Apparently the Memphis Belle flew right over my house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 25, 2011
Looks like they did a couple loops around DC and Andrews AFB on their way out. Would have been quite the sight.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Saw a DC-3 when I was up at my buddy's cottage last week. Never seen one in the wild before. Was flying pretty low too. No idea where it was heading as there were no airfields near by large enough for it.

I've occasionally seen the Lancaster "Vera" fly over here. Love the sound of those four Merlin engines. They don't fly it too often because the operating costs are so high. The Warplane Heritage Museum has a B-25 as well that they fly more often.

Mutilator

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2000
A couple years ago I had them land behind me when I was still pretty early in my flight training... you don't expect to land, taxi back, and park the plane just in time to see a B-17 landing right after you. Pretty damn cool though... kinda threw me that they only had 2 engines running as they landed. Would have been cool to go up in it but I think they wanted something like $450 for a ride... I needed that money to put flight hours into my own logbook. :p

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
I've occasionally seen the Lancaster "Vera" fly over here. Love the sound of those four Merlin engines. They don't fly it too often because the operating costs are so high. The Warplane Heritage Museum has a B-25 as well that they fly more often.

B-25 is certainly less impressive but can be flown in relatively cheaply, and it's a blast being in the nose.

Status
Not open for further replies.