Apparently, on average, the more red your state is, the more fat you probably are

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
/insert peals of hilarious laughter

Anyway, I'm trying to find a state-by-state ranking of sales of Bud Light, but have not been successful so far.

Feb 4, 2009
/insert peals of hilarious laughter

Anyway, I'm trying to find a state-by-state ranking of sales of Bud Light, but have not been successful so far.

Per completely unscientific googling, appears the South prefers regular Bud which may mean something.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I think a better correlation to obesity is how shitty vs. good your barbecue is. Sorry blue states, but your barbecue sucks. I say this as someone who’s migrated south to redder states and gained 30 lbs over 20+ years off that sweet suckling hog and cornbread.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I think a better correlation to obesity is how shitty vs. good your barbecue is. Sorry blue states, but your barbecue sucks. I say this as someone who’s migrated south to redder states and gained 30 lbs over 20+ years off that sweet suckling hog and cornbread.

It's true that diet can make a huge difference.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
If I remember correctly it’s related to both income and education, broadly being the more educated/rich you are the less fat you tend to be.

I'm sure that's part of it, but it seems too simple of an explanation.

There are certainly cultural and diet elements. Look at Trump. He's supposedly rich off of OPM, but is he's a cultural champion and defender of fast food and poor diet habits. Yet vegetarianism, healthy food and lifestyle are generally "liberal" causes.
Keto and hypermasculine weight training may be the exception, but it's not really a strongly followed lifestyle....

Additionally, why are conservatives so anti-environment?
Yet you see when you see CO, lowest in the fat rankings, love of nature and outdoor active lifestyles are a key part of the culture.
This last point I always found odd considering the number of hunters and fishermen that are conservative, but then hand waive away concerns about the natural environment.

Very generally, conservativism embraces self-destructive lifestyles, and it shows in the data. (Masks only the latest front)

Last edited: