AP reporting Trump threatened to send troops into Mexico during call with Pena Nieto.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I don't think that the Mexican govt. could admit this was true. Can you imagine the reaction around the world if it happened and the information came out officially?

I think it would be a win for Mexico. A lunatic president making threats against them, it would unite them as a country and the Mexican president would look rational and good for ignoring trump and not playing ball.

Nov 25, 2013
Yes, just more fake news from the Opposition Press Party.

Whether you know it or not you are following a template.

"Lügenpresse has a long and ugly history in Germany. It was first used after the failed revolutions of 1848, mainly in Catholic polemics against the liberal press. From the start it implied that the media were controlled by Freemasons or Jews. After the Franco-Prussian war, the term was directed at the French press for its alleged lies. During the first world war, after Germany got a thrashing in foreign newspapers for what they called the “rape of Belgium”, Allied (and especially British) newspapers earned the moniker. That set a usage pattern that holds till today: Lügenpresse refers to any medium that does not reflect the user’s own worldview, and must therefore be propagated by a hated “Other”.

In the interwar years the term was used both by communists against the “bourgeois Lügenpresse” and by the Nazis against—no surprise—the allegedly Jewish and Bolshevik media. Once the Nazis seized power and took control of the domestic press, they naturally stopped calling it a Lügenpresse. Instead Hitler and Goebbels once again applied it to the foreign press—for instance, for reporting the 1938 Kristallnacht."

http://www.economist.com/news/europ...ous-word-americas-alt-right-learns-speak-nazi

Reactions: DarthKyrie
Nov 25, 2013
I think it would be a win for Mexico. A lunatic president making threats against them, it would unite them as a country and the Mexican president would look rational and good for ignoring trump and not playing ball.

I guess that would be a fair exchange for the disruption of the stability of the rest of the world. Putin, at least, would be happy.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I guess that would be a fair exchange for the disruption of the stability of the rest of the world. Putin, at least, would be happy.

You assume trump would actually go to war, he won't nor could he.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2009
Thanks, next time i see a criticism of a conservative news outlet such as The Daily Caller, Breitbart, The American Spectator, Reason, Fox News, The Daily Mail, National Review etc. etc. etc. I'll be sure to reprint your pompous twit of a little post so everyone on the left can share it.

Whether you know it or not you are following a template.

"Lügenpresse has a long and ugly history in Germany. It was first used after the failed revolutions of 1848, mainly in Catholic polemics against the liberal press. From the start it implied that the media were controlled by Freemasons or Jews. After the Franco-Prussian war, the term was directed at the French press for its alleged lies. During the first world war, after Germany got a thrashing in foreign newspapers for what they called the “rape of Belgium”, Allied (and especially British) newspapers earned the moniker. That set a usage pattern that holds till today: Lügenpresse refers to any medium that does not reflect the user’s own worldview, and must therefore be propagated by a hated “Other”.

In the interwar years the term was used both by communists against the “bourgeois Lügenpresse” and by the Nazis against—no surprise—the allegedly Jewish and Bolshevik media. Once the Nazis seized power and took control of the domestic press, they naturally stopped calling it a Lügenpresse. Instead Hitler and Goebbels once again applied it to the foreign press—for instance, for reporting the 1938 Kristallnacht."

http://www.economist.com/news/europ...ous-word-americas-alt-right-learns-speak-nazi

Nov 25, 2013
You assume trump would actually go to war, won't nor could he.

Uh, no.

You don't think that "The Leader of the Free World" simply threatening a neighboring country would disrupt the present day world order of alliances like, say, NATO? He's already fucked with several relationships with long time allies of the US, like NATO. And now, a blow up with Australia? The simple act of the President of the United States threatening Mexico is disruptive enough.

And, speaking as a Canadian, I'm not thrilled about having a next door neighbour that's starting to look just a wee bit like Russia does to it's neighbours. The big bully that likes to throw its weight around in the neighbourhood.

I'll add that if Putin actually did expend some effort and money to screw with the election it's paying off big time.

Anyone paying any attention to Ukraine? They talked on the phone the other day and later that day the Eastern Ukraine heats up again. Pure coincidence though, I'm positively sure.

Nov 25, 2013
Thanks, next time i see a criticism of a conservative news outlet such as The Daily Caller, Breitbart, The American Spectator, Reason, Fox News, The Daily Mail, National Review etc. etc. etc. I'll be sure to reprint your pompous twit of a little post so everyone on the left can share it.

What I expected. Honor, integrity and honesty my ass. You don't have a clue and, what's worse, you don't care. Enjoy turning your country into the world's most powerful banana republic. Viva Trumpismo!

Nov 25, 2013
Your last post really says it all.

Yeah, single payer covered health care, reasonably good governments, better life expectancy than if I was an American, not afraid that I'll lose my govt. pension/old age security when I retire. And, I get to live in this gorgeous city:

o-WEST-VANCOUVER-WATERFRONT-facebook.jpg

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Yeah, single payer covered health care, reasonably good governments, better life expectancy than if I was an American, not afraid that I'll lose my govt. pension/old age security when I retire. And, I get to live in this gorgeous city:

So you won't mind if 12 million people drop by. And of course they're Americans, so gotta start smuggling in those guns they all love. Turn that gorgeous city into Chicago in no time. No borders, right? ;)

Pulsar

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2003

o-WEST-VANCOUVER-WATERFRONT-facebook.jpg

I happen to live 20 minutes outside Canada and have many close Canadian friends. Keep trying to paint that rosy picture of your healthcare system. I'm not saying ours is any good, but yours sure as hell isn't the model to follow either. Golf clap for trying to act like it is though.

Pulsar

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2003
So you won't mind if 12 million people drop by. And of course they're Americans, so gotta start smuggling in those guns they all love. Turn that gorgeous city into Chicago in no time. No borders, right? ;)

12 million would be 1/4 of the population of their country. In fact it'd be the largest voting block there.

Nov 25, 2013

No Borders? Que? Mr Faulty?

I have absolutely no idea as to what you're going on about here.

Nov 25, 2013
I happen to live 20 minutes outside Canada and have many close Canadian friends. Keep trying to paint that rosy picture of your healthcare system. I'm not saying ours is any good, but yours sure as hell isn't the model to follow either. Golf clap for trying to act like it is though.

Thanks, It just saved my ass from a stage 4 cancer several years ago so I know what you mean. It's pure fucking hell.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

Never been to Chicago I'm guessing.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009

I'd much rather be in Chicago, which incidentally ranks #24 in the U.S. in murder rate, than St. Louis, MO (#1 in murder rate), or Baltimore, Detroit, New Orleans, Birmingham, Jackson MS, Baton Rouge LA, Hartford CT, Salinas CA, Milwaukee, Wash. DC, Kansas City MO, Cincinnati, West Palm Beach FL, Memphis TN, San Bernadino CA, Oakland, Atlanta, Richmond VA, Kansas City KS, Pittsburgh, Dayton OH, or Philadelphia---all cities with higher murder rates than Chicago, in order from #1-#24. #25 is North Charleston, SC.

Stats from the 2015 FBI crime statistics.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Eduardo Sanchez, spokesman for Mexico's presidential office, denied the tone of the conversation was hostile or humiliating, saying it was respectful.

"It is absolutely false that the president of the United States threatened to send troops to Mexico," Sanchez said in an interview with Radio Formula on Wednesday night.