Apple A12 & A12X *** Now A12Z as well *** Now in a Mac mini

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

asendra

Nov 4, 2012
So that makes it ~5250 SC / ~17500 MC @GB4 then?

What a beast. Here's hoping it gets 6gb of ram, but doubt it.

But too fucking expensive. As an Air 2 owner I wanted to upgrade but they jumped the shark.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000

We shall see, but they said "up to 90% faster" so we don't know what that means for Geekbench 4. If 90% faster for GB4 then yeah, it could hit as high as 18000 multi-core.

Availability is next week, so we will know soon enough.

FWIW, iPad Pro with A10X hits about 9600 multi-core, and iPhone XR with A12 hits well over 11000.

But too fucking expensive. As an Air 2 owner I wanted to upgrade but they jumped the shark.
I'm keeping my two Air 2 units. One I bought 4 years ago, and one 3 years ago. Work fine for my needs. Watched the live stream on it in fact. 2.4 GB of cellular data per hour. Ouch!

Last edited:

asendra

Nov 4, 2012
I'm keeping my two Air 2 units. One I bought 4 years ago, and one 3 years ago. Work fine for my needs. Watched the live stream on it in fact. 2.4 GB of cellular data per hour. Ouch!

Yeah, same.

When the Pros were released, the 700$ price point made sense because of the 450$? Air 2. But now that we don't have the iPad Airs, and the base iPads are so much cheaper, there was plenty of room to make the new smaller Pro 599$. they went the other way completely.

Even the keyboard and pencil, almost mandatory accessories for them, are more expensive this year!!

The new mac mini and Air upgrades are also super nice, but equally super expensive, at least in Europe.

/rant

Back to the A12X discussion.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
This might make the iPad Pro twice as fast as their new Core i5 1.6/3.6 GHz MacBook Air :eek: although to be honest I'm not sure what that would score in Geekbench 4 either.

asendra

Nov 4, 2012
Lol, reportedly all the models still have 4gb of ram.... except the ones with 1Tb of storage that have 6gb.
Guess margins must be razor thin on those iPad Pros, jeeeez.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2018...n-design-is-most-advanced-powerful-ipad-ever/

Apple today introduced the new iPad Pro with all-screen design and next-generation performance, marking the biggest change to iPad ever. The all-new design pushes 11-inch and 12.9-inch Liquid Retina displays to the edges of iPad Pro and integrates Face ID to securely unlock iPad with just a glance.1 The A12X Bionic chip with next-generation Neural Engine in iPad Pro outperforms most PC laptops and offers a new USB-C connector, Gigabit-class LTE, and up to 1TB of storage to enable powerful new mobile workflows.2

A12X Bionic and Next-Generation Neural Engine
Built specifically for iPad Pro, the A12X Bionic is the smartest and most powerful chip in a tablet, making even the most demanding computing tasks like editing photos or creating 3D models faster and more responsive. Built on industry-leading seven-nanometer technology, the powerful eight-core A12X Bionic features four performance cores and four efficiency cores for up to 35 percent faster single-core performance and a new performance controller for simultaneous use of all eight cores for an up to 90 percent boost during multi-threaded tasks.3 A seven-core, Apple-designed GPU delivers up to twice the graphics performance for incredibly rich and immersive AR experiences and console-quality graphics. On iPad Pro, the breakthrough performance and capability lasts all day thanks to great 10-hour battery life.4

Apple’s next-generation Neural Engine is built for advanced machine learning in everything from photography to AR, completing up to 5 trillion operations per second. This enables fast Face ID, faster plane detection for AR apps and other new features that use real-time machine learning. The Neural Engine is designed to deliver improved performance for Core ML tasks, empowering developers to build apps and new iPad workflows that utilize this highly efficient machine learning engine.

1. 1 The displays have rounded corners. When measured as a rectangle, the iPad Pro 12.9-inch screen is 12.9 inches diagonally and the iPad Pro 11-inch screen is 11 inches diagonally. Actual viewable area is less.
    2 iPad Pro is faster than 92 percent of all portable PCs sold between June 2017-June 2018. (NPD US data)
    3 As compared to the previous iPad Pro model.
    4 Battery life depends on device settings, usage and other factors. Actual results may vary.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000

Somehow 17500 multi-core for Geekbench 4 seems far too optimistic, unless Apple has increased the power usage significantly. Even if it hits “just” 15500, that would be remarkable.

That’s as fast as the current quad-core i5-7500 27” iMac.

Only 4 GB for most of the SKUs seems ridiculous though. It’s 6 GB only if you pay for 1 TB storage. :confused:

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Just increasing the iPad Pro's score by 35% and comparing that result to the Xs.
What I'm saying is there is no guarantee that Geekbench single-core score will increase by 35%. If it did that would be impressive, but so far we don't know that because we have no such benchmark results.

Apple just said single core scores increased "up to" 35% and multi core score increased "up to" 90%, but made no mention of Geekbench.

Nothingness

Platinum Member
Jul 3, 2013
What I'm saying is there is no guarantee that Geekbench single-core score will increase by 35%. If it did that would be impressive, but so far we don't know that because we have no such benchmark results.

Apple just said single core scores increased "up to" 35% and multi core score increased "up to" 90%, but made no mention of Geekbench.
Geekbench score increased by 38% from A10 to A12, so 35% for A12X vs A10X definitely looks plausible.

thunng8

Jan 8, 2013
Having compared that result with the A12 iPhone, the frequency of the big core is still the same at 2.5ghz.

The reason for the higher single core score is the memory. Memory bandwidth is basically doubled in the A12X.

This all makes sense since although the iPad is bigger, it is still fan less and is super thin at only 5.9mm - thinner than the iphone.

name99

Sep 11, 2010
Having compared that result with the A12 iPhone, the frequency of the big core is still the same at 2.5ghz.

The reason for the higher single core score is the memory. Memory bandwidth is basically doubled in the A12X.

This all makes sense since although the iPad is bigger, it is still fan less and is super thin at only 5.9mm - thinner than the iphone.
Compare
https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/compare/10571403?baseline=10568063

Like I said, comparable to a 4-core iMac. Intel wins big where AVX can kick in (mainly SGEMM and FFT), otherwise it’s a toss up. Note especially the difference in memory bandwidth (I assume bcs of Intel’s incredibly lame roll-out of DDR4 support).

My guess is by the time Apple releases the ARM Macs (next year?) they’ll have SVE support, matching the one last Intel advantage in AVX.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
If real, this is a beast.

It’s faster than my quad i5-7600 2017 27” iMac.

That ARM Mac may be coming relatively soon.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
And another:

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/10567048

5030/17995

We shall see, but they said "up to 90% faster" so we don't know what that means for Geekbench 4. If 90% faster for GB4 then yeah, it could hit as high as 18000 multi-core.

Availability is next week, so we will know soon enough.

FWIW, iPad Pro with A10X hits about 9600 multi-core, and iPhone XR with A12 hits well over 11000.

Nothingness

Platinum Member
Jul 3, 2013
Like I said, comparable to a 4-core iMac. Intel wins big where AVX can kick in (mainly SGEMM and FFT), otherwise it’s a toss up. Note especially the difference in memory bandwidth (I assume bcs of Intel’s incredibly lame roll-out of DDR4 support).

My guess is by the time Apple releases the ARM Macs (next year?) they’ll have SVE support, matching the one last Intel advantage in AVX.
SVE won't make a CPU execute more FP operations. Ignoring the fact SVE enables more vectorization, it's a win because you reduce decode/dispatch bandwidth requirements when your vector length is 256-bit or more. If Apple doesn't add more FP units or doesn't make them wider then SVE won't show a gain on code already vectorized.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
If A12X can be used as a laptop chip, could 2 x A12X make sense for a desktop? Or at least an 8 performance core version?

BTW, die size of A12 (non-X) is 83.27 mm2.

Thala

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2014
SVE won't make a CPU execute more FP operations. Ignoring the fact SVE enables more vectorization, it's a win because you reduce decode/dispatch bandwidth requirements when your vector length is 256-bit or more. If Apple doesn't add more FP units or doesn't make them wider then SVE won't show a gain on code already vectorized.

Of course, they would not just add a SVE decoders using existing FP units. If you want single cycle throughput you need to match the vector length. I wonder if they will go 256 or 512 bits wide SVE?