Applying to graduate school (leaning toward phd)

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
Hi all,
I know we have some people in/done with grad school here. I'll be applying in the fall, and I'm leaning toward getting a PhD, but I'm not 100% certain. I mean, I'd like to do it, but if I hate academia, then I'm not going to prolong my stay.

Anyhow, is it better for me to apply to the Master's program and then transfer into the PhD program later? I know many schools basically require you to get a Master's before getting a PhD. Furthermore it seems like places that do allow you to apply straight to the PhD program will require you to get research experience + pass quals (well duh right, lol) before actually becoming a PhD candidate; before that you're some kind of "pre-candidate". But if you're in the Master's program, you're a M.S. candidate. What I'm getting at here is--are there any negative side effects to being a "pre-candidate"?

So yeah, which way is better? Or does it depend on schools? (I plan on talking to my academic advisor as soon as I can as well.)

Note: I'm qualifying "better" as whichever path increases the chance of admission :D

Thanks,
-Eric

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'll going into computational fluid dynamics. Whether that be with an aerospace dept (e.g. where I'm working for the summer) or mathematics dept (e.g. ICME at Stanford) is yet unknown.

I'm majoring in aerospace engineering and mathematics (applied). If it wasn't clear, I'll be a senior in the fall.

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005
going for masters in computer science.

don't plan on phd or anything. phd to me is like research and more of it.

1. I hate research
2. I hate homework
3. I hate studying

4. no matter what, you're gonna be doing all of the above, lol

p.s. life comes once

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Usually applying to the PhD is better. The reason is because the graduate admissions is looking for students to do work. A PhD student is equivalent to a MSc student for the first 2 years, but after the MSc student graduates, leaves, and is replaced with a new MSc student, the PhD student is better than the new guy. They'd rather have experienced people there longer.

Besides, I've heard that even if you apply to the PhD program, you're at least considered for the MSc if you don't quite make the PhD cut.

It all depends on your degree though. In physics often a PhD isn't even enough to get a job as most require about 4-5 years of postdoc work in addition.

Bill Brasky

Diamond Member
May 18, 2006
I can sympathize with your situation since I just went through that a year ago. But like silverpig said, it really does depend on your field. In biology your options are severely limited if you are only looking for a masters. That's not because of stiff competition, but many programs, at least the ones I'm familar with, only accept applications from people seeking doctoral degrees. The exceptions are specialized schools or degrees. For example, my cousin was able to get by with a masters in genetic counseling because it isn't a very popular field.

Anyway, if you can last five or so years, I would recommend a PhD. You mentioned that acedamia might not be for you, and a masters could limit your career options in industry (once again, it depends on the field).

Lastly, try looking around on the internet at average salaries of people in your field. There might be enough of a difference between the two degrees to help you make your decision.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
Most Ph.D. programs that I've seen don't require a Master's degree before applying; however, as you mentioned, you will earn your MA/MS along the way.

As other posters have said, it all really depends on your field, and what you hope to do after you graduate. In Clinical Psych (my program), your options to practice are heavily limited with anything short of a doctorate. Even if you don't enjoy academia, a Ph.D. will often open various other doors unrelated to teaching. Research, though, will likely factor into most positions in some way or another, since as a Ph.D. holder, that's your supposed specialty...one for which you're likely better-qualified than just about anyone else out there.

Edit: I should mention that one additional benefit to being a doctoral candidate is that your tuition is often subsidized, and you many times will receive a stipend on top of this.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
I've updated the OP with major/field (aerospace eng + math & computational fluids) since I forgot to mention it earlier.

To clarify an earlier point--I like academia so far. Of my 3 summers, I've spent 2 of them working in a CFD lab, and I've really enjoyed it. So I don't think I'll grow to dislike academia, but you never know.

DaWhim: Yeah totally! :D I'm apparently pretty crappy at getting internships, which I've yet to understand as I do everything the career folks tell me to, my grades are rather high, and I have tons of relevant coursework... doh Grad school here I come! lol

Whisper: I wasn't aware that M.S. students often don't get funding. That would be a huge reason for me to go PhD because I've managed to stay out of debt in college (parents helping) and I'd like to keep it that way (I'm on my own after undergrad).

silverpig: Ok, very informative, thanks :)

Zaitsev Good point; my thinking has been a little short-sighted it seems. So most people in the lab I'm working in right now are PhD students. I think I've met maybe 1 or 2 master's students (one graduated & works at GE now) and like 15ish PhD students. My impression is that most folks in my field get PhDs.

So far, it sounds (pretty unamimously too) like I should apply to PhD programs. Now to not fvck up that pesky GRE... Oh how I hate the GRE.