Apple water damage policy in detail

Rakehellion

Lifer
Jan 15, 2013
If you break your phone, you're not covered. If you have Apple Care Plus, you're covered for accidental damage.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
If you break your phone, you're not covered. If you have Apple Care Plus, you're covered for accidental damage.
And there's still a per-incident charge for accidental damage. $99/incident for the iPhone 6s.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Thankfully, the new 6s and 6s Plus have excellent water resistance. Apple didn't even advertise the new internal design enhancements - probably because they don't want everyone to assume they can put it through the washing machine. They have padding around the ribbon cable connectors to keep water out and special coatings on most high voltage connections.

Makes sense that Apple is doing this now because the iPhone upgrade program means Apple will get a lot of used phones coming back to them in 1 year and they need to make sure the phones are in good condition internally.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Most policy is, unless you have Apple Care Plus, water damage is a deal breaker. With that said, I believe the 6 and 6s are glued shut and checking the internal water detector isn't something they do in the Apple store. I could be wrong on that, though.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Most policy is, unless you have Apple Care Plus, water damage is a deal breaker. With that said, I believe the 6 and 6s are glued shut and checking the internal water detector isn't something they do in the Apple store. I could be wrong on that, though.
Not glued shut at all. The new 6S and 6S Plus have new sticky rubber seals, but you still just unscrew and lift as usual. There are external immersion indicators in the headphone jack and the lightning dock. I think one of the internal indicators might still be visible through the SIM tray (I know it was on the 5S).

I saw the leaked internal policy for older models posted online once and it actually wasn't as simple as tripped indicator = "deal breaker." I'm guessing that this is what the OP actually wants, but Apple has probably DMCA'd any place that dared share it.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
ta5y8y7u.jpg

http://forums.imore.com/ask-question/296862-apple-care-water-damage-coverage.html
iphone_6-water_damage.png

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204104

Service for the liquid damage to an iPhone or iPod isn't covered by the Apple one-year limited warranty or an AppleCare Protection Plan (APP).

Last edited: