P-X

slatr

May 28, 2001
Pure CAD with no 3d, matrox

with 3d , nvidia quadro

No point in a 512mb card at all for cad. You want better quality.. Matrox.

PrinceXizor

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2002
Umm....did you read my first post? I'm not getting a quatrro/fire gl/card....unless your selling one for $100? Besides, this is a DirectX based engine, not OpenGL. The performance boost in this particular application doesn't come from a Quadro or other CAD type card.

Maybe I'm making it too complicated (wishful thinking perhaps?) @ $100. What's the best AGP 4X card ~ $100?

P-X

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
There are some nVidia cards that can be 'Unlocked' to a full blown Quadro card. I know I had a 6800NU that could do it. Evidentally, my 7600GT can also do it. RivaTuner is the tool that can unlock those capabilitys.

So, you 'may' be able to get a cheap entry level desktop nVidia card and unlock its 'professional' features and it work just like a Quadro version would.

Jason

PrinceXizor

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2002
Unfortunately, that is not an option in this corporate environment. And, it most likely wouldn't do anything anyway. Thanks for the tip, though!

P-X

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Originally posted by: formulav8
There are some nVidia cards that can be 'Unlocked' to a full blown Quadro card. I know I had a 6800NU that could do it. Evidentally, my 7600GT can also do it. RivaTuner is the tool that can unlock those capabilitys.

So, you 'may' be able to get a cheap entry level desktop nVidia card and unlock its 'professional' features and it work just like a Quadro version would.

Jason
Pretty sure most of those professioanl features aren't going to work if he is only using a direct3d based low-end app.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
x1600 Pro? 6600? Get 256 meg versions, and you should be good to go...

Memory bandwidth seems to be important, so I would try to maximize that.

Nat

slatr

May 28, 2001
I said Matrox

Just buy a matrox G 550

Umm....did you read my first post? I'm not getting a quatrro/fire gl/card....unless your selling one for $100? Besides, this is a DirectX based engine, not OpenGL. The performance boost in this particular application doesn't come from a Quadro or other CAD type card.