AOE3 blue screen error

subzero813

Aug 4, 2005
i've seen these scattered around so i figured i'd create a thread so we can figure out what is causing it.

i have a Radeon X800 XT with CAT 5.8 and default 3D driver settings. i disabled ReForce, and the DefaultProfile.xml in AOE3 directory is at 1024x768x75hz to start up so i dont think its the same refresh rate error that BF2 and other demos/programs had.

it displays no debug code. just blue screen and hard crash.

if you see people on other forums with this bug, please point them to this thread.

i've heard of 3 other cases...all had X800 cards.

jevans64

Feb 10, 2004
I saw your other post about this problem. I have another machine with an x800xt w/ cat 5.8. I'll try it right now and let you know something.

CheesePoofs

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2004
I had the same problem a few times.

Computer:
A64 3000 @ 2.45
DFI nF4 Lanparty UT Ultra-d
X800XL w. Cat 5.8
1gb ram
OCZ Powerstream 420w

What I did to fix it was go into the 3D settings, check "use custom settings" then click custom. I unclicked "application preference" next to anti-aliasing, then unclicked "temporal anti-aliasing" then checked "application preference" next to anti-aliasing. Then I hit OK.

I have no idea how this helped, because in the end it didn't change anything, but maybe you just need to make it think you did ;)

EDIT: nevermind, it appears I just didn't BSOD on my after I did that because it was feeling nice. It has done it again :(

jevans64

Feb 10, 2004
OK. Mine worked fine. I only spent a few minutes actually playing a game ( just moved the wagon around and moved Explorer ). Before starting the install, I switched my desktop resolution to 1024x768. I launched the installer and went through the setup process. I selected CUSTOM because I wanted to place the demo in a particular directory. A reboot was required at the end of the install. I ran the game WITHOUT changing the desktop / game resolutions first. Everything OK. I changed my desktop back to 1920x1200 @60Hz and changed the game to 1920x1200 @ 60Hz and turned on AA ( Low ) and AF ( Medium ). It still worked.

The rig I installed the game on is the Shuttle SB75G2 in my sig. I have the last Shuttle BIOS ( 6 months old ) for it installed and have not done anything with the i875 chipset drivers for about 6 months. I think I have the Realtek 3.73 audio drivers installed. I also have Windows XP with Service Pack 2 and DirectX 9.0c installed.

At this point, I'd say uninstall the Demo and start from scratch and do the resolution change thing.

dclive

Elite Member
Oct 23, 2003
If everyone wants to update all their drivers and their Windows Updates, and then confirm the problem still happens, run MPS Reports (see my .sig) and then send me the minidumps created AFTER you did all the driver updates, found in c:\windows\minidumps\*.dmp, and I'll see if I can tell you what the problem is.

dclive

Elite Member
Oct 23, 2003
Originally posted by: CheesePoofs
Thank you!

I just sent mine out.

Assuming your initials are EB, your problem is the ATI graphics card driver, specifically,

ati3duag.dll from Aug 3 2005.

Update that or have ATI fix it and the issue should go away.

(I say this assuming you aren't overclocking and those are ATI's video drivers in there, rather than hacked third party's drivers.)

Pete

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
The AoE3 demo BSODed on me (9800P, 5.8) the first couple times, too, until I remembered I was using ATI Tray Tools to set custom AA and AF levels (I use it instead of the CP or CCC). I set both back to App Pref and had no further problems.

dclive

Elite Member
Oct 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Pete
The AoE3 demo BSODed on me (9800P, 5.8) the first couple times, too, until I remembered I was using ATI Tray Tools to set custom AA and AF levels (I use it instead of the CP or CCC). I set both back to App Pref and had no further problems.

Sounds like we have the what (ATI's 5.8 Cat drivers) and the why (custom AA/AF levels).

CheesePoofs

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2004
Originally posted by: dclive
Originally posted by: CheesePoofs
Thank you!

I just sent mine out.

Assuming your initials are EB, your problem is the ATI graphics card driver, specifically,

ati3duag.dll from Aug 3 2005.

Update that or have ATI fix it and the issue should go away.

(I say this assuming you aren't overclocking and those are ATI's video drivers in there, rather than hacked third party's drivers.)

Yep, thats me, and I just sent you my CAB file MPSRpts created.

I remember seeing that driver listed somewhere, I think in a crash report sent to microsoft. I'm not overclocked and those are ATI's drivers, but like Pete I was using custom AA/AF levels through Radlinker when I got the crash. Guess that must be it, although I'm still not getting any AA in game. :(

Pete

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Do you have bloom enabled (game settings)? It might not be compatible with AA.

ToonarmY

Sep 19, 2005
I am also getting the blue screen crashing problem. I have experienced this whilst playing bet on soldier demo both single and multiplayer, age of empires 3 demo(not as mutch) and with F.E.A.Rdemo. My pc can run battlefield 2 halflife2 etc fine.

Seems im not alone with it

dclive

Elite Member
Oct 23, 2003
Are you running Zone Labs / Zone Alarms?
Do you have an ATI graphics card?
Which particular problem (there've been several) impacts you?

ToonarmY

Sep 19, 2005
Generally whilst in game the game may freeze for a few seconds then go to a blue blank screen containing no information. Or the game wont freeze and will just go to a blue blank screen very quickly. My only option then is to turn off restaring the pc.

System.
Windows XP
Intel pentium 4 HT 3.06Ghz
Ati x800 XT platinum edition
2x512 DDR Ram

all windows and graphics card is up to date

dclive

Elite Member
Oct 23, 2003
Originally posted by: ToonarmY
Generally whilst in game the game may freeze for a few seconds then go to a blue blank screen containing no information. Or the game wont freeze and will just go to a blue blank screen very quickly. My only option then is to turn off restaring the pc.

System.
Windows XP
Intel pentium 4 HT 3.06Ghz
Ati x800 XT platinum edition
2x512 DDR Ram

all windows and graphics card is up to date

This is in AOE3? You probably have the same problem everyone else in the thread has with the ATI graphics card.

dclive

Elite Member
Oct 23, 2003
yes but it also does this with bet on soldier demos and the F.E.A.R demo

OK, and do you have the Zone Labs / Zone Alarm products installed?

dclive

Elite Member
Oct 23, 2003
I have never heard of this program so i doubt i have it installed

If you'd like to update all their drivers and Windows Updates, and then confirm the problem still happens, run MPS Reports (see my .sig) and then send me the minidumps created AFTER you did all the driver updates, found in c:\windows\minidumps\*.dmp, I'll see if I can tell you what the problem is.

We already know what the problem is with AOE3, so no sense messing with that. Let's try reproducing the problem with BOS & FEAR. Run those programs, get it to crash, and then send me the resulting minidumps created on that day.

dclive

Elite Member
Oct 23, 2003
I have never heard of this program so i doubt i have it installed

Disable your sound (go into your BIOS and turn it off). Now try BOS & FEAR again.

If that works, then you need to update your sound drivers. They're from 2002.

Rock Hydra

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
I don't have this problem that you guys are mentioning. But, I do have problems with freezing up and screwed up colors every so often. It usually ocurrs during the menus. Sometimes I've even had forced restarts. It sucks.

My machine is:
Windows XP Pro
2.6 GHz P4 Northwood
DFI LAN Party 865PE
1024 MB RAM 1 stick Corsair 1 stick OCZ
GeForce 6800 (Pipes/vertex shaders unlocked)

ToonarmY

Sep 19, 2005
Sorry im not quite sure what u mean by turn off your sound in BIOS i know a resonable amount about my pc but i have never done anything with this a quick guide for it and i will give it a go.

dclive

Elite Member
Oct 23, 2003
Sorry im not quite sure what u mean by turn off your sound in BIOS i know a resonable amount about my pc but i have never done anything with this a quick guide for it and i will give it a go.

Go into your PC's BIOS. (Call your manufacturer for help in doing this; typically it's the F10, DEL, or F2 keys)
Find the screen where you can turn on and off the integrated peripherals.
Turn off the integrated sound capability.

Conversely, you could simply update your sound drivers with the latest version from your OEM. They're the problem.

ToonarmY

Sep 19, 2005
thats the thing a while back i looked for new drivers and i was unable to find any. The only information i can find about my audio device is that its a Sigma Tel Audio. I think it must be intergrated into the motherboard or something