Question ARC not working for TV's built-in streaming apps

solidsnake1298

Aug 7, 2009
My parents bought a new Sony TV a few months ago. A X800H, I believe. They also have a Sony 7.1 receiver. Previously they watched Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime Video via a Chromecast connected to the TV and audio got to the receiver via ARC. But the X800H has Android TV and they've been using that to watch streaming content and gave me the Chromecast since they didn't need it anymore.

The problem is that audio from any of the Android TV streaming apps isn't going through the receiver. Even though the receiver is connected to the ARC HDMI port. The TV recognizes that there is a receiver on the ARC port and is supposedly configured to send audio back. I've read the manual for both the TV and receiver and I can't figured out why it isn't working. Though the TV's manual doesn't make clear whether the TV would even send Android TV audio back down the ARC channel.

The next time I visit in a couple weeks, I plan on bringing an unused TOSLINK cable I have to, at least, get 2 channel audio to the receiver that way.

Does anyone have experience with Android TV and ARC?

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
My parents bought a new Sony TV a few months ago. A X800H, I believe. They also have a Sony 7.1 receiver. Previously they watched Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime Video via a Chromecast connected to the TV and audio got to the receiver via ARC. But the X800H has Android TV and they've been using that to watch streaming content and gave me the Chromecast since they didn't need it anymore.

The problem is that audio from any of the Android TV streaming apps isn't going through the receiver. Even though the receiver is connected to the ARC HDMI port. The TV recognizes that there is a receiver on the ARC port and is supposedly configured to send audio back. I've read the manual for both the TV and receiver and I can't figured out why it isn't working. Though the TV's manual doesn't make clear whether the TV would even send Android TV audio back down the ARC channel.

The next time I visit in a couple weeks, I plan on bringing an unused TOSLINK cable I have to, at least, get 2 channel audio to the receiver that way.

Does anyone have experience with Android TV and ARC?
HDMI ARC worked for me from my HiSense Android TV to my Onkyo receive. Had to be sure it was enabled on both ends.
Didn't really like the Android TV interface, so opted for a 4K Fire TV stick from Amazon. HDMI ARC and HDMI CEC all coexist and play nicely with each other.