April we're getting a new Lost In Space.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
The premise of "Robinson Crusoe in space" has always been a fantastic concept with amazing story potential, but has never been done well. The original 60's show started out really well in the 1st season, but then the "Batman" craze happened, so the producers thought they needed to change the whole show into a goofy semi-comedy series and it died shortly after that. The 90's movie remake was just a mess- it was in production hell for 10 years, faced cuts and multiple directors, the actors hated each other, Joey from Friends had that "This is my ticket!" look on is face the entire movie...awful.

I think Netflix will finally do it right.

Feb 25, 2011
Ok... so Netflix has already sold a streaming subscription to basically everybody in north america. So where are they finding all this money to produce shows and movies? Are netflix originals going to start being "DLC" where you have to pay an extra couple bucks to "unlock" the series on your account?

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
They don't...they buy up already made stuff much of the time. Granted the same question still applies. My guess is they get paid big money by advertisers and data analysts for 'what people watch and how long they watch it' studies to sell more ads to you.

There are so many things out there that shouldn't be making money but are making hand over fist simply due to the above.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Ok... so Netflix has already sold a streaming subscription to basically everybody in north america. So where are they finding all this money to produce shows and movies? Are netflix originals going to start being "DLC" where you have to pay an extra couple bucks to "unlock" the series on your account?

That's why subscription costs have been going up a little bit- to pay for original programming. Most of the stuff they're making is top notch though, so I'll gladly pay an extra $1 a month.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
IIRC the Lost In Space theme song was pretty cool.

same reason the Hawaii 5-0 reboot doesn't suck: great theme song.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
IIRC the Lost In Space theme song was pretty cool.

same reason the Hawaii 5-0 reboot doesn't suck: great theme song.

But that and the local "scenery" are the only good parts of that reboot...the acting and scripts suck.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Only saving grace was Gary Oldman, assuming we're talking about the same movie.

You're forgetting Mimi Rodgers, Heather Graham and slightly-too-young Lacey Chabert. Plus they got the voice of the original Robby the Robot (Dick Tufeld). Not a great movie, but better than many other Hollywood reboots.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
That's why subscription costs have been going up a little bit- to pay for original programming. Most of the stuff they're making is top notch though, so I'll gladly pay an extra $1 a month.
Conversely, I'd love the option for a cheaper plan that doesn't have any of their original content, since I haven't watched any and have no plans to do so.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
It might be good, not that there's much to go on from the trailer.

Oh, and don't call me April.

tumblr_n21mo2FGHC1ru72puo1_r1_400.gif

Reactions: Ken g6

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
You're forgetting Mimi Rodgers, Heather Graham and slightly-too-young Lacey Chabert. Plus they got the voice of the original Robby the Robot (Dick Tufeld). Not a great movie, but better than many other Hollywood reboots.

But Robby the Robot was a completely different franchise. The original Lost in Space robot was voiced by Bob May.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
But Robby the Robot was a completely different franchise. The original Lost in Space robot was voiced by Bob May.

It's the same robot costume in Forbidden Planet and LiS, they just modified it a bit.

IMDB says it's Tufeld who provided the voice of the robot from 1965-68. Bob May is listed as "the robot" so he wore the costume?

It's like Vader, or Tony Todd voicing Zoom in The Flash.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Robby the Robot was never in the LIS movie IIRC.

robot_rot.jpg

Robot (1965-68 TV show) and Robby the Robot (Forbidden Planet, etc.)

the 2 versions used in the 1998 movie

latest

DE34F35A-5A06-11E2-B3DD-01E1FE0C0230.jpg

I wonder what kind of robot they'll use in the Netflix version.

Last edited:

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Conversely, I'd love the option for a cheaper plan that doesn't have any of their original content, since I haven't watched any and have no plans to do so.

Your loss- their new shows are the best things on TV. Stranger Things, Jessica Jones, House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, Everything Sucks + like 50 others. Commercial free, some have some quality T&A, and fantastic writing.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001

robot_rot.jpg

Robot (TV show) and Robby the Robot (Forbidden Planet, etc.)

latest

earlier version in LIS movie
Lost_in_Space-b13.JPG

later version in LIS movie

I wonder what kind of robot they'll use in the Netflix version.

Robbie the Robot appeared in one episode of Lost in Space. It was one of those trope episodes where Robbie appeared, was a lot better than their own robot, replaced him, the robot left with hurt feelings, then Robbie turned out to be evil so the old robot came back to save the day. (Episode 20: War of the Robots)

Lost-in-Space-War-of-the-Robots-2.jpg

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001

Yes, but what I said was that the voice actor was in the movie. When Will Robinson is controlling the robot in the movie and talking to his family, the voice that comes out of the robot is Dick Tufeld's instead of his own. It was a homage to the original show, like having cameos by June Lockhart (the original mom) and Angela Cartwright (Penny).

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Robbie the Robot appeared in one episode of Lost in Space.
I was mentioning about RTR not being in the 1998 movie, not about the TV show. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Also it was a nice homage of using the T.V. voice actor Dick Tufeld in the movie.

It's the same robot costume in Forbidden Planet and LiS, they just modified it a bit.

IMDB says it's Tufeld who provided the voice of the robot from 1965-68. Bob May is listed as "the robot" so he wore the costume?
Correct.

6a00d83452989a69e2010536d9caed970b-600wi

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Your loss- their new shows are the best things on TV. Stranger Things, Jessica Jones, House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, Everything Sucks + like 50 others. Commercial free, some have some quality T&A, and fantastic writing.
I did watch the first season of OitNB.
I'm not saying it's not quality entertainment, there's just nothing there that really appeals to me.