Apple claims 50 percent of portable gaming market

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Terzo

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2005
Look at it this way... nobody is saying that the iPhone 3G is the best camera on the planet, yet there are more pictures on Flickr taken with the 3G iPhone than ANY other camera (cell phone or not) on the market? Why? Because it's always in your pocket, ready to take a mediocre looking snapshot when you need it.

Same logic applies to Apple's game selection. Most of the games suck, but they're still going to have a massive market share because there are so many people who have instant access to Apple's app store all of the time.

Besides, we all know phones are supposed to be used for calling your girl and texting your grandma. :)

I think that is why people are having issues with apple's claim. It makes sense that the majority of pictures would be taken with a cell phone camera, since they're almost always available. So why doesn't apply claim x% of the point and shoot or compact camera market? As much as I feel analogies in arguments are full of fail, I'm going to make one here and say that's the same damn thing they're doing when they claim half of the portable gaming market.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
the iPad is a fucking ridiculous product that no one actually needs, period. one reviewer said "it filled a void I didn't even know existed" you know why he said that? because he's an apple drone. if you have a smart phone and a notebook you have absolutely no void to fill with the iPad, it's a pointless device at that point. Why have an iPad when you can have your smart phone filled up with all the same fucking shit with the same amount of fucking storage AND it fits in your pocket. Then when you need an actual computer OMFG there's the notebook! Give me a break the thing is fucking retarded and so niche there's no way the thing would actually sell without the Reality Distortion Field.

Agreed!

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
The iPad has utility. I see lots of people using them on the train to and from NYC.

As far as the gaming claim. He's always done stupid shit like that. In fact, most companies do it. Schools do it for ratings. Companies do it for headlines. He's marketing Apple, it's his job. We may know the claim is ridiculous but that's OK.

Narmer

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2006
The iPad has utility. I see lots of people using them on the train to and from NYC.

As far as the gaming claim. He's always done stupid shit like that. In fact, most companies do it. Schools do it for ratings. Companies do it for headlines. He's marketing Apple, it's his job. We may know the claim is ridiculous but that's OK.

You must not be talking about the subway system because all I see on those are Kindles.

Mar 11, 2004
Seriously portable gaming was always a joke and to me console gaming is a joke too. If you want real gaming sit yourself down at a keyboard and mouse. The only place where video games might rule is arcade games like street fighter or perhaps sports games, but my friend and I honestly dominated NBA Live on the PC so well, we thought the console versions were kinda lame. But Madden I'll agree requires a console.

What?

The bold part specifically makes no sense at all whatsoever.

Key West

Banned
Jan 20, 2010
Full of unpopular titles other than stupid games like Mario Kart and kiddie titles.

I'd rather buy a console and play it than buy one for cheaper that has almost thing worth playing and let it collect dust.

Besides, there's a BILLION other cool things I can do with a 360 that the Wii couldn't hope to accomplish.

You're exactly proving his point. There are 100 casual guys, girls, kids, mom, and dads for every 'gamer' like you.

That's why Wii was a runaway success. It targeted the mainstream. Neither Nintendo or mainstream people give a shit about what your 360 can do and your win ratio.

Apple is on the same vein why they're claming to be successful on their 'casual gaming'

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
That's like claiming there are over 300 million murderers in America since that's how many own knives.

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999
Why does Steve Jobs play fast and loose with iPod touch sales numbers?

For Jobs' claim to be true he would have to be referring to recent sales. In the last quarter, according to Technologizer, Nintendo sold 3.15 million DS units and Sony 1.2 million PSP units, for a combined total of 4.35 million units.

It probably did considerably better than that. Piper Jaffray's Gene Munster, the only analyst I know who breaks out iPod touch unit sales, estimates that Apple sold more than 6.8 million units last quarter and could sell -- including back-to-school specials -- 7.2 million in the quarter that ends this month.

hmm...

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
and m$ was the dominant video game seller in the days of minesweeper.

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
I had a netbook for a while. Absolutely hated it. I hated it for the same reasons I hate using my laptop when I'm at home.

Scenario: Need to google something really fast.
1. Decide I need to Google something.
2. Go get netbook from my room since it looks tacky in living room.
3. Sit down on couch with it.
4. Shit, my battery is fucking dead. Plug in charger into wall. Plug charger into netbook. Now I have a fucking cable going across the couch and I'm facing half sideways so it will reach.
5. Ok, it has enough battery. Turn on netbook.
6. Wait for boot. This is annoying. This is annoying every time. Yes, it boots fast, only a couple minutes, but still super frustrating.
7. Ok, I'm now in WinXP. Log in. Wait another 2 minutes for services and programs to fire up.
8. Open Chrome.
9. Google something.

The same situation on my iPad.
1. Grab iPad off coffee table, where I keep it, because it actually looks cool.
2. Hit home. Oh, look, 90% battery because it NEVER dies.
3. Hit safari.
4. Google.

And I will admit - I sold my iPad a few weeks ago because I didn't think I used it enough.

Know what I realized? I really, really miss it. It is just so damn convenient. I'm 25, and I use the internet all the time, just like all of you do. Everyone who comes to my place uses the internet. Everyone loves using it because it is SO SIMPLE.

Aside from that, the games are super fun, and it is the perfect device to "let me show you this awesome video!!" on.

After I sold it I originally planned on buying a cheap Android tablet once they were ~$250... I have realized since that the Apple Store is just too good. I'll get a new iPad soon.

What do I do now? Exactly what I used to do. I google everything on my iPhone because its too fucking annoying to use a laptop for something quick.

PS: One funny note. My roommate absolutely hates Apple. Despises them. He doesn't know why, but he knows that he does. He would never buy Apple anything. He owns an Evo. The first week after I bought my iPad he wouldn't even use it - then his laptop HDD died, so he had no choice. He was really, really bummed when I sold it. Even after his laptop was fixed, he used it daily. He couldn't believe how awesome the App Store was and loved the simplicity.

Last edited:

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I had a netbook for a while. Absolutely hated it. I hated it for the same reasons I hate using my laptop when I'm at home.

Scenario: Need to google something really fast.
1. Decide I need to Google something.
2. Go get netbook from my room since it looks tacky in living room.
3. Sit down on couch with it.
4. Shit, my battery is fucking dead. Plug in charger into wall. Plug charger into netbook. Now I have a fucking cable going across the couch and I'm facing half sideways so it will reach.
5. Ok, it has enough battery. Turn on netbook.
6. Wait for boot. This is annoying. This is annoying every time. Yes, it boots fast, only a couple minutes, but still super frustrating.
7. Ok, I'm now in WinXP. Log in. Wait another 2 minutes for services and programs to fire up.
8. Open Chrome.
9. Google something.

The same situation on my iPad.
1. Grab iPad off coffee table, where I keep it, because it actually looks cool.
2. Hit home. Oh, look, 90% battery because it NEVER dies.
3. Hit safari.
4. Google

Ok so you don't like the netbook cus you had to charge it cus you let the battery die? Any product that has a battery is like that. Also no computer should take a couple minutes to boot, no computer, especially booting into XP.

Narmer

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2006
You're exactly proving his point. There are 100 casual guys, girls, kids, mom, and dads for every 'gamer' like you.

That's why Wii was a runaway success. It targeted the mainstream. Neither Nintendo or mainstream people give a shit about what your 360 can do and your win ratio.

Apple is on the same vein why they're claming to be successful on their 'casual gaming'

Unless you make the hardware (one time profit) there isn't much money in casual gaming. Look at the attachment rate for Wii owners compared to XBOX owners...

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
Ok so you don't like the netbook cus you had to charge it cus you let the battery die? Any product that has a battery is like that. Also no computer should take a couple minutes to boot, no computer, especially booting into XP.

I'm just trying to highlight the fact that when you're trying to complete a simple task, an iPad, or any tablet probably, is so much more convenient. Much more so than a netbook or small laptop.

Narmer

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2006
I'm just trying to highlight the fact that when you're trying to complete a simple task, an iPad, or any tablet probably, is so much more convenient. Much more so than a netbook or small laptop.

Or you could just use your smartphone...

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Or you could just use the fucking computer you're sitting in front of 90% of the time you NERDS. :p

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004

To buy a $500 device just for that doesn't make sense when you already had something that does MORE than what you spent another $500 on. Of course it's more convenient but it will NOT replace it.

Narmer

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2006
To buy a $500 device just for that doesn't make sense when you already had something that does MORE than what you spent another $500 on. Of course it's more convenient but it will NOT replace it.

Yeah, I'm sure Microsoft included a sleep option for Windows...