Apple pulls out of India

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
How is this helping anybody? Don't you understand that companies go to places not because they like those places, but because they can save a bit of money? If Apple is doing this for a symbolic reason, then too bad for them. It won't win them any more fans.

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
Originally posted by: raildogg
How is this helping anybody? Don't you understand that companies go to places not because they like those places, but because they can save a bit of money? If Apple is doing this for a symbolic reason, then too bad for them. It won't win them any more fans.

Methinks thou assumes too much.

Maybe the quality of the service was horrible? A month would be enough time to recognize that.

Cheap |= good.

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
Originally posted by: her209
There's something "dirty" about that title. :D

hehehe

I *really* wanted to put something about "splooge" in the summary, but decided against it.

;)

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

Yeah, that is a great strategy. Save some money and lose customers because of it. Dell USED to be renowned for their support. I'd now rank them close to the bottom. When I call my bank (BoA), it is EXTREMELY refreshing to hear someone from the US on the phone. That's a BIG plus I give to the bank. I commend Apple for pulling out and hope the rest of the companies do the same.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: JackBurton

Yeah, that is a great strategy. Save some money and lose customers because of it. Dell USED to be renowned for their support. I'd now rank them close to the bottom. When I call my bank (BoA), it is EXTREMELY refreshing to hear someone from the US on the phone. That's a BIG plus I give to the bank. I commend Apple for pulling out and hope the rest of the companies do the same.

yeap. i have a slight hearing loss. trying to understand someone from india is fricken a pain. most of the time i end up just hanging up on them and try not to dell with the company anymore.

Shadowknight

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001

I don't know how support is since Gateway and e-machines merged, but around the time the M6805 laptop came out (i.e., the original company founder bought the company back after the people he sold it to ran it into the ground), they had their call center based in Texas. Longest wait time I ever had was 3 minutes, average wait time was 30 seconds, the people spoke english, were easy to understand, and actually knew something about the product, so you weren't stuck in "let-me-read-from-the-manual-and-make-you-do-steps-that-have-nothing-to-do-with your-problem hell".

GalvanizedYankee

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2003
An article was linked about a month ago at majorgeeks.com.

It stated that many companies were moving phone support from India to Ireland because
of communication problems causing customer complaints.

...Galvanized

daveshel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Their new ads are about differentiating them from PCs, so maybe this strategy is about differentiating them from companies who still believe American consumers will get used to crappy tech support.

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
30 people, no big deal. India will continue to get more companies and Apple can go stuff it up their a$$

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
Funny, how the Americans here love globalization only when it serves them.

If you think this is the great withdrawl, you are all smoking crack.

Free trade works both ways and is not a one way street.

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
How is this helping anybody?

Don't you understand that companies go to places not because they like those places, but because they can save a bit of money?

Awwwwww some of your rich America hating buddies lose money???

Please use the button at the top right of this page, labeled 'logout'.

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005

There may be communication problems at Dell, that much I admit. But we are much better when it comes to actually solving problems. Dell is not a idiot to keep shooting itself in the foot.

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Braznor

There may be communication problems at Dell, that much I admit. But we are much better when it comes to actually solving problems. Dell is not a idiot to keep shooting itself in the foot.

...AN idiot...