Apple gave me a stolen replacement phone!

Discussion in 'All Things Apple' started by Scholzpdx, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Scholzpdx

Scholzpdx Diamond Member

As some of you know from a thread that I posted earlier in the week that my wife and I dropped AT&T for Straight Talk. AT&T was happy to unlock my iPhone 3GS 16GB (purchased from another AT&T customer, while they were on contract mind you) but were unable to unlock my wife's iphone 3GS 8GB.

What the hell?

This is my wife's third iPhone 3GS as her first two locked up from software failures (both on 4.3) and never turned on again. The third phone we went to an apple store near Libertyville Illinois (I am in the Navy and was based near there) in January of this year, and the clerk we were issued gave us her current iPhone 3GS as a replacement. I could tell it wasn't 100% new, but it was told to us that it was refurbished.

One major question, if it was stolen, wouldn't AT&T block it from the network!? I love how they take my subsidized-price payments and then when I leave them they tell me the phone is stolen.

And now I'm shit out of luck in terms of unlocking it! I've never, ever heard of this happening!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Apple gave stolen Forum Date
    Lost Apple iPhone 5 app contents All Things Apple Wednesday at 12:38 PM
    Apple Watch Series 2. Should I bother? All Things Apple Jan 17, 2017
    MacBook for video / photo editing All Things Apple Jan 9, 2017
    Frustrating time to be an Apple user All Things Apple Dec 27, 2016
    Apple care just gave me a new laptop All Things Apple Apr 21, 2010

3. Subyman

Subyman Moderator <br> VC&G Forum

So, contact the apple store. You didn't take the phone without a receipt did you? You always, always get a receipt otherwise the employee can screw you.

4. Paperlantern

Paperlantern Platinum Member

Probably happens more often than you think, the fact that its stolen never comes to light though.

Someone loses thier phone, reports it stolen, then finds it a couple days later in the couch cushion but never informs AT&T that it was found because it still works.

I dunno, only thing I can think of.

5. bigrash

bigrash Lifer

That sucks. Contact Apple to explain the situation.

6. TuxDave

TuxDave Lifer

Yeah let me know when you call customer service and IF they screw you over, then it'll be something to rage about,

7. Scholzpdx

Scholzpdx Diamond Member

I'll be contacting them later today when I can get the IMEI from my wife. Hopefully they can do whatever they can to let me get my phone unlocked. I want to keep the phone, and I'm not looking for a new one. I just want to be able to unlock the phone that I've been paying massive subsidized prices on.

This really sucks. Do they log where they get their phones from?

8. thetechfreak

thetechfreak Member

IMO they do keep a record like this. Felt bad seeing your problem :(

9. Slamrish

Slamrish Junior Member

I used to be a technician at Apple, the stores have a hands off approach with stolen product. Only because they cannot track it properly, the replacement phones you receive are re-manufactured phoned for the most part. Only a small percentage are actually NEW phones. What does happen though when we sent customer phone's back to Apple and get back stuff sometimes we would have a phone in a box that didn't go through any type of the process aside from having the serial number replaced. It was something I heavily complained about to management, but it always occurred multiple times a week. I actually paid attention to these finite details as I am sure some of the other people I had worked with didn't really give a ***.

They also have every visit recorded, if it was a normal transaction (Not at the Genius Bar) the EasyPay Touches the employees use can be used to search for all your purchases via your receipt ID, Email Address or Credit Card number. If you went to the Genius Bar they have a system called iRepair which stores it all by Serial Number and your personal info! (This is why it's very important to register your Apple Products!)

#8 Slamrish, Dec 10, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012