Apparently I need a new PSU, any suggestions?

jimbob200521

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2005
So I wake up this morning, groggy eyed and tired dreading the day of work ahead and I stumble to my main PC. I power on the monitors and they turn on but show no display. So I look at my PC and it's off. Figuring a brownout overnight I soon realize my server is still on and both PC's hooked to a UPS. Hmm, odd. So I check connections, cycle power, etc; nothing.

So, more awake now at the alarm of my Main Rig (see sig) not turning on, I grab another power supply just to test since the board is showing no LED's lit indication power. I plug the other PSU in and violla; happy lights on the board. Switch back to the old PSU and nothing.

So, I guess it's time to get a new PSU. I don't quite need the overkill of the 1000 watt PSU that was in the PC this time, however. Just something that will happily run an OC'd i7 4820k, 32gb of RAM, 2 SSD's, and an R9 280x. I don't plan on adding a second video card or upgrading to anything really power hungry in the future I won't need a ton of power to spare. I would like it to be black and be at the very least semi-modular. Any suggestions?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
SeaSonic "Prime" PSU? 80Plus Titanium, Modular, basically their top-of-the-line.

Or maybe an EVGA G2/G3 series?

I'm not super-well-versed in higher-end PSUs. I main deal with budget stuff. To me, $40 for a ThermalTake TR2-430 is baller status for that build.

Reactions: UsandThem

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
You would be fine with a good quality 550w (or 650w if you want to keep around 50% max load) unit from Seasonic, EVGA, or Corsair.

Some of my personal recommendations: EVGA G2 or G3 series, Seasonic G series (like the SSR-650RM), and the Corsair RMx series.

Out of those, I would just go with the one I found on sale (as the prices fluctuate significantly on PSUs). There are other good units out there from other companies like FSP, Thermaltake, and Antec, but I think the first three companies I listed are the leaders in the PSU segment.

jimbob200521

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2005
SeaSonic "Prime" PSU? 80Plus Titanium, Modular, basically their top-of-the-line.

Or maybe an EVGA G2/G3 series?

I'm not super-well-versed in higher-end PSUs. I main deal with budget stuff. To me, $40 for a ThermalTake TR2-430 is baller status for that build.

I would kinda like a little more than 430 watts...and it's not modular.

I know I don't need 1000+ watts but I'm kinda eyeing units in the 600 or so watt range, I'd rather have too much than not enough. Plus, while 430 watts may do it, when I play a game or stress the system I'd rather not stress the PSU, as well. I have my eye on a nice Corsair RM750x because it's on sale for $30 off right now putting it at $99.99 with free shipping. A little more than I'd like to spend but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I know in the future once prices come down a bit I want to put a 6 core CPU in the system. Plus I tried a couple power calculators and they put my max system load (with OC, liquid cooling, etc) at between 450 and 500 watts so I'd like a little buffer beyond that, even though I don't ever really stress every component to the max...

jimbob200521

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2005
You would be fine with a good quality 550w (or 650w if you want to keep around 50% max load) unit from Seasonic, EVGA, or Corsair.

Some of my personal recommendations: EVGA G2 or G3 series, Seasonic G series (like the SSR-650RM), and the Corsair RMx series.

Out of those, I would just go with the one I found on sale (as the prices fluctuate significantly on PSUs). There are other good units out there from other companies like FSP, Thermaltake, and Antec, but I think the first three companies I listed are the leaders in the PSU segment.

I like the RMx series from Corsair (I'd like an RMi for the monitoring software but not at the prices they are). Right now, the RM550x is on sale at $89.99 with another $20 MIR dropping the end price to $69.99. However, I hate messing with MIR's and would feel better with a little more than 550 watts, even though I'm pretty sure I'm being paranoid or whatever. Then the next least expensive model in the RMx line right now is the 750 watt because, again, it's on sale.

On a side note, I tried registering with Cougar support to get a ticket started on my PSU because it has a 5 year warranty but no matter what I've tried, I can't get a validation email from there so I can't create a ticket...grr.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
However, I hate messing with MIR's and would feel better with a little more than 550 watts, even though I'm pretty sure I'm being paranoid or whatever. Then the next least expensive model in the RMx line right now is the 750 watt because, again, it's on sale.

On a side note, I tried registering with Cougar support to get a ticket started on my PSU because it has a 5 year warranty but no matter what I've tried, I can't get a validation email from there so I can't create a ticket...grr.

Going with a larger unit won't hurt anything, you'll just lose a little effeciency running at a small load percentage. Your CPU TDP is 130w and the most power hungry R9 280x I found pulled 290w system load (54w at idle).

http://www.techspot.com/amp/review/841-radeon-r9-280x-roundup/page11.html

So running a demanding synthetic benchmark, the most it would pull is 420w (plus probably another 40w for the rest of your components). Each power supply performs differently at different loads, so whichever unit you decide on, you can read the review at JonnyGuru where he shows the effeciency % at the various load levels. I bought a 650w unit for my system (because it was cheaper at the time than the 550w version), and while gaming I typically pull about 210w total (and around 56w -63w at desktop including LED monitor).

As far as the customer service of Cougar, I really haven't heard much, good or bad, about them.

Last edited:

jimbob200521

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2005
Going with a larger unit won't hurt anything, you'll just lose a little effeciency running at a small load percentage. Your CPU TDP is 130w and the most power hungry R9 280x I found pulled 290w (54w at idle).

http://www.techspot.com/amp/review/841-radeon-r9-280x-roundup/page11.html

So running a demanding synthetic benchmark, the most it would pull is 420w (plus probably another 40w for the rest of your components). Each power supply performs differently at different loads, so whichever unit you decide on, you can read the review at JonnyGuru where he shows the effeciency % at the various load levels. I bought a 650w unit for my system (because it was cheaper at the time than the 550w version), and while gaming I typically pull about 210w total (and around 56w -63w at desktop including LED monitor).

As far as the customer service of Cougar, I really haven't heard much, good or bad, about them.

One thing I'm trying to keep an eye out for with PSU's I'm looking at is motherboard power connectors. In the pic of my board below, it's got the standard 20+4 PSU connector but then at the top it's got the standard 8 pin PSU connector (labled EATX12V_2 in the pic) but it's also got another 4 pin (labeled EATX12V_1) that either I'm overlooking or isn't there on any PSU's I'm looking at. The manual says the system won't power on without it so I'm kinda at a loss on that one...any thoughts? Because to me it looks like I need an 8(4+4)+4 CPU power cables which the Cougar unit I have now has but I'm not seeing on any other PSU's that I've looked at. Stupid EATX 2011 board haha

Motherboard.jpg

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
One thing I'm trying to keep an eye out for with PSU's I'm looking at is motherboard power connectors. In the pic of my board below, it's got the standard 20+4 PSU connector but then at the top it's got the standard 8 pin PSU connector (labled EATX12V_2 in the pic) but it's also got another 4 pin (labeled EATX12V_1) that either I'm overlooking or isn't there on any PSU's I'm looking at. The manual says the system won't power on without it so I'm kinda at a loss on that one...any thoughts?

Motherboard.jpg

That extra 4-pin is to help with stability when overclocking heavily. It's not a common feature on smaller watt PSUs. To utilize that, you will be going with a large watt PSU.

jimbob200521

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2005
That extra 4-pin is to help with stability when overclocking heavily. It's not a common feature on smaller watt PSUs. To utilize that, you will be going with a large watt PSU.

That's what I had assumed as well but the only other PSU I have in the house that has the 20+4 and 4+4 is in my server and that can't go down for testing at the moment. I have other PSU's around that have a 20+4 and 4 pin but I don't know if I want to try that. The other thing that kinda makes me want to get a PSU with that extra connector is the manual (whether it's lying or not) says the system won't power on without that connector getting power.

I guess I could always cut the connector off the PSU I have now and make a cable for it if it comes down to it...

Motherboard_PSU.jpg

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
That's what I had assumed as well but the only other PSU I have in the house that has the 20+4 and 4+4 is in my server and that can't go down for testing at the moment. I have other PSU's around that have a 20+4 and 4 pin but I don't know if I want to try that. The other thing that kinda makes me want to get a PSU with that extra connector is the manual (whether it's lying or not) says the system won't power on without that connector getting power

It always says that in the manual when that extra connector is there. It is actually a common question over many years across many different computer forums:

https://www.google.com/#q=motherboard+has+8+pin+and+4+pin

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?70803-8-Pin-amp-4-Pin-CPU-Power

The 8 pin power connector should be populated at all times. The extra 4 pin connector is optional but highly recommended to be populated if your PSU has the extra cable and if you're planning to overclock your processor.

Usually it is only needed on heavy overclocking.

So I guess you have two options:

1. Try a lower wattage PSU that doesn't have that extra 4-pin CPU connector and see if it works for you.
2. Buy a larger watt unit that has the extra 4-pin CPU connector.

jimbob200521

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2005
It always says that in the manual when that extra connector is there. It is actually a common question over many years across many different computer forums:

https://www.google.com/#q=motherboard+has+8+pin+and+4+pin

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?70803-8-Pin-amp-4-Pin-CPU-Power

Usually it is only needed on heavy overclocking.

So I guess you have two options:

1. Try a lower wattage PSU that doesn't have that extra 4-pin CPU connector and see if it works for you.
2. Buy a larger watt unit that has the extra 4-pin CPU connector.

I remember that in the past, not always "needing" the extra connector. On one hand, I do have my CPU overclocked to 4.2ghz but I that's with the multiplier and I don't believe any extra voltage. On the other hand, I have sitting in my kitchen right now a C2Q machine with the 20+4 connector and the motherboard has a 4+4 connector for the CPU power but the PSU in it only has a 4 pin so that's what I'm using and it's working fine. Then on the OTHER hand (how many hands do I have now?) the PSU that is more or less on the top of my list has one included 4+4 connector but the next model up is only $10 more and comes with the extra cable I'd "need".

It pretty much comes down to this is a horrible time for my PSU to die. Just got done with Christmas (and our present was a new 4 figure bed to replace our embarrassingly old previous bed), fuel pump went out on my truck ($300 for that but luckily I was able to replace it myself saving hundreds in labor), wife's birthday is next week (and I have no idea what to get her but that's a whole different subject), and I just bought some new hardware for my server not expecting the PSU on my main rig to die 2 days later. Timing just sucks so maybe I should put THAT part of it out of my head and suck it up.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
It pretty much comes down to this is a horrible time for my PSU to die. Just got done with Christmas (and our present was a new 4 figure bed to replace our embarrassingly old previous bed), fuel pump went out on my truck ($300 for that but luckily I was able to replace it myself saving hundreds in labor), wife's birthday is next week (and I have no idea what to get her but that's a whole different subject), and I just bought some new hardware for my server not expecting the PSU on my main rig to die 2 days later. Timing just sucks so maybe I should put THAT part of it out of my head and suck it up.

Hey, it's all about perspective.

For example my last three months:

-$5000 to replace water main after AT&T sub-contractor damaged it laying fiber optic line, and wouldn't pay if for 90+ days.
-Slide-in stove died. $1000
-Probate court/attorney fee for family members estate: $6000
-Son cut foot in yard. $800 out of pocket after insurance portion.

It can always be worse. Trust me. ;)

jimbob200521

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2005
Hey, it's all about perspective.

For example my last three months:

-$5000 to replace water main after AT&T sub-contractor damaged it laying fiber optic line, and wouldn't pay if for 90+ days.
-Slide-in stove died. $1000
-Probate court/attorney fee for family members estate: $6000
-Son cut foot in yard. $800 out of pocket after insurance portion.

It can always be worse. Trust me. ;)

That is very true. Looking back, I'm in a lot better place in life now than I was 10 years ago so I shouldn't complain at all.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
I recently purchased a EVGA Supernova g2 and am really impressed with it. Fully modular, eco mode, looks nice, and performs great. Not sure if it has the connections you need but I recommend you take a look at the brand.

jimbob200521

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2005
Well guys, I was heavily leaning towards the Corsair RM750X but for another $10 including the cabling I need, I sprung for the on sale RM850X. I think it'll do the job nicely.

jimbob200521

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2005
Nice psu man! I hope it works well for you.

Thank you sir, I think it will. I almost went for a refurb RX850i since it was about $30 less so I could have the Corsair link but refurb stuff can make me nervous from time to time...

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Well I don't blame you for thinking about a refurb but I'm glad to hear you decided to go new. $30 isn't a huge difference in price and having the piece of mind that a new psu brings is nice.
PSU's are often overlooked but a quality unit goes a long way in providing stability to a computer.

Reactions: jimbob200521