Applying MX-1 Thermal Compound

Deadalus

Jun 15, 2001
Hi guys,

I was just wondering what the best method of applying MX-1 Thermal Compound is?

I've used Arctic Silver before and I've always used the method where you apply a dot in the centre and then press & twist the heat-sink on top. I've never been sure if I've used the correct amount!

The MX-1 instructions say to use about 8% of the tube - how am I supposed to know what 8% is?!

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
I've been using AC MX-1 since last year, with great success! :)

MX-1 is really weird stuff! It's super thick -- almost like dried up tooth paste. A little goes a long way -- and you gotta 'work it' unto the surface -- the thinner the better!

At first, it's a real PITA to apply correctly, but after you do it a few times, it's a piece of cake! ;)

The way I've been applying it lately is to smear a little bit of it on both surfaces, straight out of the tube -- then, I put my finger in a plastic sandwich bag, or whatever, and flatten the MX-1 out, until I have a nice, even, THIN, layer on both pieces.

When you first do this, the MX-1 will stick to the plastic bag, more than the device, but if you keep 'working it', eventually the body heat from your finger will warm it up, and it will start sticking to the surfaces.

Sometimes, especially if you're working with copper, the MX-1 will start turning darker n' darker. If that happens, just wipe it off the device and start again...

Anyway, the idea is to spread this stuff as thin and evenly as possible, on both surfaces. You should practically be able to see the numbers through it!

I know this sounds unlike anything you've heard of before, but that's the way it is...

MX-1 is really weird stuff -- unlike anything else out there! It's a PITA to get used to applying -- but, once you get the hang of it, nothing else compares!

After you're done applying it, make sure to burn it in properly, by turning your computer off and letting it cool to room temp several times a day, over a week or two period, e.g. turn it off when you're not using it. The temps will drop more n' more as you do this! After the burn-in period, you can leave it on 24/7.

Hrm...

That's about it!

More info than you needed? :D

Deadalus

Jun 15, 2001
That's great. Thanks!

Is that method better than the one suggested in the MX-1 instructions? (Applying some to the CPU and then pressing the heat-sink down on it & rotating).

Also, after you've worked it into both surfaces, do you then just install as normal?

Thanks again.

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
Originally posted by: Deadalus
Is that method better than the one suggested in the MX-1 instructions? (Applying some to the CPU and then pressing the heat-sink down on it & rotating).

Also, after you've worked it into both surfaces, do you then just install as normal?
Normally, I'm all for following the installation instructions, especially with AC products, but...

Personally, there is no way I would install MX-1, as they described it! I have never been a fan of globbing on some grease and mashing it down with the cooler. You see, too much grease acts as an insulator -- and that's the best way, I can think of, to get too much grease on the surfaces! :D

And, yes, after you get a nice, even, thin layer on both surfaces -- just install as normal.

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
Originally posted by: Deadalus
Excellent, thanks again.
My pleasure! I love AC MX-1!!! :)

BTW, you might find this interesting...

Source

The article here shows:

http://www.chilledpc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=845

A test made by the russian OC team itc/modlabs; AS5 and ASC are identical in performance, and are, and AS5 is terribly overpriced for the performace it offers:

|results|

|crappy thermal interface|
Tital Nano Blue 59
Panasonic 58.5
KPT-8 (reference) 56.6

|decent thermal interface|
Data Cooler 57
Titan TTG S-104 , S-103 56.7
Pasta Siliconowa 56.6
Zalman CSL 850 56.5
Noctua 56.5
Stars Silver 56.5
Stars 700/Aero 700 56
GeIL GL-TCP1b 55.6
Thermopox 55.6
???-8(BeO) 55.5
Sil more 55.5
Shin-Etsu(white) 55.5
W.P. 55.5
STARS (white, soft pack) 55.5
AKT-842 55
Fanner 420 55
Koolance 55

|good thermal interface|
Arctic Alumina 55.5
Arctic Silver-3 54.6
AOS 54.5
DC-340 54.5
Asetek 54.5
Arctic Silver-5 53.5
Arctic Ceramique 53.5

|great thermal interface|
Apus TMG 301 52.5
Gigabyte 52.5
Titan Nano Grease TTG-G30010 52.5
GFC-M1 D90T8-010 52.5
Shin-Etsu MicroSi G-751 52

|outstanding thermal interface|
Arctic Cooling MX-1 51.5
Shin-Etsu MicroSi MPU-3.7 50.5
Coollaboratory Liquid Pro 50

I was right!! (hehe) Arctic cooling MX-1 is better than Silver-5! The MX-1 stuff looks almost as good as the Shin-Etsu paste. I might get some of that Shin-Etsu stuff just to test it out. (I'm curious)

--- edit ---

The numbers next to each thermal paste show the temp of the CPU (lower is better). Also, the "Shin-Etsu MicroSi G-751 52" seems to be worse than arctic MX-1 and the (better) "Shin-Etsu MicroSi MPU-3.7 50.5" paste (I'll have to remember that when buying.

--- edit ---

Thanks!

Bwahahahaha!

What this guy doesn't realize is Shin-Etsu MicroSi G-751 and Arctic Cooling MX-1 are EXACTLY the same compound!

AC is NOT a chemical company -- they're an aftermarket cooler manufacturer.

Shin-Etsu just brands/repackages their G-751 compound for AC with the MX-1 logo... :D

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
Heh! I'm on a roll now! :D

For anyone following this thread -- ppl that enjoy this kinda stuff -- check out this ancient review...

Everything said in this review still (ahem) applies -- just replace the word 'G751' with 'MX-1'.

Shin-Etsu MicroSi G-751/Arctic Cooling MX-1 has ALWAYS been the best!