• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Apartment pet rules - anyone here ignore them?

Suicidal

Banned
Jul 23, 2000
I really want to buy a pet for me and my woman. Right now I have a chameleon but that's more decoration than a pet. She's a cute lizard who's fat and happy but I would like a dog or cat. I've decided on getting either a mini pincher or chiuaha or a burmese cat. Now, my apartment complex wants 500 non-refundable dollars to have a pet. I think this is a bit much seeing how they have an extra months rent from me for a deposit. I think in reality that they would rather have a paying tennant than to kick him or her out for having a rat sized dog that could only do damage to my puppy chow budget. Has anyone gone through this? Is there really a risk of getting evicted over a cute little dog?

virtuamike

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2000
Yes, huge risk of getting evicted. Usually managers will give you a choice. The dog leaves, or you leave. I had the same situation come up with my roommate a couple months ago. Decided to get a dog and then try to potty train in the apt, was not going to happen considering our lease doesn't allow dogs. He ended up moving out because he didn't want to lose the dog. I know it's tough but those are the rules.

Cooltech2k

Banned
Feb 9, 2001
The Only Rule on pets my apt complex is is no snakes.....

But it would be so mean for me to kick out my 4 foot ball python, I Mean it gets cold here & she would freeze... :Q

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
You little dog isn't going to soil the carpet, scratch the window frames or carpet, and make noises to annoy the neighbors, leave any odors after you move out, or fleas, etc? In my apartment to just have a cat I have to pay for professional carpet cleaning after I move out and to have an exterminator come in. If anything is damaged or cant be cleaned thoroughly I have to replace it. There is also an extra $20 a month rent to cover wear. And thats just for a cat, dogs aren't allowed at all. If I get caught with any pets without their knowledge they automatically charge me $500 and have the option of eviction. I have no problem at all with those policies. I also believe they'd evict me, there isn't exactly a shortage of potential renters where I live. They're for the protection of their property,cleanliness, and the courtesy of the others living there. Can you afford to loose your place to live for a dog?

Suicidal

Banned
Jul 23, 2000
Yah, it's not really worth the risk, i'd rather be legit and not worry about being found out. I doubt that this little dog could do any real damage anyway but it's better to be safe than sorry. The guy downstairs from me has a pretty big collie so apparently the apartment people are pretty forgiving. He didn't pay the fee but he does do some work for them.

ASK THE COMMUNITY