Apparently Georgia is still on about War of Northern Aggression

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
From the article: "I don't understand why, in 2018, we're still talking about the Confederates," McCord said. "How should I, as a black person, celebrate that?"

Celebrate William Tecumseh Sherman the next month?

have-no-problem-with-the-confederate-flag-as-long-as-15091166.png

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I heard the audio recording of the exchange on radio, blipped out but it was still shocking.

renz20003

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2011
From the article: "I don't understand why, in 2018, we're still talking about the Confederates," McCord said. "How should I, as a black person, celebrate that?"

Yay Lancaster Ohio!!!!

Reactions: KMFJD

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I am offended that the black guy used as his claim the language was offensive because he said it twice. I can't determine from the language that the speaker was a racists or reenacting the language of the past, including the fact that he, himself, was white trash. Am I to say as a white person I'm profoundly offended by being called white trash. One can question, however, why the white guy didn't lead with the fact that he was going to speak about the way people used language in the past. But isn't is possible at least that his interest in history lies in his pride in the contrast? People are no longer N$%&*@ or W(*^@ T!($_ The problem with people who hate themselves, all of us, is that they stick their toes out where they are easily stepped on so they can feel their feelings of victim hood. We are unconsciously pulled to stimulate our negative feelings because they are what took our mental health.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Not to rain on your parade much. But if you catch the beginning reruns of "MASH" there are two surgeons with prominent nicknames, Hawkeye and Spear Chucker. One of which soon disappeared from the show, leaving me with the impression that racist ignored is racism left to bloom.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Not to rain on your parade much. But if you catch the beginning reruns of "MASH" there are two surgeons with prominent nicknames, Hawkeye and Spear Chucker. One of which soon disappeared from the show, leaving me with the impression that racist ignored is racism left to bloom.

Not to rain on your parade, but the origins of M*A*S*H make it clear that Spearchucker Jones got his nickname as an athlete, a football player and a star javelin thrower. It was supposedly a compliment, not racial in nature. So sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Spearchucker was dropped because there were too many characters. because Hawkeye and Trapper were the stars and there was little for him to do. But mostly he was dropped because there were no black surgeons in MASH units in the Koran War and Larry Gelbart objected to empty tokenism. CBS was fairly sensitive to racism at the time. Father Mulcahey was nicknamed "Dago Red" in the book and movie and the network forced it to be dropped for the series.

Reactions: Meghan54

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000

But Sherman most famously burned Atlanta. The city of Atlanta has a high black population and is pretty progressive. It's the middle of nowhere parts that are 90% rednecks and the richer suburbs that lean a bit conservative that makes the state a red state.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
But Sherman most famously burned Atlanta. The city of Atlanta has a high black population and is pretty progressive. It's the middle of nowhere parts that are 90% rednecks and the richer suburbs that lean a bit conservative that makes the state a red state.

BTW...Sherman didn't just burn Atlanta. He burned ATL to Savannah, leaving select buildings, etc., untouched along his path. But he was rather indiscriminate about the razing. Fortunately, he left Savannah pretty much alone.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
BTW...Sherman didn't just burn Atlanta. He burned ATL to Savannah, leaving select buildings, etc., untouched along his path. But he was rather indiscriminate about the razing. Fortunately, he left Savannah pretty much alone.
I'm aware, that's why I said "most famously". It's what he's known for, doesn't matter what else he did he'll always be famous for Atlanta.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I have a friend who's ancestor was a lieutenant in Sherman's army and was involved in the March to the Sea. My friend has spent much of his time over the last couple of decades putting together books, a film, and all sorts of stories together based on the trove of letters that his ancestor wrote to his wife, and received, throughout the war. It's actually some really awesome work.

Anyhoo, as part of his research, he visited one of the battlegrounds in GA (this guy is a lifetime Northerner), and after receiving a lengthy, personal tour from a gregarious, kindly GA fellow dressed in Confederate garb, my pal felt the need to mention to him that his ancestor served in Sherman's army. ....Apparently the Georgian's face went beet red, eyebrow's furrowed, and a very palpable expression of "get the fuck out or I will punch you in the face" descended. :D

Reactions: DarthKyrie