Apple G5 - From Fastest PC ever to "Generally as fast as Intel"

misle

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
I just received an "Apple eNews" spam mail from Apple.

In this eNews it boasts:
"After testing its performance against top-of-the-line dual-processor Dell Precision 650 workstations, PC Magazine concludes that the Power Mac G5 is indeed ?generally as fast as the best Intel-based workstations currently available,? says columnist Tony Dreier."

They are quoting from this article: HERE

Now, just a month ago, the G5 was the fastest thing ever!!! and now it is just as fast as Intel based computers?

I don't get it...

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
because, for the average person, workstation != pc

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Yeah, the difference here though is Apple public relations vs. a third party (PC Mag) review article.

It's not a great article overall, but it seems to be relatively fair. In the tests they did, the dual G5 beats the similarly priced Dell in most tests, but the Dell wins some.

Anyways, in real life I'd say that this fastest PC thing is really bull. It all depends on personal preferences and usage. If you use AutoCAD, the G5 will be useless. If you use Final Cut Pro, the Xeon will be useless. Fortunately, both machines are damn fast. And if you use Photoshop, both machines are probably overkill except for the high-end pros.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
the difference between "equally as fast as it's only competitor" and "faster than all it's competitors" is not particularly huge.