Apple I for sale on eBay

sparkyclarky

Platinum Member
May 3, 2002
As seen here. It's going for a hefty chunk of change, but hey, the Smithsonian displays one of these. While not the earliest PC, it certainly was incredibly important for the early PC industry. Pretty cool!

sparkyclarky

Platinum Member
May 3, 2002
Originally posted by: mwmorph
us 20k is still pretty high a starting bid. i wouldnt pay that much.

Neither would I, but if you collect old computers it's something to consider, as this is a very rare item. From what I've read, somewhere around 150 of these things were made. Very few are still around, as computer hardware is hardly ever perceived as having any sort of lasting value/worth, and is consequentially tossed before it achieves the status of being 'classic' (sort of the opposite of what happens with some vehicles, where you know from the get go that they are most likely going to be worth something down the line). I find some of these old computers fascinating, just seeing how things have changed. I still have a 286 AMD chip I pulled out of my grandma's old Tandy computer. Fun times!

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
There were quite a few Apple 1s made - Woz was selling them as DIY kits. This is an actual Apple motherboard though - it's silkscreened on the motherboard. It's ultra, ultra rare.

If anyone here is a collector, let me point you towards another rarity that pops up on eBay from time to time. The so-called 'Mark Twain' IIgs. It's also known as the ROM04 IIgs. It was much closer to being a Mac than the ROM03s were, and didn't make it out of the prototype stages although a few slipped out. They're fairly cheap now, but they're going to be uber-valuable someday.

EDIT: Lisas that wern't converted to Mac XL are probably going to be up there too, someday.

sparkyclarky

Platinum Member
May 3, 2002
Originally posted by: TerryMathews
There were quite a few Apple 1s made - Woz was selling them as DIY kits. This is an actual Apple motherboard though - it's silkscreened on the motherboard. It's ultra, ultra rare.

If anyone here is a collector, let me point you towards another rarity that pops up on eBay from time to time. The so-called 'Mark Twain' IIgs. It's also known as the ROM04 IIgs. It was much closer to being a Mac than the ROM03s were, and didn't make it out of the prototype stages although a few slipped out. They're fairly cheap now, but they're going to be uber-valuable someday.

EDIT: Lisas that wern't converted to Mac XL are probably going to be up there too, someday.

I wouldn't mind a Lisa to see what the first consumer PC with a GUI would have been like to use. It was a hell of a machine for the time, with the original Mac being a pale comparison as far as overall hardware configuration. It's unfortunate that they priced the darn think at $10,000, pretty much guaranteeing that it would flop in the market place.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: mwmorph
us 20k is still pretty high a starting bid. i wouldnt pay that much.

You wouldn't expect to pay more than $5000 for an old videocard either, but I think that's what some Voodoo5 6000 cards sold for already.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Someone should tell the seller that computars are not minted. Neither are baseball cards nor comic books nor Hummel figurines. Well, let's save some time and just agree that only coins are minted. M'kay? ;)