Apple iPod or MiniDisc Walkman??

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FishTankX

Platinum Member
Oct 6, 2001
Yeah, I know. I just saw it today. It's a pretty cool machine. It costs around 150$ though.. you could get a low level MD player for that much.

thorin

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well I just bit the bullet yesterday. We had been discussing NetMDs in this other thread and I was completely on the fence about buying one. However over the weekend my brother attended a Friends & Family sale at FutureShop and was able to get me a MZN505S for $206 + Tax CDN (normally it's $249 + Tax). So I went for it, I won't receive the unit until Thurs to play with but from the reviews etc that I've seen MD is the way to go if you can find a deal.

Thorin

thorin

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'll post some stuff on Saturday once I've had a chance to play with it. (Assuming you meant an update on the NetMD).

Thorin

Ketteringo

Banned
Feb 2, 2002
I would get one of the new NetMD walkmen with 32x recording. Ive got an older minidisc player and I love EVERYTHING about it except the crappy 1x recording. I would get a new one but the old one just wont die!

thorin

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: FishTankX
:) I meant on SpeedyTurtle's purchasing decision, but net MD would be good.

As promised:

I recently purchased a Sony MZN505S NetMD. An simply put it rules.

1) Yes OpenMG forces you to use crappy check-in/check-out features .... BUT NO ONE DOES ..... the vast majority of NetMD users have figured out that Simple Burner combine with Nero virtual drive are a GOD send. There are also other alternatives like RealOne (which I haven't checked yet since I've only had the unit for 2 wks and only had one disc until a few days ago).

2) It's HARD to make the thing skip, I can run down the street with it do jumping jacks etc and it doesn't skip.

3) It's AMAZINGLY small and light.

4) With the use of a SoundFeeder I can use it in my car with ease and it hides away in my little console compartment because it's also freakin small (I bought the SF100).

5) USB transfer is fast (even using USB 1.1) the software (both Simple Burner and OpenMG) process multiple files at once.

6) The discs are completely re-writable.

7) The units CAN be found cheapily (I got mine for a sweet $206 CDN). (FutureShop currently has the MZN505S on sale for $229 CDN (249-20) plus their throwing in 5 JVC discs ($26 CDN).

Thorin