Apple to offer full build to order customizations through iOS app

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
27,709
11
81
Macrumors story

According to sources, the revamped app will debut on Sunday with full support for customizing build-to-order Macs, offering the complete range of options currently available through Apple's website.

Customers are said to be able to customize the full range of processor, memory, hard drive, and other hardware options available for each model, as well as preinstalled software titles. In addition, customers will be able to select add-ons such as AppleCare and printers just as is currently possible through the full online Apple store portals.

Hmm, seems like they're just allowing the same functionality that full web users get, but in app form. I'm not one to buy and configure a computer from my phone so it's not a big deal for me.
 

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
17,571
8
0
Yeah, don't really see the point to this. Buying $1-5 items from your phone is one thing, buying $1,500+ items just makes me uncomfortable, not sure why.
 

Lifted

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2004
5,752
2
0
Why would this be special?

CPU
O 2.2GHz

O 2.4GHz (+$800)

RAM
O 4GB

O 8GB (+$800)

Hard Drive
O 250GB

O 500GB (+$800)

Display
O Glossy

O Matte (+$800)


There, I've just created 50% of the app.
 

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
27,709
11
81
Yeah I don't really know. When I read it initially, I thought they were going into Dell territory, but read more and it didn't make sense.

I wonder if it'll be offered as an in-app purchase. Apple gets a 30% cut and then they also get the remaining 70% :D
 

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
7,608
0
0
So basically they are upgrading the existing 'Apple Store' app to feature everything their website does. Meh...I guess that's cool but their site already works on the iPhone/iPad should you want to spec one out...but maybe ordering doesn't?