Arab firms win Iraqi phone contracts

xochi

Jan 18, 2000
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
Well, since no one else has seen fit to post it, I will:)

Shunning Western bidders, Iraq has awarded two-year GSM mobile phone contracts to three Arab firms: Orascom, Atheer Tel and Asia Cell.

I wonder how we can tie this to Bush.;)

But seriously - I think it is a great step in the right direction. There needs to be some regional involvement and this is just one such thing which will help solidify post-war Iraq.

CkG

i'm not going to pretend to know much about mobile phone technology.

but isnt that type of mobile phone technology superior to what is in US?

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: xochi

Shunning Western bidders, Iraq has awarded two-year GSM mobile phone contracts to three Arab firms: Orascom, Atheer Tel and Asia Cell.

But seriously - I think it is a great step in the right direction. There needs to be some regional involvement and this is just one such thing which will help solidify post-war Iraq.

CkG

Can you hear me now? Good!

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001

CkG

GSM is just coming out in the US. If your phone has a SIM card it is GSM, for the large part we use CDMA here.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Cad's continuing rosy outlook of King George never ceases to amaze me :D

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
CAD may be a partisan cheerleader but here's one case where the administration got it right. The whole concept of installing CDMA was total BS and profiteering. Then again this firm may be the Arab version of Enron, WorldCom, or Adelphia. I hope they aren't associated with Chalabi.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Industry experts had expected the networks to be based on GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications) technology, which is already used across the Middle East and much of the rest of the world.

But the issue was clouded after one US lawmaker in March urged top politicians, including US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, to ensure that rival US-backed technology CDMA be deployed to safeguard American jobs and profits.

There's your link to the USA.
Why go CDMA when it's basically US only and everyone around them uses GSM? Just seems really pointless, especially as they would probably end up upgrading to GSM in the future anyway. Pointless.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: LilBlinbBlahIce

GSM is just coming out in the US. If your phone has a SIM card it is GSM, for the large part we use CDMA here.
I'm also not going to pretend I know anything about cell phones but I have Cingular which uses SIM cards and they suck. Not only that, but they never stop sucking...

Jan 12, 2003
My T-Mobile cuts out on the metro when we go under....Verizon users can continue to use their phones underground...I think I have one of those cards in my phone...and it sucks ;)