"Apple Says Samsung’s Galaxy Note, Jelly Bean Infringe Patent"

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by Ravynmagi, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Ravynmagi

Ravynmagi Platinum Member

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...-galaxy-note-jelly-bean-infringe-patents.html

I'm having some trouble understanding this latest Apple patent dispute story reported by Bloomberg. They mention Apple wants to include the Galaxy Note and Jelly Bean OS. But the article seems bare on details on why Apple wants to include those two items. But the article mentions Apple was to include up to 17 devices that can potentially use a stylus...

"Andrew Liao, an Apple attorney, told Grewal today that the Galaxy Nexus is the only phone with Jelly Bean that Apple seeks to add to the patent complaint. Liao also said Apple wants to add 17 devices that could use a stylus even though the products don’t ship with a stylus."

So does Apple have some sort of patent on the stylus now?

2. lopri

lopri Elite Member

When you can patent "rectangles with rounded corners," all bets are off. I hope Apple keep pursuing this nonsensical lawsuits so that the state of IP laws (patents, copyrights, trademarks) gets more attention from the people and the legislatures around the country.

3. zerogear

zerogear Diamond Member

Seriously, s.t.f.u. Apple.

4. Mopetar

Mopetar Diamond Member

Really bad article as far as making it clear exactly what's going on. Hopefully some other site will pick up the story and provide some more information.

Also, Apple may very well have some kind of stylus patents from way back in the Newton days. Somehow I doubt it's about that though and that Apple is just using one of it's other patents that's already been brought out in some other trial.

5. DLeRium

DLeRium Lifer

seriously no one patented rectangles with rounded corners. stop with the same BS that gets spewed all over the place.

6. jpeyton

jpeyton Moderator <BR> SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones

Apple is dying a slow death.

Stories like this make me wish they could speed up the process.

7. Fardringle

Fardringle Diamond Member

I'm starting to wonder when Apple lawyers are going to come to my house and sue me for having something like this growing in my yard. After all, it looks a lot like the company logo and even has a very similar name (only missing the capital "A")..

[​IMG]

8. grkM3

grkM3 Golden Member

Pretty sure they did

a flat, clear, black-colored, rectangular front surface with four evenly rounded corners [emphasis mine];

an inset rectangular display screen centered on the front surface that leaves very narrow borders on either side of the display screen and substantial borders above and below the display screen; and

a rounded, horizontal speaker slot centered on the front surface above the display screen,

where the rectangular front surface is otherwise substantially free of ornamentation outside of an optional button area centrally located below the display."

9. Oyeve

Oyeve Lifer

You know, my 2009 MBP fell off my bed the other day and the lower right corner is pretty bashed in and dented. When it hit the floor I smiled and thought "sweet! Now I can get a new Asus ultrabook!", unfortunately the MBP still works. :(

10. Mopetar

Mopetar Diamond Member

This

Really? Someone should probably tell them that so they stop growing then.

What they patented was that whole thing. They don't, in fact, have a patent for a rectangle with rounded corners. What they do have a patent for is a design which includes such an element as a small part of its design. Your line of reasoning is like looking at a dependent claim in a patent and then saying that a company is attempting to patent the contents of that claim without examining the remainder of the patent. It doesn't work that way.

Why don't you just buy a new ultrabook then? You can sell your old MPB on eBay or Craigslist and come out further ahead than you would have been if it had stopped working.

11. grkM3

grkM3 Golden Member

they sued samsung over the corners not the whole device and yes they are not going to make a bunch of specific patents and threw them all together and included the corners.

12. God Mode

God Mode Platinum Member

If Apple loses dominance, they are going to be major patent trolls ala Rambus.

13. Mopetar

Mopetar Diamond Member

No they didn't. That's not how design patents work. They sued Samsung for infringing their design patent. They pointed to those (among others) elements as evidence that Samsung had infringed on their design.

14. Bateluer

Bateluer Lifer

How dominant are they now, when their competitor has 75% global market share?

15. Munky

Munky Diamond Member

CrApple is not doing so well with patent trolling lately. Hopefully that'll cost them dearly.

16. Chrono

Chrono Diamond Member

Design elements included a rectangular shape with rounded corners pretty much along with the placement of the speaker etc blah blah. Thanks for confirming what was said all along.

17. jpeyton

jpeyton Moderator <BR> SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones

As long as they're happy with their increasingly shrinking sliver of the pie, I'm happy.

18. Phokus

Phokus Lifer

I want to punch apple in the face. Since apple is a corporation and corporations are somehow people, this should be possible, right?

19. TerryMathews

TerryMathews Lifer

They probably do have one related to the Newton.

20. Oyeve

Oyeve Lifer

yeah, I avoid apple stores at all costs. On the rare occassion I have to go with someone to the store I listen to the "geniuses" and i just want to hulk-smash.

21. jhansman

jhansman Platinum Member

Can't innovate (anymore)? Losing market share? Sue. When in doubt, let the lawyers run the company.

22. SunnyD

SunnyD Belgian Waffler

Wouldn't it have been interesting back in the old Star Trek days if when Scotty said, "Cap'n... I'm givin' 'er all she's got!" if Kirk turned instead to the Uhura and said, "Lieutenant, open a channel to the Patent Attorneys." to solve all their problems?

23. SunnyD

SunnyD Belgian Waffler

Oh and... just gonna leave this right here.

24. TuxDave

TuxDave Lifer

Can't people post bigger pictures. Anyways, it looks like it's patenting the metal band appearance that surrounds the device (ala iPhone4/4S/5). The bottom isn't... which just confuses me on what exactly are they trying to protect against. Other devices that have a depressed metal band around the device?

#24 TuxDave, Nov 7, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  25. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Lifer

If they claim the stylus is infringing they are looking in the wrong place. Samsung from what I understand licensed that tech from someone else. Plus, it's not like we have any apple decides with a stylus right now in the market.

If this is indeed what they are going to go after it's pathetic, more than pathetic. Someone else built a better mousetrap and now they want to cry about it.