Apples are the third best fruit

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
9ntUT7M.gif

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Lychees are up there. Certain mango varieties might be #1. Hard to beat a good honeybell orange.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I did 6 months on the Fruitarian diet once. My picks:

1. Fresh dates. I'm talking high-quality, soft, fresh-off-the-tree dates. Most Americans have never had a high-quality fresh date; most "fresh" dates sold locally are garbage, and the rest are dried, which are nasty. I avoided the dried ones in trail mixes. Fresh, good-quality ones are to die for. I'm a huge mango fan, but I think fresh dates takes the cake for best fruit ever.

2. Mangos, especially champagne mangos.

3. Certain varieties of oranges. There's a couple out of California that I forget the name of, but they're the bomb dot com. Like candy, but you never get sick of eating them like you do with refined sugar.

4. Sugar baby watermelon.

5. Jackfruit...provided you can provide a good one. Good ones are really hard to find stateside. Especially in a smoothie...it's like a pina colada on crack.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Lychees are up there. Certain mango varieties might be #1. Hard to beat a good honeybell orange.

Have you had rambutans before? They're like lychees, but without the Windex aftertaste. Bonus, they also look like they're out of a Dr. Suess book.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001

1. Fresh dates. I'm talking high-quality, soft, fresh-off-the-tree dates. Most Americans have never had a high-quality fresh date; most "fresh" dates sold locally are garbage, and the rest are dried, which are nasty. I avoided the dried ones in trail mixes. Fresh, good-quality ones are to die for. I'm a huge mango fan, but I think fresh dates takes the cake for best fruit ever.

3. Certain varieties of oranges. There's a couple out of California that I forget the name of, but they're the bomb dot com. Like candy, but you never get sick of eating them like you do with refined sugar.

5. Jackfruit...provided you can provide a good one. Good ones are really hard to find stateside. Especially in a smoothie...it's like a pina colada on crack.

Like all of these. I'll add cherimoya somewhere between 2 and 3, though. But I like blueberries, raspberries, cantaloupe, and honeydew before watermelon. And maybe bananas before jackfruit... especially if you can get varieties other than cavendish. Pineapple and kiwifruit after that.

EDIT: proper ranking for me. Just sweet fruit that I've tried (probably forgetting a few). I love fruit. There are literally dozens (hundreds?) of fruits I want to try eventually, especially after seeing The Fruit Hunters on Netflix.

1. Dates
2. Mangoes
3. Cherimoya
4. Plums
5. Oranges
6. Blueberries
7. Raspberries
8. Cantaloupe
9. Peaches/Nectarines
10. Honeydew
11. Bananas
12. Jackfruit
13. Pineapple
14. Watermelon
15. Kiwifruit
16. Carambola (starfruit)
17. Pears
18. Figs
19. Lychees
20. Cherries
21. Persimmon
22. Sweet tamarind
23. Papaya
24. Guava
25. Strawberries
26. Apricots
27. Grapes
28. Apples
29. Blackberries
30. Pomelo
31. Grapefruit
32. Pomegranate
33. Dragonfruit

Last edited:

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Agreed with all of these. I'll add cherimoya somewhere between 2 and 3, though.

Unfortunately I have never had a good one...by the time they reach New England they're pretty bleh. Someday!

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Have you had rambutans before? They're like lychees, but without the Windex aftertaste. Bonus, they also look like they're out of a Dr. Suess book.

Not a big fan of rambutan, though possibly only because it doesn't grow in continental USA and thus has to be imported/irradiated. I'll take a lychee from my yard over any imported fruit. Also don't like how rambutan seeds come apart in the flesh. Longans are in same family and are great too.

Hell, any fresh fruit can be #1 on any given day.

Unico

Aug 28, 2015
1st post – got to start somewhere.

I'll put a vote in for the olive. Tasty on it own, or swimming in a glass of gin.

Reactions: Cheesemoo

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006

Jackfruit grows great down here but it is a pain in the ass to clean. Too much sticky sap.

We're lucky to live in a favorable climate for growing a lot of fruit and having a big enough lot to grow what we want. We're planted out to have fresh fruit pretty much 12 months of the year. Shooting from the hip, we grow:

mangoes (15 - 18) varieties/trees
lychees (2 varieties)
carambola/starfruit (3 varieties)
Peach
pink lemon
Meyer lemon
miracle fruit
pineapple
Japanese plum
sapodilla
Barbados cherry
avocado
longan
passion fruit
mulberry
jaboticaba
blueberry
Dragon fruit
Malay Apple
grumichama
jujube
cherry of the Rio Grande

Probably more that I'm forgetting.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
We're lucky to live in a favorable climate for growing a lot of fruit and having a big enough lot to grow what we want. We're planted out to have fresh fruit pretty much 12 months of the year. Shooting from the hip, we grow:

I hope I get you for my Secret Santa this year :eek:

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Corn. Corn is the best fruit. It doesn't even exist in nature because it's too good and pests will eat it beforenit can germinate.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005

Was at my brother's for a BBQ last month. My son got scared of the rambutans when I tried to get him to eat one.

And how can you not have the "King of Fruits" on your fruits list?

benefits-of-durian-fruit.jpg

http://www.articlesofhealthcare.com/1219/10-benefits-of-durian-fruit-for-body-health.html

It not only tastes good, but it's healthy for you. Just that minor smell thing...

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
I've only had dragon fruit once, and it didn't really seem to have any taste at all. Bad luck or just the way the fruit is?

It is mostly very bland. The purple/pink flesh varieties are mildly sweet (sometimes) and the yellow is supposed to be fairly sweet. To me they all taste like chewing slushy poppy seeds. Not a big fan.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002

So you were an alcoholic then?