Arab League will not recognize Iraq's governing council

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Link

Arab League members decided Tuesday not to recognize Iraq's U.S.-appointed Governing Council, saying they will wait until a government is elected.

They didn't add that a 99.7% winning margin will be required, and that all elections must only have one party, so as to not confuse "The Arab Street".

One of the funnier things I've read lately :D

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
It's not really an issue as the council is still ultimately only advisory. You can't recognize a government that can ultimately be overruled in anything by a foriegn power.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Nitemare
Maybe Iraq will pull out of OPEC as well

That wouldn't be very wise economically ultimately. Whenever 3rd world countries have allowed unregulated access to thier raw materials, they have been screwed over royally.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: tnitsuj
It's not really an issue as the council is still ultimately only advisory. You can't recognize a government that can ultimately be overruled in anything by a foriegn power.

I agree :) But why didn't they say that, instead of the election bit? They just sound silly :)

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Nitemare
Maybe Iraq will pull out of OPEC as well

That wouldn't be very wise economically ultimately. Whenever 3rd world countries have allowed unregulated access to thier raw materials, they have been screwed over royally.

Membership in OPEC has nothing to do with unregulated access to "raw materials".

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: alchemize

I agree :) But why didn't they say that, instead of the election bit? They just sound silly :)

Where'd they say that?

flavio

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

What's silly about the election bit?

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: flavio

All of the Arab League countries are run by governments that were not elected, or not "really" elected.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001

All of the Arab League countries are run by governments that were not elected, or not "really" elected.

Why not call it what they are..Religious Totalitarian Dictatorships

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Aah, that's what it's about, ok.

That said, I don't think their concern is about Democracy(duh), it is about a government that is controlled by Iraqi's and not the puppet of a distant foreign power. Subtle, yet significant difference.

syzygy

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: sandorski

Aah, that's what it's about, ok.

That said, I don't think their concern is about Democracy(duh), it is about a government that is controlled by Iraqi's and not the puppet of a distant foreign power. Subtle, yet significant difference.[/quote]

the arab league's secretary general concedes the obvious in the article by stating
that the iraqi governing council is a 'start', and yet they refuse to 'recognize' it. as
dumb as that is, this comment is a retreat from their supposedly principled refusal
to accept american unilateral intervention. stupidity compounded.

the word itself, 'start', is wickedly coded. nobody expects these arab autocrats to
endorse the kind of democratic reforms none of the league members themselves
practice, especially none that could send iraq into a western socio-political direction
that is marked by representative guarantees, governmental checks and balances,
and free and fair elections.

dari said it best : 'arab league = waste of atoms'

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Why waste time talking to the puppet if you can talk to the puppetmaster directly. Until it's obvious that the governing council actually has any power in terms of conducting foreign affairs, there is hardly a point in talking to them.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
I just found great irony in the demand for an elected government, that's all :) If you can't see the irony, then your anti-bush glasses (flavio) are tinted too heavily.

flavio

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I just found great irony in the demand for an elected government, that's all :) If you can't see the irony, then your anti-bush glasses (flavio) are tinted too heavily.

Did I say anything about Bush? Obviously your Bush-beer-goggles are on. I simply didn't see what was silly about the election bit. I do see what you meant by it now, but obviously their refusal to recognize is based on the puppet nature of the council which is understandable.