Apple claims 50 percent of portable gaming market

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 27, 2007
I'd like to see some figures that take into account revenue, as well as volume sold. Most iPhone/iPod games are either very cheap or free, and Apple only takes a relatively small slice (30% if I remember correctly?) of the sale price. How much do the console manufacturers take, anyone know?

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I am a Wii owner who exists outside of your parameters (also a 360 owner who exists outside of mine). The Wii is a success because it targets casual gamers. iOS gaming is a success for the same reasons, and others...

1) Casual, accessible games.
2) No controller to intimidate non-gamers.
3) Cheap.
4) Quick to pick up and play, quick to put away.

So is a deck of cards and every man women and child at least owns one set. Next thing you know, everyone will be claiming that the iOS won this generation on the console wars. Apple can make any claim they want, but this is no different than Sony claiming they are the sales leader in Blu-ray players. How many people would even buy a iPod Touch if it was only capable of playing games? I doubt anywhere close to what Nintendo has sold just in the last month.

theflyingpig

Banned
Mar 9, 2008
Selling like hotcakes doesn't mean it's good, either. Apple sold something like 600,000 iPads the first day they came out...

lol. Are you suggesting that the iPad isn't good? You are a fool if you are. The iPad has successfully introduced tablet computing to the masses. Like all Apple products, the iPad's simplicity and beautiful design make it accessible to people who don't want to burden themselves with silly and overly complicated linux based garbage. These are people who actually spend money and buy products, not pirate them or babble endlessly about open source crapware. That is why the iPad is a success, and that is why you are a fool. Everyone knows this.

theflyingpig

Banned
Mar 9, 2008
How many people would even buy a iPod Touch if it was only capable of playing games? I doubt anywhere close to what Nintendo has sold just in the last month.

But it doesn't just play games. Get over it, and face the facts. The days of the dedicated portable game system are coming to an end. The days of iOS gaming are just beginning. Everyone knows this.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
The iPad is nothing more than an expensive, unnecessary fad that 1) relatively isn't used much and 2) will completely die after the newness wears off.

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999
The iPad is nothing more than an expensive, unnecessary fad that 1) relatively isn't used much and 2) will completely die after the newness wears off.

Wow, you are full of gems tonight. It's been selling out for the past six months with no end in site. Sales blow away what people were estimating. The best part is it sparked a whole market of clones that are taking FOREVER to get their act together enough to even try and launch a tablet, much less compete with the iPad.

Keep 'em coming. You're a laugh riot!

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
But it doesn't just play games. Get over it, and face the facts. The days of the dedicated portable game system are coming to an end. The days of iOS gaming are just beginning. Everyone knows this.

Most companies have already sold all their computer equipment and have moved to cloud computing on the iOS platform. Everyone knows this.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
I don't guage success on the amount of money a company makes off of the product.

I just read on another forum that a church bought iPads for all of their IT folks. Great use of tithe, wouldn't you say?

What does the iPad actually DO for the industries it's being employed in? Short of novelty, nothing.

I can't WAIT for Apple to go under. The fact that these FailBoats have been selling out for six months just goes to show you how many fucking sheep follow Apple and will buy absolutely anything Apple puts out and at any price (holy fuck have you seen how much those pieces of shit sell for?).

theflyingpig

Banned
Mar 9, 2008
I don't guage success on the amount of money a company makes off of the product.

I just read on another forum that a church bought iPads for all of their IT folks. Great use of tithe, wouldn't you say?

What does the iPad actually DO for the industries it's being employed in? Short of novelty, nothing.

I can't WAIT for Apple to go under. The fact that these FailBoats have been selling out for six months just goes to show you how many fucking sheep follow Apple and will buy absolutely anything Apple puts out and at any price (holy fuck have you seen how much those pieces of shit sell for?).

lolHAHAHAAHAHAHHAAH!!!! You are completely out of touch with what consumers want. I hope you don't work in sales or marketing.

theflyingpig

Banned
Mar 9, 2008
I work in R&D at Intel.

Really? Would you be willing to post a pic of you sitting in the reception area with a sign saying: "Yes, theflyingpig, I work R&D at Intel"? Would you do that for me, Nik?

Edit: Oh, and please have a printout of my avatar on your sign.

Edit: Actually, make it look like my avatar is saying "Yes, theflyingpig, I really work R&D at Intel".

Last edited:

Narmer

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2006
I am a Wii owner who exists outside of your parameters (also a 360 owner who exists outside of mine). The Wii is a success because it targets casual gamers. iOS gaming is a success for the same reasons, and others...

1) Casual, accessible games.
2) No controller to intimidate non-gamers.
3) Cheap.
4) Quick to pick up and play, quick to put away.

b is wrong and an excuse for something the iPhone/Touch do not have.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Really? Would you be willing to post a pic of you sitting in the reception area with a sign saying: "Yes, theflyingpig, I work R&D at Intel"? Would you do that for me, Nik?

Edit: Oh, and please have a printout of my avatar on your sign.

Edit: Actually, make it look like my avatar is saying "Yes, theflyingpig, I really work R&D at Intel".

I would seeing as it's a little slow today, but nothing that has the capability to take pictures is allowed past security.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Yep. It's nothing more than OOH, LOOK SOMETHING NEW!

Some day, some guy is going to go "hey wait a minute... I can type faster and generally function faster on my PC than this hunk of shit. Why am I using it?" Some guy next to him is going to watch him come to that conclusion, and just like the sheep the rest of them are, they'll follow suit until the iPad is nothing more than a memory.

By that time, Apple will have come out with 300 versions of it, each being a tiny fraction different than the model before it but heralded as the next coming of Christ.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
#1 and 50% are figures Apple will never reach in terms of selling computers.

They don't need to, have you seen how much $$$ they're worth? I think any company not named Microsoft would give their left testicle to be worth what Apple is.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
They don't need to, have you seen how much $$$ they're worth? I think any company not named Microsoft would give their left testicle to be worth what Apple is.

Most would but not every company would want to act like Apple acts. Some companies actually do care about their customers and what their customers say instead of saying they are wrong.

Mar 11, 2004
Yep. It's nothing more than OOH, LOOK SOMETHING NEW!

Some day, some guy is going to go "hey wait a minute... I can type faster and generally function faster on my PC than this hunk of shit. Why am I using it?" Some guy next to him is going to watch him come to that conclusion, and just like the sheep the rest of them are, they'll follow suit until the iPad is nothing more than a memory.

By that time, Apple will have come out with 300 versions of it, each being a tiny fraction different than the model before it but heralded as the next coming of Christ.

I don't see that, as the iPad isn't about creating content. At best maybe 25% of my time on a computer is spent typing or creating anything, its mostly spent consuming content. Besides, if you really needed a keyboard, you can set one up for tablet without much issue.

As for it being a fad, people said the same thing about netbooks, I think they said the same thing about laptops, and they probably said the same thing about computers in general. Tablets have and will be around for years, and they'll only get better and more usable as technology advances.

Actually, you work at Intel R&D and you're this close minded?