"Apple Says Samsung’s Galaxy Note, Jelly Bean Infringe Patent"

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by Ravynmagi, Nov 6, 2012.

1. badb0y

badb0y Diamond Member

Interesting, now pull out them profit reports.
    LOOOOOL, you sound like those Republicans who live in an alternate reality.

2. Spoooon

Spoooon Lifer

Doesn't seem to be a big deal.

3. Zaap

Zaap Diamond Member

Does anyone really believe Apple would go after the Galaxy Note and Jellybean because of legitimate patent infringement, and not because they just want to stifle their competition via litigation?

Anyone who can't admit that Apple is abusing the patent system/courts with all this crap instead of having to actually compete in the marketplace, is just an Apple shill with their head up their ass.

Apple sues Samsung for EVERY popular flagship device and they always dredge up bullshit reasons that everything they can't compete with is somehow a copy. What device could Samsung have copied of Apple's with the Galaxy Note even if they had wanted to? That great 5" iPhone 6 with the stylus? Oh wait, no such thing exists. Doesn't matter- sue anyway.

Jellybean? Well, it exists and only Apple should be able to make a mobile OS. So sue.

I don't know about all the gloom and doom for Apple, but they are definitely cruising for some form of well-deserved corporate bruising.

4. Phynaz

Phynaz Diamond Member

Which competitor has 75% of the global market? Is it Samsung? HTC? Motorola?

5. Zaap

Zaap Diamond Member

I'm guessing maybe he meant Google?

6. jpeyton

jpeyton Moderator <BR> SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones

You mean the one where Samsung pulled in $7+ billion last quarter?

The writing is on the wall: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/nov/07/peak-apple

Couple that with news of Android grabbing 75% (and rising) of the smartphone market and 40% (and rising) of the tablet market, and you can see why Apple's stock hit a 6 month low today. The bullish analysts who were predicting a $1000/share price before the iPhone 5 launch seem a little silly, with new predictions seeing the stock hitting the $425/share range before it stops dropping.

#31 jpeyton, Nov 7, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  7. Fire&Blood

Fire&Blood Platinum Member

Why is it perceived that Apple eventually being surpassed in profits means instant doom for Apple? Just because Samsung may post better numbers doesn't instantly mean Apple's numbers will be horrible. Going by that logic, all Android OEMs should have perished long time ago when the gap between Android and IOS was much bigger. Growth rate may decline further but that ecosystem is pretty much indestructible. Even if Cook & crew tried to destroy IOS or did absolutely nothing to keep it up to date, it would take them 3-4 years to stop the Apple train. Market share is a concern, Apple will fight the decline any way they can, they know they can't dominate for ever but they really don't need to. I'm not buying any of their products again and there is quite a few things I dislike about them, some of those passionately but I simply don't see any reason why they will stop making money.

8. zaydq

zaydq Senior member

Split among many manufacturers who don't make the OS themselves.

Apple builds the hardware and software, they may not have market majority, but the picture is a a lot brighter than 75% Android vs 15% iOS.

9. stormkroe

stormkroe Golden Member

It's all symbolism, so maybe... Don't quote me on this, but my lawyers said we can symbolically punch them in the face. I don't know what this would look like, but I will pay you if you do it.

10. badb0y

badb0y Diamond Member

Yes, now post what HTC made and what Motorola made and add it all together since you guys like to add all the market share numbers together why not the profit numbers too?

Now look up what Apple made.

Apple stock was inflated to begin with, if you are so sure about this prediction you would be shorting the shit out of Apple stock right now.

11. Phynaz

Phynaz Diamond Member

What is Google's market share of the worldwide smartphone market? Low single digits I would guess.

12. Zaap

Zaap Diamond Member

OS-wise, 75%.

13. Mopetar

Mopetar Diamond Member

I'm sure if you keep repeating it long enough it will eventually become true.

I think there's a difference between Android and Google Android. I think most of the Android phones sold in China don't use Google's services so it's difficult to determine how you'd count them.

Aside from that, I think what Phynaz was attempting to get it as that comparing Android to Apple is a flawed analogy. You can compare Android to iOS, but when looking at Apple the company, it doesn't make much sense to compare them against anything other than another company.

14. Zaap

Zaap Diamond Member

What's with all this twisting into pretzels rather than just admit the 75% figure was most-likely referring to Android marketshare? Google, along with every other company, has made huge pushes into the Chinese market which is poised to be among the most profitable in the world for obvious reasons of its sheer size potential. What sort of insanity says they "can't count that"?

Sorry, but none of this makes any sense. He asked what was Google's marketshare of the world smartphone market. ONCE AGAIN: OS-wise, 75%

So is Apple seeking to sue over Jelly Bean the candy, or Jelly Bean the Google company's product, or is everyone "not counting that" for the sheer what-the-hell of it?

15. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

Lolz

16. Chocu1a

Chocu1a Golden Member

POW! Damn, that is too much. God help us all. How could this even get approved?

17. zsdersw

zsdersw Lifer

This, 100%.

18. Oyeve

Oyeve Lifer

Apple probably throws cash around.

19. openwheel

openwheel Golden Member

You might want to double check that. Apple has been awarded such patent.

There is nothing wrong with Apple suing, the real problem is the cult behind Apple that cheers for this kind of behavior.

I get it. That MBP or Iphone is sexy and others envy such high end fashionable gadget, but that doesn't mean Apple is the second coming and one must hop the fruit wagon and discredit everyone else.

Fact is, Apple is not that innovative. Never have, and likely never will.

#44 openwheel, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  20. Phynaz

Phynaz Diamond Member

Yep, but Apple is a company, Android isn't.

Therefore saying Apples' competitor has 75% market share is false. I was just pointing out Batty's logical error.

21. grkM3

grkM3 Golden Member

google makes android so its part of googles company,they are one and the same!

22. preslove

preslove Lifer

This. If you think Apple is legitimately suing in this case, you're just a pathetic fanboy. This is indefensible.

23. DLeRium

DLeRium Lifer

Well yes, this just hit the news November 7. I posted on November 6. Furthermore, people have been screaming rounded rectangles for ages and it's not something that just started yesterday. Prior to the recent news, there wasn't a patent on rounded rectangles, and people just kept distorting it that Apple was patenting shapes and square and rectangles and crap.

It's like watching the 2012 campaigns when the candidates just kept repeating the same things over and over and over again despite being factchecked. THAT was what I was getting at.

Still, the new patent isn't an award on rounded rectangles. It's a portable media device that has rounded rectangles. Apple haters keep pointing out that rounded rectangles are owned by Apple (prior to this patent being awarded) as if they have a patent on the SHAPE itself, meaning ANYTHING that doesn't have sharp edges is in trouble. Yeah keep distorting.

24. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

Oh, okay then that's totally reasonable, and there was me thinking Apple were going for way too broad patents. This is obviously narrow and highly technical.

/sarcasm

25. Zaap

Zaap Diamond Member

LOL! Yeah, everyone was infinitely worried that Apple would go after everything that's a rounded rectangle OTHER than "portable media devices".

*forehead slap* Ohhh... it's just portable media devices with round corners? Oh, okay, that's just fine! *whew* now we can all rest easy that they won't be suing over washer and dryer units and automobile rearview mirrors and all the random stuff people were REALLY concerned about Apple suing over. *eyeroll*

Really, is it THAT difficult for you to just admit: "I like a lot of the products that Apple makes, but yes, their patent/legal shenanigans are going way too far"?