Appears there's no COVID vaccine stockpile like promised

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000

This seems like it could be a huge problem.

Hopes of a surge in Covid-19 vaccine shipments under a new policy to release second doses held in reserve appear to be evaporating — with the revelation that those doses have already been distributed.

A senior Trump administration official told CNN Friday that when the administration announced that it would be releasing reserved doses last week, many of those reserves had already been released into the system starting last year as production was ramping up.

The revelation seems to contradict what US Health and Human Services secretary announced on Jan. 12 at an Operation Warp Speed briefing, where he said the administration would be “releasing the entire supply for order by states, rather than holding second doses in reserve.”

The official who spoke with CNN pushed back on a report that the second-dose supply was "exhausted," instead characterizing the reserve as a rolling and replenished supply with new production.

The source emphasized that the supply would still benefit from those extra doses already in circulation — but acknowledged that this means there will not be a sudden surge in distribution numbers, as many had been led to believe.

Michael J. Pratt, the chief communications officer for Operation Warp Speed, also denied the notion the reserve was “exhausted” in a statement to CNN.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Yup, more incompetency and lies from the Trump admin on COVID.

Notice Azars called not holding the second doses unethical when Biden suggested it, meanwhile they had actually been doing that for at least a week.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Round up the usual suspects. (from same movie as "I'm shocked there's gambling in this establishment).

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2012
I thought you guys were complaining because they had too much stockpile in places like NY where it wasn't being effectively administered when they ran out of docs/nurses to give them to? Which is it?

You realize the majority of this is up to the states right? The states that have done the worst are the ones where they are trying to admin ster them like they are absolute rulers/dictators that can determine some huge order of operations of who should get them first on vaccines that have fucking huge cooling requirements and expiration dates.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
don't worry, everything will be magically all better and high praise will befall the new leader soon.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I thought you guys were complaining because they had too much stockpile in places like NY where it wasn't being effectively administered when they ran out of docs/nurses to give them to? Which is it?

You realize the majority of this is up to the states right? The states that have done the worst are the ones where they are trying to admin ster them like they are absolute rulers/dictators that can determine some huge order of operations of who should get them first on vaccines that have fucking huge cooling requirements and expiration dates.

There are two distinct issues here:

1) Some states are too slow in distributing doses they are receiving into humans.

2) The Feds lied about the vaccine stockpile or are almost totally incompetent regarding what they actually have/where it is, maybe both.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Pfizer says they have all 2nd doses on hand and only recently were asked to ship out

Going to be very happy to have this admin gone in days so maybe real adults can figure things out and tell us what's happening.

I don't even get why there's a possibility of NOT shipping this shit out. If the vaccine requires 2 doses, how is there a question on whether or not the US Gov't should order the 2nd doses or not? How is there just not a standing order of "ship us everything you got!'?!?

Reactions: jman19

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
UVRKCWE.jpg

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
We need a commission, like the 9/11 one but without the political whitewashing. Trump and most of his enablers truly belong in prison.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I don't even get why there's a possibility of NOT shipping this shit out. If the vaccine requires 2 doses, how is there a question on whether or not the US Gov't should order the 2nd doses or not? How is there just not a standing order of "ship us everything you got!'?!?

Originally the idea was to hold 2nd doses in reserve in case there was a manufacturing snafu. Everything on that end appears to be running fine which is what I expect prompted Biden's people (who are talking to Pfizer and Moderna) to want to release them and rely on the supply chain to move 2nd doses off the lines. First Azar said that was irresponsible, then he ordered it done, then they told the states there was no 2nd dose stockpile, and now Pfizer says they are sitting on all the 2nd doses and HHS only recently ordered them shipped. So in short a big confusing fucking mess as usual.

Reactions: Pohemi and Zorba

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Hopefully with better leadership things will improve.

I'm for doing everything needed to help the US then immediately help the rest of the world, especially our closest neighbors in the Latin American and Caribbean.

That said, I can't believe getting syringes is really a major hold up here. The US uses billions of syringes a year.