Apparently a Princess Bride remake is in the works, what other epic movies from your childhood should be ruined by a remake?

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
DDD would be nostalgic.
How about a sequel,
Debbie's Daughter does Dallas-FW ?

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Schindler's List! I mean it's in black and white and clearly there aren't enough CGI explosions.

Last edited:

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
nothing in that says that there's a remake in the works.

lols:

Well, of course. You were in it. You might be a little bit biased.

There are only a handful of perfect movies. It'd be a shame to ruin one of them.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Remakes only need to happen if the original movie had a good idea but a bad execution. The Princess Bride, Back to the Future, Goonies, etc. were all fantastic movies & don't need to be remade. The problem is that studio executives are focused on money, and remakes do produce results because they are ridiculous cash cows:

* Cindarella 2015: $100 million budget, $543 million box office
* Jungle Book 2016: $177 million budget, $966 million box office
* Dumbo 2019: $170 million budget, $353 million box office
* Aladdin 2019: $183 million budget, $1 billion box office
* Lion King 2019: $260 million budget, $1.6 billion box office

Even Dumbo, which only has a 50% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes, made $183 million over budget. The Lion King made literally a billion dollars over budget. Collectively, those 5 movies cost $890 million to make and made $4.462 billion, which translates out to over a $3.5 billion dollar profit. It's hard for any business-minded studio exec to say "well gee, we want to keep the romance & integrity of the original movies & not remake them" when over three billion dollars are on the table.

However, to me, the actors, collaboration, and original stories of stuff like The Princess Bride, Back to the Future, and the Goonies are what made them work. I'd prefer to see them not be remade. If they do want to continue the story with a well-done sequel or prequel or something like that, that's fine, but why ruin greatness? It's the question of money vs. art. In the Disney suite above, it's hard to say not a few extra billion in profit.

Reactions: Linux23

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Well, of course. You were in it. You might be a little bit biased.

There are only a handful of perfect movies. It'd be a shame to ruin one of them.

I met Prince Humperdinck a couple years ago at TerrorCon. He is exactly as regal as his character in The Princess Bride & it was awesome lol.

Reactions: ElFenix

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I would say "Neverending Story", but the sequels kind of already shat all over the original.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Remakes only need to happen if the original movie had a good idea but a bad execution. The Princess Bride, Back to the Future, Goonies, etc. were all fantastic movies & don't need to be remade. The problem is that studio executives are focused on money, and remakes do produce results because they are ridiculous cash cows:

* Cindarella 2015: $100 million budget, $543 million box office
* Jungle Book 2016: $177 million budget, $966 million box office
* Dumbo 2019: $170 million budget, $353 million box office
* Aladdin 2019: $183 million budget, $1 billion box office
* Lion King 2019: $260 million budget, $1.6 billion box office

Even Dumbo, which only has a 50% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes, made $183 million over budget. The Lion King made literally a billion dollars over budget. Collectively, those 5 movies cost $890 million to make and made $4.462 billion, which translates out to over a $3.5 billion dollar profit. It's hard for any business-minded studio exec to say "well gee, we want to keep the romance & integrity of the original movies & not remake them" when over three billion dollars are on the table.

However, to me, the actors, collaboration, and original stories of stuff like The Princess Bride, Back to the Future, and the Goonies are what made them work. I'd prefer to see them not be remade. If they do want to continue the story with a well-done sequel or prequel or something like that, that's fine, but why ruin greatness? It's the question of money vs. art. In the Disney suite above, it's hard to say not a few extra billion in profit.
Though at the same time, remakes just gave us the Dark Crystal, which is goddamn phenomenal. I fully support movies being remade into series, when the lore of the movie can support it. I'd rather not just see rote movie -> movie adaptations, ESPECIALLY Disney musicals that get filled with fucking actors that can't sing worth a whit.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Though at the same time, remakes just gave us the Dark Crystal, which is phenomenal. I fully support movies being remade into series, when the lore of the movie can support it. I'd rather not just see rote movie -> movie adaptations, ESPECIALLY Disney musicals that get filled with actors that can't sing worth a whit.

Exactly - make it different (ex. movie into a series) or make it better, don't just replace it for money reasons. I understand it's a business, but it's also a product & experience that people love & get attached to, and I hate it when they mess with that for purely financial reasons.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2004
I wouldn't have a problem with it. If they find a way to make it good, it'd be good and you'd have two good movies to watch. If it was bad then you can ignore it or point and laugh.

People need to get over getting pissy about remakes as they often highlight what made the original good (and help it get back into circulation). Plus at least then it makes sense for them versus Disney trying to give us shitty retcons of Star Wars like Rogue One because the fucking manbabies only actually like the originals and that's as close as they can get to them. Careful what you wish for.

Plus sometimes we get good remakes/sequels. John Carpenters The Thing. Hell I liked two of the Romero Dead remakes (won't say they were better necessarily but are enjoyable in their own right).

Now, I'd guess there's about zero chance I'd like a Princess Bride remake more than the original. But I could actually see it being fun to see various people play those roles. I'd almost want some bizarre version of it, where they have tons of different actors, and then change them scene to scene.

Something like this Robocop remake:

But professionally done.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I'm going to have to go with

Star Wars episode 4 with Justin Bieber as Luke Skywalker
Now that leads to an interesting question. Which would you prefer - a Princess Bride remake or a Special Edition-style CGI "enhancement" of the original?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I wouldn't have a problem with it. If they find a way to make it good, it'd be good and you'd have two good movies to watch. If it was bad then you can ignore it or point and laugh.

People need to get over getting pissy about remakes as they often highlight what made the original good (and help it get back into circulation). Plus at least then it makes sense for them versus Disney trying to give us shitty retcons of Star Wars like Rogue One because the fucking manbabies only actually like the originals and that's as close as they can get to them. Careful what you wish for.

Plus sometimes we get good remakes/sequels. John Carpenters The Thing. Hell I liked two of the Romero Dead remakes (won't say they were better necessarily but are enjoyable in their own right).

Now, I'd guess there's about zero chance I'd like a Princess Bride remake more than the original. But I could actually see it being fun to see various people play those roles. I'd almost want some bizarre version of it, where they have tons of different actors, and then change them scene to scene.

Something like this Robocop remake:

But professionally done.

I liked Rogue One.

Surprised me because I was never remotely a fan of the originals (yet alone the prequels - still haven't seen them, in fact). Main thing about Rogue One was it had thankfully not too much of all that mystical 'Force' bollox. Nor did it have much royalty in it. Religion and royalty are only acceptable if it's a sword-and-sorcery thing. If there's advanced technology present I'd expect us to be over that stuff by now.

Also, I liked that it being made as an intermediate prequel long after the movies it fitted in between meant nobody in it was mentioned in any of the other movies - they essentially came from nowhere and were never mentioned by name again. It featured the ordinary footsoldiers who do their job and make the critical difference but die in complete obscurity, while the Solos and the Skywalkers get all the glory.

That seems kind of an accurate depiction of how revolutions play out.

Agree about The Thing. Awesome movie. That shocked the hell out of me when I saw it, without knowing anything at all about it beforehand.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Make a remake of Home Alone, instead of Kevin it's a 35 year old that still lives with his parents and has no job or anything and just plays Fortnite all day. He twarts the thieves using tactics he learned in Fortnite. Oh, and it's set around Easter instead of Christmas.

I feel dirty for even coming up with that horrible idea.

Sgt. York

Mar 27, 2016
Make a remake of Home Alone, instead of Kevin it's a 35 year old that still lives with his parents and has no job or anything and just plays Fortnite all day. He twarts the thieves using tactics he learned in Fortnite. Oh, and it's set around Easter instead of Christmas.

This has promise.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
I would love to see a good Conan the Cimmerian movie that was based closer to the original Robert E. Howard novels. I'm not sure if that would be a remake or a reboot or what? The first Conan movie with Arnold was cool in it's own cheesy way, but I'd want something closer to the book version.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002

As long as the thieves didn't try to steal their weed, munchies & "device", would they even care if someone broke into the house?
Oh wait, it's a movie... suspend reality for 2 hours. Sure this might work :)

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Hello, My name is Inigo Montoya you killed my MOVIE, prepare to die.