Apple rebuffed by UK Courts over it's Samsung 'apology' - ordered to redo it soon

ChAoTiCpInOy

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
I think it was more the placement of the link being on the bottom and not being in the size font that they wanted.

cheezy321

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2003
I still think its hilarious this judge deemed Samsungs products 'not cool enough'.

Yep, that about sums it up.

cheezy321

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2003
I love how something as mundane as re-writing an apology gets posted in this forum. Yet an ITC judge says Samsung infringed on Apple patents and nobody makes a peep in here. Not even one posting.

Oh yeah, its because Apple won. Lets just ignore that...

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
I love how something as mundane as re-writing an apology gets posted in this forum. Yet an ITC judge says Samsung infringed on Apple patents and nobody makes a peep in here. Not even one posting.

Are you saying Apple isn't getting enough attention? :)

openwheel

Platinum Member
Apr 30, 2012
Apple got pwned!!!

At least some legal systems around the World has common sense.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001

No, its because people are getting sick of seeing Apple's frivolous suits and its positive to see karma coming back around.

Apple should pay me to write their apology. 14 days, sheesh, I could do it in about 15 minutes, for a lot less than their legal time, and it'd be compliance with the court and wouldn't have to be redone again.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
No, its because people are getting sick of seeing Apple's frivolous suits and its positive to see karma coming back around.

Then shouldn't there be a rant about Apple winning said frivolous lawsuits?

Even if they aren't "final" in the sense that there will be appeals to the decision. Nope. None. Reading other news sources, I've seen more than one Apple "win" that was not mentioned in these forums but every little minor Apple "loss" is always front and center.

Hmoobphajej

Apr 8, 2011
You know... you can post them... so the rest of us can see... and you can stop complaining... just to say.

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002

Apple should pay me to write their apology. 14 days, sheesh, I could do it in about 15 minutes, for a lot less than their legal time, and it'd be compliance with the court and wouldn't have to be redone again.

It would be compliant, but then you'd probably get fired by the company pretty quickly. Based on the pomp and circumstance we get when we release new websites, I'm sure it's a VERY picky process on how it looks and what it says. The #1 concern is probably how to write it without resolving Samsung of any guilt in other legal markets. So they can't say "We acknowledge that Samsung did not copy our design" because that would probably kill any other legal proceedings.

So yeah, if you were Apple and you had billions on the line, I'm sure you'd spend more than 15 minutes. :D

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
No, its because people are getting sick of seeing Apple's frivolous suits . . .

If they're frivolous, why are they winning about half of them?

I hate to say it, but I think Cheezy is probably more on the mark than you'd care to admit.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000

I hate to say it, but I think Cheezy is probably more on the mark than you'd care to admit.

He is free to post whatever he deems worth posting and free to ignore whatever he deems not worth reading.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Then shouldn't there be a rant about Apple winning said frivolous lawsuits?

I get infractions from the mods when I point out Apple's hubris that candidly.

It would be compliant, but then you'd probably get fired by the company pretty quickly.

Well, I'd be on contract. :p They pay, I write, they discontinue my contract, they post the apology, I register several destination races. Everybody wins.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Lord Justice Longmore told Mr Beloff: "We are just amazed that you cannot put the right notice up at the same time as you take the other one down."

One of the other judges, Sir Robin Jacob, added: "I would like to see the head of Apple [Tim Cook] make an affidavit about why that is such a technical difficulty for the Apple company."
Apple is getting slapped around by UK courts. Let's see how the "redo" stacks up.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Why are they getting awarded vague design patents in the first place? That's right, because the system is broken, and Apple is taking full advantage of it.

People shouldn't be surprised about the anti-Apple bias in this forum. People people don't like patent trolls.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
People people don't like patent trolls.

I'm pretty certain that based on the definition of how patent trolls just sit on their patents and sue people that make anything vaguely like them, Apple would not be a patent troll since they make millions of rounded rectangular devices. :p

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I'm pretty certain that based on the definition of how patent trolls just sit on their patents and sue people that make anything vaguely like them, Apple would not be a patent troll since they make millions of rounded rectangular devices. :p

They are halfway there. ;)

I think what has irked a lot of people is that you see the traditional patent trolls who are individuals/companies that just sit on patents and do nothing, then you've got the other extreme which is Apple, who has more money than anyone else and still uses the same tactics.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

You been banned from starting threads or something?

Or are you just more keen on whinging in other peoples threads?

Your choice I suppose.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
You been banned from starting threads or something?

I don't know if it's still in effect, but a while ago the mods decided to limit the number of threads about patent cases, trials, etc. and keep things to one thread for the most part.

Probably because these types of threads generally just end up turning into a lot of name calling.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Why are they getting awarded vague design patents in the first place? That's right, because the system is broken, and Apple is taking full advantage of it.

Should probably fix the system then. It's not as though Apple (and every other large tech company for that matter) doesn't get tagged with these kinds of lawsuits or that they were the first company get awarded patents that people disagree with. You work within the system that you have. Not doing so is just stupid and asking for trouble. Sitting around and complaining about it without actually doing anything to change it is about as pointless as yelling at a tornado.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
I get infractions from the mods when I point out Apple's hubris that candidly.

I disagree.

Post the news source. Point out what you think is wrong with it and why the decision is ridiculous. Post it in a mature manner and I guarantee you no one gets an infraction. The key operative is "mature" which is not what everyone abides by.

I can disagree with someone, even think they are stupid for thinking differently than me, but when I present my argument on why they are wrong I have to be mature about it and point out why he is wrong without using personal insults, direct or otherwise. And I have to be as factual as reasonably possible when presenting my argument without using lies. Learning to separate what constitutes a fact and what is an opinion helps in this regard. Especially in today's internet where everyone is a blogger with his 2cents and 2/3rds of the article is opinion rather than fact.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I want to know which braindead moron thought it was a good idea to spit in the face of 3 judges that are apparently not idiots.

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
I don't know if it's still in effect, but a while ago the mods decided to limit the number of threads about patent cases, trials, etc. and keep things to one thread for the most part.

Probably because these types of threads generally just end up turning into a lot of name calling.
That was largely a failed experiment at that.
Keeping everything about patents, trials, and litigation in a single thread would be impossible to keep up with. If I was only interested in reading about Oracle vs. Google, I'd have to read all the Motorola vs. Microsoft, Apple vs. every single Android manufacturer gunk thrown all in between randomly which I may not be interested in as much. I'm sure other people have their own preferences.

When the mods tried implementing this rule, it was something most of the people were tired off because almost 80% of threads on the front page were about patents, trials, and litigation.
Now it's much more bearable with it being only 3-4 threads or so on the first 2 pages.