APU Graphics Broke, System in Limp Mode

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
not sure exactly how or when, but the graphics software on my Kubuntu SFF PC got scrambled or something; now I can't login. I've encountered a similar issue before which was resolved by reinstalling the amdgpu-pro software but it's not working this time.

after a normal boot I get the limited graphics mode prompt or whatever but none of the options seem to do much. i've tried recovery mode and root access but could not use wget to download the latest AMD software... just came back with a "could not resolve host" followed by the URL etc.

last thing I tried was booting up a antivirus CD and using the web browser from that to download the tarball to a directory that I could access while being logged in as root. that part worked fine, but after rebooting and dropping to root again extracting the .tar does not work. i believe it left me with an unknown error and would not let me extract the contents.

i'd rather not reinstall the whole OS just because of the APU drivers, but if I have to I will go back to 14.04 even though this newer version was working fine. any thoughts?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Have you tried the libre drivers? I'm not familiar with amd(always used nvidia), but perhaps you could load the libre drivers, blacklist the proprietary, and see if that gets you a decent desktop. If that works, maybe they'll be good enough. If not, you'd at least have a functional desktop to work from while you figure out why the proprietary drivers broke(kernel update?)

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
i vaguely remember wanting to try those awhile back, but I don't think my APU is supported. i could be wrong though so it's worth another look.

i was able to uninstall the amdgpu-pro drivers but couldn't get them to unpack after saving them to the hard drive

EDIT: nvm it's working again, at least for now... after uninstalling the pro drivers again and running the apt-get clean I could see the login screen again. cheers!

Last edited: