Apple Loses In Courts Again; Infringes On FaceTime Patents

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by jpeyton, Nov 7, 2012.

1. jpeyton

jpeyton Moderator <BR> SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones

Ordered To Pay $368 Million

That's a good chunk of their Samsung winnings, gone in a flash.

When will Apple (and others) concede that the current environment of technology patent litigation is a zero sum game?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Apple Loses Courts Forum Date
    Apple screws up 8.0.1 update for 6/6+ - Users lose cell service and touchid Mobile Devices & Gadgets Sep 24, 2014
    Apple sues "ifone' in Mexico, loses. The ifone trademark was filed in 2003! Mobile Devices & Gadgets Nov 2, 2012
    Apple loses UK appeal: Must advertise Samsung did not copy! Mobile Devices & Gadgets Oct 18, 2012
    Is Apple about to lose its dominance in the smartphone/tablet market? Mobile Devices & Gadgets Oct 4, 2012
    Apple, Samsung both lose in South Korea patent case Mobile Devices & Gadgets Aug 24, 2012

3. postmortemIA

postmortemIA Diamond Member

It might be zero sum when it comes to money they make out of these. It is not zero sum game for these for which litigation is only source of income (patent trolls).

However, big players like Apple (stupidly) believe that they can disrupt competition's product supply and development of future products by these lawsuits.

In other words, if money was no problem, and competition is making good products; how do you legally stop them? With lawyers. This is what Microsoft used to do.

4. ponyo

ponyo Lifer

That's nice chunk of change. I was wondering why VHC stock price jumped 28% today.

5. Zaap

Zaap Diamond Member

So true. Apple has become everything and worse that they used to rally against Microsoft and IBM for. They now ARE the Big Brother on a screen that needs someone to run in and toss a hammer through.

Saddest of all is the fans who've gone along with it just to cheerlead for their team.

6. HeXen

HeXen Diamond Member

Nintendo was also like that at one time, back in the 8 bit days. I remember when they sued Sega because they repackaged and shrank their console to make it cheaper. Lost obviously.

But that's business, i'm just a consumer of products.

7. sjwaste

sjwaste Diamond Member

Yup. I'll never understand brand loyalty with technology products, especially personal and consumer electronics. It just bolsters my belief that the average consumer is a complete idiot.

And I like/own some Apple products too. I just only buy them when they're the best tool for the job, otherwise I go buy whatever else is.

8. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Lifer

Without building upon what has already been thought of or done before and refining it and building upon that base to make a better product, there would never be any new products.

9. Oyeve

Oyeve Lifer

I wonder who will bail them out if they continue this BS and fail.

10. BladeVenom

BladeVenom Lifer

11. Phokus

Phokus Lifer

Good, i hope apple continues getting their asses kicked, then maybe they'll jump on the bandwagon for IP reform.

12. Kenmitch

Kenmitch Diamond Member

I wouldn't worry about it. Many will defend Apple and buy their products no matter what.

The funny thing is the devoted seem to be ignoring this thread....Go figure :)

13. Mopetar

Mopetar Diamond Member

Reminds me of the line from one of the newer Batman movies: "You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Not to suggest that they're evil, but if you were to take where the company was at when it was founded and what it wanted to do, and where they are now, they'd be two different things entirely. Victim of their own success, just like pretty much every other company that's grown that large.

Bail who out? Apple?

I think they'll be fine on their own.

14. BladeVenom

BladeVenom Lifer

Yea, if Apple ever decides the current laws are more of a burden than benefit, they'll just pay to have them changed. Which I hope they do. Patents laws seem more of a hindrance to technology now than a benefit.

15. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

Guys, patent trolling is not good no matter who gets burned.

We need less stupid lawsuits not more.

16. Kenmitch

Kenmitch Diamond Member

Patent trolling isn't a good thing but what's a company to do? You either pay for the right to use or find a work around that doesn't violate the patent(s). It's vague patents that should have never been awarded that mess things up!

Looking at the company in questions website it does look like they are willing to negotiate!

I'm pretty sure Apple knew that they were infringing on the patents from the getgo. They figured they'd take there chances in court and lost....End of sympathy towards Apple! I'm pretty sure Apple has stolen more than it's paid for in the end.

#15 Kenmitch, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  17. Mopetar

Mopetar Diamond Member

If it were this easy, some other company would have already done it.

I'll have to look, but I recall reading in some article related to the case that Apple's engineers didn't even bother thinking about patents or what might be out there. They probably could have designed around existing patents, but I don't think they bothered to even see what those existing patents were so they ended up getting burned.

Most software patents are pretty easy to get around once you pick through the details.

18. Zaap

Zaap Diamond Member

The second you see the words: "A U.S. Court... Eastern District of Texas" you know it's Patent Troll central. The same company just filed a new lawsuit against Apple today.

http://virnetx.com/virnetx-files-new-lawsuit-against-apple/

"In its complaint, VirnetX seeks both damages and injunctive relief. The accused products include the iPhone 5, iPod Touch 5th Generation, iPad 4th Generation, iPad mini, and the latest Macintosh computers."

But of course you won't find many people these days having much sympathy for Apple getting stung by a version of the same game they've been playing themselves.

You ask, what's a company to do? How about work to clean up the system, rather than abuse it further? Apple's lameass idea so far has been to abuse the hell of of it, with the idea that if they're the biggest shark in the filthy pool, they can eat all the other sharks. But they don't seem to have considered eventually being eaten themselves by 10,000 smaller piranhas.

So a better question is, what's a company to do when they've fostered a broken patent system that eventually backfires on them and stifles their own ability to create new products along with everyone else? What's any company to do when you can't make virtually anything that doesn't suck or that will not work in some crucial way, because 10,000 patent trolls are waiting to sue the hell out of you if you use the overly-broad concepts and ideas that do work?

#17 Zaap, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  19. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

Well said that man. :thumbsup:

20. OBLAMA2009

OBLAMA2009 Diamond Member

facetime is a stolen product. i just wish apple would start inventing their own products