Apple ID password not working when trying to update apps

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
I've been trying to update some apps and my phone asks for an apple ID password. Every time I type it will not take and I'm stuck in an endless loop of the phone asking for a password. I've changed the password on my computer, logged out of apple ID on my phone, logged back into apple ID on phone, logged out of apple ID in the app store (using the option at the bottom), and logged back into apple ID in the app store. Even after all this, when trying to update an app that requires an apple ID password, it still will not accept the password. How can this be fixed?

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
I don't think what I am about to say is your problem but I thought I would mention it just in case...

I had a somewhat similar experience on macOS, in this particular case the problem was actually that the apps in question were purchased with a different AppleID then the ID that the mac was currently signed in with.

However, we did receive an error message that led us in the right direction to rectify the problem. Doesn't seem like you are getting that here with iOS.

I am not even sure what I am describing is possible with iOS but you might look into it.

- KeithP

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Oops, I did not read the OP carefully.

I don't think what I am about to say is your problem but I thought I would mention it just in case...

I had a somewhat similar experience on macOS, in this particular case the problem was actually that the apps in question were purchased with a different AppleID then the ID that the mac was currently signed in with.

However, we did receive an error message that led us in the right direction to rectify the problem. Doesn't seem like you are getting that here with iOS.

I am not even sure what I am describing is possible with iOS but you might look into it.

- KeithP
That's certainly possible on iOS. The underlying problem is that Apple does not allow customers to merge Apple IDs.

If the app's data is not valuable, one workaround would be to delete the app and re-download it from the App store.

Nick Arthur

Jan 16, 2016
same to me. I thought my password is correct but still failed. so I have to click forget password and set new password many times, it's quite annoying.