Apple Introduces the Mighty Mouse

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Varun

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2002
Originally posted by: ViRGE
Originally posted by: Varun
Originally posted by: MrCodeDude
Originally posted by: Promethply
Apple's simple yet elegant design is simply admirable.
LOL. Too bad they're a good couple thousand miles behind the competition.

The MX700 has 8 buttons, it was released two years ago. The Mighty Mouse has 3 buttons (if the ball can act as a button), it was just released.

Apple is so revolutionary. :roll:
Except it has 5 buttons, not 3. Way to RTFA...

quote from the article:

you get the programability of a four-button mouse in a single-button design.

Way to RTFA... :)
Let's count the logical buttons:

1) Left click
2) Right click
3) Scroll ball click
4) Left side(thumb) click
5) Right side(ring finger) click

That's 5.

ViRGE, you take things far too seriously. Anyways the Scroll ball doesn't click, at least according to the article:

You?ll Really Click
Touch-sensitive technology under Mighty Mouse?s seamless top shell detect where you?re clicking, transforming your sleek, one-button mouse into a two-button wonder. But the innovation doesn?t end there. Apple engineers added force-sensing buttons on either side of Mighty Mouse that let you squeeze the mouse between your thumb and finger, activating Mac OS X Tiger Dashboard, Exposé or a whole host of other, customizable features ? instantly.

Left + Left Side + Right + Right Side = 4

Apparently the innovation ended there, and they never thought of a middle button.

halfadder

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2004
1) Left click
2) Right click
3) Scroll ball click
That's 5.
Apparently the innovation ended there, and they never thought of a middle button.
Neither of you are correct. According to the MacWorld UK and PC Magazine reviews of this mouse, you can indeed us the scroll ball as a third (middle) button. The side buttons can be squeezed together for a fourth button. There is no difference between "left side" and "right side" clicking, they both register as the same fourt button click.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Originally posted by: tk109
They try way to hard to be "innovative". They always want that different "elitist" look or something instead of just giving us a streight forward easy to use design. Put to much gimmicky stuff on it.

Yes, so they fall behind by 5 years and then upgrade everythign all at once and then BAM, they're suddenly huge innovaters even though we've had multi button mice for years... Just because they make it look sleeker than usual they deserve a cookie for ultimately holding their users back?

I have used a 3rd party mouse with Apple hardware for years, now that there's a first party option that is acceptable, for $50 is it really worth it? I guess if you have to have your mouse match your computer...

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: halfadder
1) Left click
2) Right click
3) Scroll ball click
That's 5.
Neither of you are correct. According to the MacWorld UK and PC Magazine reviews of this mouse, you can indeed us the scroll ball as a third (middle) button. The side buttons can be squeezed together for a fourth button. There is no difference between "left side" and "right side" clicking, they both register as the same fourt button click.
Humm, I'll accept that. 4 buttons it is.:eek:

imported_ArtVandalay

Jul 19, 2005
Originally posted by: wkinney
What does this mouse improve on that the regular mouse is lacking in??? If you want more buttons, there are 3+ button mouses, if you want horizontal scrolling those exist too...
It sounds like its taking extra features that currently exist for mouses and adding a learning curve on how to use them.

This differs from Apple's MO .. how?

halfadder

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2004
Originally posted by: bunnyfubbles
Yes, so they fall behind by 5 years and then upgrade everythign all at once and then BAM, they're suddenly huge innovaters even though we've had multi button mice for years... Just because they make it look sleeker than usual they deserve a cookie for ultimately holding their users back?

I have used a 3rd party mouse with Apple hardware for years, now that there's a first party option that is acceptable, for $50 is it really worth it? I guess if you have to have your mouse match your computer...

Who's calling this Innovative? Even die hard Mac users are saying "hmm, interesting" at most. It's only Apple who's banging the innovation drum over this product annoucement, and they're entitled--hell, they're obligated--to do so. If I was an investor in AAPL stock I would HOPE Apple would use some marketing tactics.

The only Macs this matches are the iMac and the iBook. I *wish* Apple would make a brushed aluminum keyboard and mouse set to match the PowerMac G5, PowerBook G4, and their monitors. I don't see why they couldn't, the bezel could be aluminum like the rim around the Mac Mini, and the keys could be the silver plastic with backlit lasercut letters just like in the backlit keyboard models of the PowerBook G4.

On the Mac, I've used two and three button mice and right-click contextual menus as far back as Mac OS 8, back before USB and when Macs used AppleDesktopBus for mice/keyboard interface. I love my Logitech but I am happy to see that Apple has at least finished the "blessing" cycle for multiple mouse buttons. They first started support right-clicking in their OS (or control-clicking, they do the same thing) when Mac OS 8 shipped. The desktop/Finder and several Apple apps were greatly improved with the right-click contextual menus, but you had to buy a mouse from someone other than Apple. When Final Cut Pro came along a year later, Apple recommended the use of a three button mouse. When Shake came out a few years back, Apple *required* the use of a three button mouse to access all of the features and menus.

BTW, Apple first supported multiple buttons (with a third party mouse) and the control-click and option/alt-click alternatives when they shipped A/UX, their first Unix based OS back around 1990. They supported the same methods again when they shipped MacX, their X11 interface for System 7, around 1992.

halfadder

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2004
Originally posted by: ArtVandalay
Originally posted by: wkinney
What does this mouse improve on that the regular mouse is lacking in??? If you want more buttons, there are 3+ button mouses, if you want horizontal scrolling those exist too...
It sounds like its taking extra features that currently exist for mouses and adding a learning curve on how to use them.

This differs from Apple's MO .. how?

That's exactly it... it doesn't. This is why I generally like the latest crop of Apple products. Apple shops around for new features and abilities and drops them into their products for advanced users to explore.

People have been able to author DVD discs with menus and such since the mid 1990s. Apple's iDVD isn't even as good as the professional DVD authoring packages, but it's easy enough to use for someone who doesn't know what a VOB is and doesn't know anything about scripting languages. The same goes for the burning music to CD or using an MP3 player, these were all possible for YEARS before Apple did them, but they simply made it easier and made it work right in the first try.

I bought a Mac Mini for my grandpa to replace his crusty old, spyware infested PC. It was a drop in replacement and he appreciated the many similarities to Windows. In fact, he learned most of iPhoto on his own and was quickly making his own photo albums, printing, editing photos, etc. A few months ago I showed him the basics of iMovie and how he could plug his MiniDV camera into the Mini to download, sort, and edit his home videos. When I replaced the older, slower DVD-R in my PowerBook, I installed it in his Mini and gave him some DVD-R blanks telling him I would stop by to show him iDVD eventually. You know what? He figured it out on his own and made a couple simple discs with simple menus (animations and menus from a template).

Apple doesn't innovate any more than Dell or HP innovate. Apple takes existing discoveries from many different companies and researchers and puts them into a neat package. It costs a little more than a PC, but I think it's amazing that they can do it at all.

Apple isn't the bleeding edge, and often isn't even the leading edge. They're more like Mercedes-Benz or BMW, or even Toyota/Lexus... they have the features, toys, and sometimes speed. They're reliable and usually a good choice. They're not the cheapest. They're not the fastest. But you'll generally have great results. It's no supercar, nor is it a tuner car.

And folks... nobody is trying to take your Logitech mouse away. Nobody is trying to take your PC away. This is just another product from another company. Don't get your panties in a bunch. Is it soooo weird to imagine that a person can have and enjoy both PCs and a Mac (PowerBook) and can enjoy using both XP and OS X?

Varun

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2002
Originally posted by: halfadder
1) Left click
2) Right click
3) Scroll ball click
That's 5.

Thanks for the clarification Halfadder!