AP Top 25 Football Rankings - Week 11 (Nov. 11)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
Originally posted by: eshtog
Originally posted by: tfinch2
These arguments just show the flaws in the BCS. The play on the field should determine rankings. 10-0 in a good conference speaks volumes.

If you want a computer to determine the season, let's stop wasting time and just play a simulated season on Madden or something.

WTF, LOL, do you seriously think they are in a "good conference"?

The only ok team they beat is A&M and they arent even that good.

The Big 12 is not a good conference?

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
These arguments just show the flaws in the BCS. The play on the field should determine rankings. 10-0 in a good conference speaks volumes.

If you want a computer to determine the season, let's stop wasting time and just play a simulated season on Madden or something.

Kansas St., Baylor, Colorado, Texas A&M, Nebraska, Oklahoma St.. Is that what you mean by going "10-0 in a good conference"? Because I only see 1 average team there and 5 bad teams. The real test is next week though, where you take on 3-8 Iowa St. That's really too close to call. Thankfully Kansas has the game at home so I guess I'll give them the edge.

The play on the field is what determines ranking. Problem is Kansas hasn't really played anybody on the field. If Kansas wins out and beats Wisconsin and Oklahoma they'll probably be #1 and rightly so. Right now I can't even make a good argument for them being #3, though. I think Oklahoma is clearly better. We'll see when the games are all said and done. I know it sucks Kansas fans but you're being hurt by your schedule and there's no way around that.

Finish. Then complain if you get jammed.

soonerproud

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2007
Kansas as the number 4 team in the nation is fucking blasphemy.

They had a long way to come up in the polls and have been a mediocre team for years. The computers take past history into account and that is why Kansas is not #1. If they beat Missouri the BCS may push then to #1 or 2.

soonerproud

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2007

Hmm, and I thought the Big 12 was a good conference. I guess history means nothing to you.

soonerproud

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2007
Originally posted by: flxnimprtmscl

Kansas St., Baylor, Colorado, Texas A&M, Nebraska, Oklahoma St.. Is that what you mean by going "10-0 in a good conference"? Because I only see 1 average team there and 5 bad teams. The real test is next week though, where you take on 3-8 Iowa St. That's really too close to call. Thankfully Kansas has the game at home so I guess I'll give them the edge.

The play on the field is what determines ranking. Problem is Kansas hasn't really played anybody on the field. If Kansas wins out and beats Wisconsin and Oklahoma they'll probably be #1 and rightly so. Right now I can't even make a good argument for them being #3, though. I think Oklahoma is clearly better. We'll see when the games are all said and done. I know it sucks Kansas fans but you're being hurt by your schedule and there's no way around that.

Finish. Then complain if you get jammed.

Even I am not so certain OU is the better team this year. We lost to an unranked Colorado and struggled against a few conference teams that have had lackluster seasons. Missouri should answer this question if they beat Kansas.

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Originally posted by: JohnCU
ACC championship, here we come.

cullen harper >>>>>>> matt ryan

ummm....Remember October 6th? You guys still haven't figured out how to play special teams, despite dropping two consecutive games because of your ineptitude.

This ACC season has been exciting since the champion of each division will not be know till the last weekend!

And we FINALLY slaughtered the FSU demons!

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: soonerproud

Hmm, and I thought the Big 12 was a good conference. I guess history means nothing to you.

Why should it have any effect on how good a particular conference is now?

soonerproud

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2007
Originally posted by: Excelsior

Why should it have any effect on how good a particular conference is now?

Three teams in the top five tells me the Big 12 is a good conference. No, they are not as strong this year as they have been in the past. However, very few of the teams in the Big 12 are easy to beat. Now if you want to talk about the ACC being a poor conference, then that is another story.

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
This is ridiculous. VT has moved 1 spot after winning its last 2 games. Virginia has moved over 10 spots-- and they have played no one. Seriously I don't understand. VT two losses (One we should have won, but a loss is a loss) are against the #2 team of the nation- we have won everything else including Florida St. and Ga Tech. Virginia's 2 losses are against teams that can only dream of being ranked and they only squeaked by the #24 Wake Forest- their only win against a ranked opponent.

Ohio State loses to an unranked opponent and somehow is still in the top 10. Michigan is, somehow, still in the top 20 (You lose to a D-1AA team you better win out against every other ranked team before you become ranked again).

-Kevin

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Originally posted by: toekramp
ACC championship, here we come.

cullen harper >>>>>>> matt ryan

that may be true but sorry tech has this locked up.

are you kidding me? VA tech is so overrated it's ridiculous. yes, they beat us, but they beat us by special teams. they have no offense.

Umm...did you watch the past two games at Georgia Tech (481 yards) and FSU (395 yards)? Not to mention the +6 minute average for time of possession. Our O-line has been giving us grief all season due to graduation losses.

I'll take a non-offensive VT TD on any play. This (Beamerball) is what made VT football rise to the national level over the past decade. The end goal is to have more points than your opponent, and we love to score in all THREE phases of the game.

PS: I still love watching the 105 yard Macho Harris kickoff return for a TD....one of the best plays of his career thus far. He'll be a good replacement for when Eddie leaves after this year.

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Originally posted by: Gamingphreek
This is ridiculous. VT has moved 1 spot after winning its last 2 games. Virginia has moved over 10 spots-- and they have played no one. Seriously I don't understand. VT two losses (One we should have won, but a loss is a loss) are against the #2 team of the nation- we have won everything else including Florida St. and Ga Tech. Virginia's 2 losses are against teams that can only dream of being ranked and they only squeaked by the #24 Wake Forest- their only win against a ranked opponent.

Ohio State loses to an unranked opponent and somehow is still in the top 10. Michigan is, somehow, still in the top 20 (You lose to a D-1AA team you better win out against every other ranked team before you become ranked again).

-Kevin

Couldn't agree more. I have been shocked at how little we moved, especially since we beat two quality teams. Ohio State gets way too much love from the polls. Losing to the then #2 (now #1) team shouldn't be that much of a strike against you. We have lost to quality opponents, not misfits (cough) Wyoming, NC State, App State, Stanford, et al (cough).

Soonerproud, I like your school spirit but the ACC is on par (if not better) than the big XII. (at least your accurate witht the number of teams your conference has). Both have several schools with proud histories, that are having trouble (Texas A&M, Texas, Miami, FSU).

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003

-Kevin

You can't spell overrated without VT ;)

Sorry, but I just had to :laugh:

JasonCoder

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2005
So many replies...

First, Kansas being #3 in the BCS is a statement. That statement is that if you win out the voters will give you some love. I think the voters know what kind of a schedule KU has had and just want to see them put up. Hell, the computers already like them better than OU.

Second, that team up north is ranked where it is because of the way the games have played out this year. Have you been watching the games or just bitching about the polls? On a couple of weeks like 7 or 8 ranked teams ahead of them dropped a game.

Third, The Buckeyes didn't drop that low because they lost a close game to a good team. This is actually better than in past years because in the past if you lost late you got the shaft compared to losing early. That's pretty stupid and it seems to have somewhat lessened its effect this year (the when of losing, that is).

Fourth, if you think the Big12 is weak, explain BCS #s 3, 4 & 5 please. The Big12 is actually the most entertaining conference in the stretch run.

The remainder of the season is going to be fun. Georgia and UT are playing better ball...either one has a shot a LSU. Tiger fans can bleaux me. I don't think anyone but them wants to see LSU in a home game come January.

soonerproud

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2007
Originally posted by: Jawo

Soonerproud, I like your school spirit but the ACC is on par (if not better) than the big XII. (at least your accurate with the number of teams your conference has). Both have several schools with proud histories, that are having trouble (Texas A&M, Texas, Miami, FSU).

You forgot Nebraska! :D

I just had to take a shot at the ACC. They were supposed to be a super conference, yet they have not done much in their short history. I am certain things will change for them some day.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Jawo

-Kevin

Couldn't agree more. I have been shocked at how little we moved, especially since we beat two quality teams. Ohio State gets way too much love from the polls. Losing to the then #2 (now #1) team shouldn't be that much of a strike against you. We have lost to quality opponents, not misfits (cough) Wyoming, NC State, App State, Stanford, et al (cough).

Soonerproud, I like your school spirit but the ACC is on par (if not better) than the big XII. (at least your accurate witht the number of teams your conference has). Both have several schools with proud histories, that are having trouble (Texas A&M, Texas, Miami, FSU).

:confused:

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Teams like Hawaii and Kansas don't get respect because they haven't beaten other ranked opponents. Kansas may be in the Big 12 but they haven't played the Big 12 "powerhouses" like University of Texas and Oklahoma. If they win against Mizzou and win their conference championship then they might do some jumping in the rankings.

The fact is, though, the SEC is widely regarded as the strongest conference this year by the people who vote in the polls and that helps LSU a lot even though they have 1 loss. I kind of agree, but the fact that LSU has struggled and only won through comebacks in a few games makes me think they could easily lose another game against a strong opponent.

The best thing that Kansas can do if they want to be taken more seriously is to absolutely dominate the rest of their games. That may make enough of a statement to get them in the NC. If it doesn't, then they can have a legitimate complaint.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
For the last time, Kansas hasn't played anybody good yet, but they have to play Missouri, and will probably play Oklahoma in the Big 12 championship game. If they win out they will almost certainly jump to at least 2. Of course they will lose at least one of those games and all the dreams of the KU fans will crash and burn.

sciencewhiz

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Originally posted by: soonerproud
They had a long way to come up in the polls and have been a mediocre team for years. The computers take past history into account and that is why Kansas is not #1. If they beat Missouri the BCS may push then to #1 or 2.

Most of the computers do not take history into account. The polls most certainly do. The Billinglsey computer also takes history into account. The only computer in which Kansas is behind their poll ranking is Billingsley.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: preslove
For the last time, Kansas hasn't played anybody good yet, but they have to play Missouri, and will probably play Oklahoma in the Big 12 championship game. If they win out they will almost certainly jump to at least 2. Of course they will lose at least one of those games and all the dreams of the KU fans will crash and burn.

OU has a good chance at losing one of its two remaining games.

The Raiders and Cowboys have the ability to beat them. OU doesnt much like coming to Lubbock either.

Honestly, I see it playing out to where a Big 12 team doesnt make the title game, because OU, Mizzou, and Kansas will all lose 1 game by time the Big 12 title game is over.

zach0624

Jul 13, 2007
Originally posted by: Balt
Where's Notre Dame?

:laugh:

I know they have made school histroy with their great record:D
Since I hate Notre Dame I am loving this season, altough it pains me the U of Washington has died out after some really good showings against USC, Ohio State and Oregon(all close games). Being a Husky fan though it pains me to see Oregon at number two although atleast their is a PAC-10 team that could play for the BCS title.

soonerproud

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2007
Originally posted by: Wreckem
OU has a good chance at losing one of its two remaining games.

The Raiders and Cowboys have the ability to beat them. OU doesnt much like coming to Lubbock either.

Honestly, I see it playing out to where a Big 12 team doesnt make the title game, because OU, Mizzou, and Kansas will all lose 1 game by time the Big 12 title game is over.

OU has only lost twice at home since Stoops has been coach. We play OSU at home so the odds are more in our favor there. But then again, one of those two losses was to OSU when they were a considerably weaker team than today. Isn't bedlam wonderful?

We have a greater chance of a upset at Texas Tech next week. If we win that game, I am pretty confident we can beat OSU in Norman in two weeks.

BigJelly

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2002
Originally posted by: EvilYoda
Originally posted by: BigJelly
Originally posted by: preslove
1. LSU (40) 9-1 1,590
2. Oregon (22) 8-1 1,574
3. Oklahoma (1) 9-1 1,471
4. Kansas (1) 10-0 1,439
5. West Virginia (1) 8-1 1,340
6. Missouri 9-1 1,336
7. Ohio State 10-1 1,184
8. Georgia 8-2 1,130
9. Arizona State 9-1 1,122
10. Virginia Tech 8-2 1,013
11. USC 8-2 924
12. Texas 9-2 859
13. Hawaii 9-0 827
14. Florida 7-3 814
15. Clemson 8-2 613
16. Virginia 9-2 539
17. Boise State 9-1 533
18. Boston College 8-2 527
19. Tennessee 7-3 488
20. Illinois 8-3 390
21. Cincinnati 8-2 305
22. Kentucky 7-3 283
23. Michigan 8-3 237
24. Wisconsin 8-3 182

25. Connecticut 8-2 127

I see a slight problem with the bolded part...

who beat who? I can't remember because it was a whole day ago and all. Got to love the polls

So therefore, by your reasoning, Illinois should be ranked above OSU? Michigan was #12 and Wisconsin was unranked, why would they automatically be ranked higher.

so stupid.

My obvious reasoning was: do the normal polling and if you have 2 teams that just played each other, make sure the winner gets the better ranking. Kind of like when Wisconsin beat Auburn in the 2005-2006 Capital One Bowl and it ended with Auburn #14 and Wisconsin #15. They should attempt to save face and switch the two.

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
florida jumped over texas with 1 more loss why? good thing the rankings mean nothing unless you're hawaii. 3 big 12 teams in top 5, lol woo. big 12 clearly the best conference in the nation;)