Apricorn SSD cloning kit $10.20 AP AR FS @ Newegg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raider1284

Aug 17, 2006
This isnt a cloning kit, but more of a sata -> usb adapter.

This will allow you to attach any sata hard drive to your computer and have it mount as an external hard drive.

It is not an all in one cloning device for platter or ssd hard drives. If you want something like that, this might be a better option: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817422030

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
The USB 2.0 version is the same as the ones packaged with SSD "kits" from Crucial and Corsair (among others?). I've done three clones using it, going from smaller to larger SSD. Boot up from the Crucial/Corsair branded disc into EZGIG4 software. Software understands alignment, and recognizes the drives plugged into the adapter (chipset USB port, not 3rd party). Select source, select destination, click "start" and it runs.

Out of the 3 times, twice it worked flawlessly. One time Windows would not run on the new drive. I fixed it without reinstallation by booting off a Windows disc and selecting "repair." The fix took around 2 seconds after I started the process.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
I would avoid USB 2.0 and for serious cloning stick with direct SATA.

But here's a better USB 3.0 kit for both SATA and Slim SATA with locking screws (particularly for ODD), which includes a rubber drive enclosure and case for $24.95 plus shipping less $2 off coupon FB072808.

Supply your own software -although drive manufacturers generally supply free clone software. Everyone on AT should have their own anyway (personally, I use Ghost 11.5). :p

http://www.newmodeus.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17&products_id=475

Vincent

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
For cloning I use a cable that has a USB plug for power and an eSATA plug for data.

USB2 must be awfully slow.

There are many free programs like Macrium Reflect that you can use for cloning.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
newmodeus has eSATAp kits as well but for only occasional use with a 2.5" drive, a basic cable is cheap via ebay. For regular use with a desktop, a 2-in-1 backplane (for 3.5" bay) is more practical and safe.

rsutoratosu

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2011
Ah fubar, i bought the usb2 one last month.. oh well at least its last month..

I use usb2 cloning a lot.. 100gb takes like 40 min ish.

Luckily some of the dell has the esatap ports.. its a lot faster

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
I would avoid USB 2.0 and for serious cloning stick with direct SATA.

All depends on how often you think you'll use it.

I used mine 3 times, on 3 different systems. None took over 1 hour. Heck, I don't think any took over 30 min, including the time it took to boot to CD. I don't even know when I'd use it next, as all my cloning needs are done with for probably a long time.

If you plan to use it "regularly" then maybe invest in something faster. Otherwise, save the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.