Apple Cinima Display

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
I have heard about this thing for a whild and finally saw one the other day and holy crap it is amazing and i want one only problim other then the 2500$ price tag is that they dont work withs PCs as far as i know. was woundering if there was anyway that someone could hook one up to a PC with an adapter because its the best lopoking flat pannel ive ever seen

EdipisReks

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2000
both planar and sgi make better looking ones that also happen to be pc compatible and cheaper.

--jacob

Daovonnaex

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2001

<< both planar and sgi make better looking ones that also happen to be pc compatible and cheaper. --jacob >>

What? SGI, cheaper than something? Holy Shit!

imgod2u

Sep 16, 2000
Apple Cinema Display is a great display, but I don't think it even has DVI (only Apple's proprietary analog signal). SGI makes a great display (with very fast pixel response time), not to mention Solarism with its very great contrast/brightness and pixel response time. When it comes to LCD's that's what really matters, and Apple's Cinema Display just doesn't cut it when compared to those.

CSoup

Jan 9, 2002

<< Apple Cinema Display is a great display, but I don't think it even has DVI (only Apple's proprietary analog signal). SGI makes a great display (with very fast pixel response time), not to mention Solarism with its very great contrast/brightness and pixel response time. When it comes to LCD's that's what really matters, and Apple's Cinema Display just doesn't cut it when compared to those. >>

Actually, the Apple Cinema Display is all digital. It comes with the ADC (Apple Display Connector) which has DVI, USB, and Power all in once cable. A few companies make an adaptor that will split the ADC into separtant DVI and USB cables and also provide the 22V DC that the display needs.

Not sure about newer SGI monitors, but the older 17 incher required an adaptor to work with PC video cards unless you use some included Savage4 based video card that had SGI's special connector.

CSoup

Jan 9, 2002

<< both planar and sgi make better looking ones that also happen to be pc compatible and cheaper.

--jacob
>>

They are cheaper because they are not 22-inches. The largest consumer Planar is 19 inches and the largest SGI one is 18 inches.

18 inch SGI about 1500
19 inch Planar about 2000
22 inch Apple about 2500

So the Cinema Display is not priced that badly.

Scrith

Sep 28, 2001
The 20" LCD monitor I got from Dell last week is higher resolution (1600x1200 vs. 1600x1024 for the Apple Cinema Display), can connect to a PC out-of-the-box (unlike the Apple) because it has DVI, VGA and S-Video inputs, and has a faster pixel refresh rate (and does a better job of scaling from lower resolutions...both important for gaming) in my opinion.

Oh, and it was *HALF* the price (thanks to the 20% off special they were running, the $25 coupon, free shipping, and no sales tax), coming in at a grand total of around $1330. Thanks Hot Deals!

Sugadaddy

Banned
May 12, 2000

<< The 20" LCD monitor I got from Dell last week is higher resolution (1600x1200 vs. 1600x1024 for the Apple Cinema Display), can connect to a PC out-of-the-box (unlike the Apple) because it has DVI, VGA and S-Video inputs, and has a faster pixel refresh rate (and does a better job of scaling from lower resolutions...both important for gaming) in my opinion.

Oh, and it was *HALF* the price (thanks to the 20% off special they were running, the $25 coupon, free shipping, and no sales tax), coming in at a grand total of around $1330. Thanks Hot Deals!
>>

Maybe I'm retarded, but how is 1600x1200 a higher res. than 1600x1024?

thirdlegstump

Banned
Feb 12, 2001
>Maybe I'm retarded, but how is 1600x1200 a higher res. than 1600x1024?<

Has a 176 more pixels high. That means it has a bit higher resolution.

Sugadaddy

Banned
May 12, 2000

<< maybe u are retarded????
:)
>>

Holy crap, not maybe, I am definitely retarded. :D I was somehow reading 1224, which makes no sense...

Nefrodite

Banned
Feb 15, 2001
Has a 176 more pixels high. That means it has a bit higher resolution.

yes but how much more screen area do you get with the apple display? 2 inch diagonal increase does boost screen area nicely:)

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
i know SGI and other companies make bit flat screnes. but not as big as the apple and yes its DVI i just think i looks really nice