[April Fools] [ABT] [Nvidia] 3dfx brand name being revived!

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
You sure it's not an April's Fool joke?

My guess:

The Voodoo 590 is indeed the most remarkable graphics card we have ever seen. While the most powerful graphics cards today use at most two GPUs on a single board, the Voodoo 590 uses a mind boggling two hundred and thirty-three VSA-100 chips.

Who uses mind bogging in a press release? Haha.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
The VooDoo brand would be a good brand to bring back. I don't know about "3dfx" itself, but they could run with "voo-doo" again and I think it would play well with the markets.

More so than "GeForce", which has been teh weaksauce sounding to me ever since the debut of the kids movie G-Force.

Although I must admit that to me the brand Radeon always came across to me as someone's weak play on the word "radiator" as in you need one to keep them from overheating.

I wish they'd both get more edgy in their brand names. Geforce and radeon are both so blasé. Voo-Doo is not blasé, it sounds sinister and wicked, in a good way.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
The VooDoo brand would be a good brand to bring back. I don't know about "3dfx" itself, but they could run with "voo-doo" again and I think it would play well with the markets.

More so than "GeForce", which has been teh weaksauce sounding to me ever since the debut of the kids movie G-Force.

Although I must admit that to me the brand Radeon always came across to me as someone's weak play on the word "radiator" as in you need one to keep them from overheating.

I wish they'd both get more edgy in their brand names. Geforce and radeon are both so blasé. Voo-Doo is not blasé, it sounds sinister and wicked, in a good way.

I would buy a voodoo named card over a geforce named card any day!!!

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010

Perception is key!

Radeon to me always sounded like Raytheon (local company where I live) that creates some crazy shiz-nits! So, I sort of like the name Radeon :)

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Perception is key!

Radeon to me always sounded like Raytheon (local company where I live) that creates some crazy shiz-nits! So, I sort of like the name Radeon :)

Raytheon is primarily a defense (military) company, quite familiar with them as they had deep business connections with Texas Instruments (my previous employer) and many of my coworkers worked at Raytheon and still do.

Even knowing of Raytheon though I never associated Radeon with Raytheon but I can see the association being made.

Don't get me wrong, I never viewed Radeon (radiator) as a truly negative thing, I just could not for the life of me figure out why ATI would have selected a brand-name that lent itself so readily to association with a negative imagery.

Kinda like Apple and their iPad...I mean c'mon, who didn't foresee the association with feminine hygiene products on that one?

Geforce on the other other, about the only association I can think of, and its a weak one at that, is GeSpot...which is hardly a negative association.

At any rate, regardless the associations inspired by current brandnames, I wish they were edgier, like VooDoo was.

Dean

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Someone asked if this is an april fools joke? I SURE HOPE SO!!

Well here are the specs!LOL

3DFX Voodoo 590 Specifications

-233 vsa-100 chips running at 166mhz
-Dual Pixel Pipelines
-77.7 gigatexels
-7456 megabytes of embedded sdram
-T-Buffer
-466x rotated grid supersampling
-Full Glide Supprt
-Does not have T&L Shaders, and other useless things

LOL...now that would be one big card!hahaha

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
It really would make sense for them to bring back the Voodoo name. Maybe make all their sandwhich cards use the voodoo moniker.

notty22

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2010
I was a big fan of the original Voodoo and 3dfx also.
I had a 2d Matrox Millenia, that cost me about 340 dollars in 1997, and I d/l Quake 1 demo and my heart sank. Went and bought the Voodoo, hooked up the outside cables vga to vga, and it was beautiful ! It used to click between modes. It made me uneasy and excited to hear that click :)

Bearach

Dec 11, 2010
I loved my 3Dfx cards, they were reliable, consistant and gave great gaming performance.

I was so sad when they were gone. I was shocked but also not shocked at the time. Wish they were back!

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
I loved my 3Dfx cards, they were reliable, consistant and gave great gaming performance.
Don't get me wrong, I loved my Canopus Pure3D and Pure3D II, but the texture filtering on those sucked hardcore compared to the RivaTNT.

I think I tried running a Canopus Spectra 2500 and a Pure3D II together at one point. You could feel the heatwave from the case o_O