Appropriating Asian culture at the BET awards

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
There is such a thing as cultural appropriation, but some people are a little too on-edge about it. Funk isn't the sole provision of black people, although it's certainly wise to respect its roots.

The classic examples of where appropriation happens: it's that music festival kid who wears a native ceremonial headdress simply because it looks cool. It's when a sports team calls itself the Braves or Redskins and thinks it's being cute by asking you to do the "tomahawk chop" at a game. Basically, it's when there's a fundamental level of disrespect, when you're stomping on an entire culture in the name of aesthetics or profit.

Out of curiosity, where is the line here? Recently someone linked a youtube video of a woman who went ballistic on an Uber driver because he had a "hula girl" doll on his dashboard. This is the kind of thing they sell to tourists in gift shops in Hawaii, but she claimed that this was disrespecting Hawaiian culture. So how do we know when it's the real cultural appropriation and when it isn't? This is very important, because the penalty for getting it wrong is being called a racist, which is probably the second worst stigma you can apply in our society after calling someone a pedophile. It seems liike we need some clarity here or else the net effect is to chill free expression, including artistic expression.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
This thread reminded me of this movie.

The-Conqueror-Yellowface.jpg

John Wayne in The Conquerors as Genghis Khan.
I watched a clip on youtube. That was every bit as bad as I anticipated. However, as a meme, it's awesome. "You may be manly but are you as manly as John Wayne playing Genghis Khan?"

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
I watched a clip on youtube. That was every bit as bad as I anticipated. However, as a meme, it's awesome. "You may be manly but are you as manly as John Wayne playing Genghis Khan?"
Rumor has it that he got cancer doing this film as it was filmed near a nuke test site.