AOC will deliver formal resolution on a Green New Deal

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
They are indeed grand goals. But I still need the bottom line. How many hours of my working day am I going to have to contribute as my share? Am I going to have to start working 6 days a week to support the system?
The fundamental issue with the entire system will be freeloaders and cheaters. That's a serious problem right now with workmen's comp, medicare, SSI disability, and pretty much every program that hands out money.
The freeloaders and cheaters are the billionaires and large corporations who do not pay enough taxes to support the needs of our public infrastructure, defense, and social safety net--nevermind financing the green revolution. That needs to be addressed first
Right now AOC is grandstanding. She's written a document with very lofty goals that have been talked about for a long time. Now she needs to put together the plan and the budget. The sales pitch is worthless without the product, and in this particular case, the product cost is in the trillions. I can be sold, I can jump on this band wagon and work to make it happen. I can contribute my share and a little bit more, but not until I see the plan, the budget, and how it's implemented.
You're exactly right. A resolution is meaningless as far as actual legislation goes. Her job was to start the public debate. Are these goals that a broad coalition of Americans can get behind? Will we elect representatives who can support these goals and work on actual legislation--the "plan" if you will? Can we find a path to accomplishing at least some of these goals that mesh with conservative principals?

This isn't the kind of thing that 50% + 1 can accomplish...like I said we need 70-80% support from liberals, centrists and conservatives to start working toward these goals.

Reactions: sandorski

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
The freeloaders and cheaters are the billionaires and large corporations who do not pay enough taxes to support the needs of our public infrastructure, defense, and social safety net--nevermind financing the green revolution. That needs to be addressed first
You're exactly right. A resolution is meaningless as far as actual legislation goes. Her job was to start the public debate. Are these goals that a broad coalition of Americans can get behind? Will we elect representatives who can support these goals and work on actual legislation--the "plan" if you will? Can we find a path to accomplishing at least some of these goals that mesh with conservative principals?

This isn't the kind of thing that 50% + 1 can accomplish...like I said we need 70-80% support from liberals, centrists and conservatives to start working toward these goals.

And what happens when those super rich including many rich liberals threaten to take their economic ball and go home like Amazon did in Seattle, is the supposed progressive liberal establishment that wants to raise taxes on the rich going to grow a spine or fizzle and blame Trump or some republican for their cowardice.

How Amazon Helped Kill a Seattle Tax on Business

A levy on big companies to fund affordable housing awakened the ire of corporations.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technol...helped-kill-a-seattle-tax-on-business/562736/

As to the constant tax the rich, bring back 70- 90 tax brackets, etc., etc.,
all a bunch of toothless feel good bullshit no different than when Billionaire Warren Buffet pulls out the "woe with me I pay less taxes than my secretary" and simple-minded fool liberals lap it up.

How about going after the actual loopholes and shell games the rich like to use, but don't expect too many rich powerful liberals to stand by the sidelines and let it happen as the squashing of the Seattle Homeless tax has shown us.

Here is a list but don't expect too many Democrats to bring it up.

https://www.topaccountingdegrees.org/taxes/

How The Super Rich Avoid Paying Taxes

If you're one of the 1% of Americans who control over 40% of the country's wealth, life is full of choices. Among them -- how best to keep all that money away from the government? The U.S. economic system offers no shortage of loopholes allowing the ultra-rich to shortchange Uncle Sam.

Tax rates for those making >$1 million level out at 24%, then declines for those making >$1.5 million. Those making $10 million a year pay an average income tax rate of 19%. $70-$100 billion is the estimated tax revenue lost each year due to loopholes. So how exactly do the super rich hide that much money from the government every year?

1. Put It in the Freezer

• Trust Freezing: A way to transfer valuable assets to others (such as your children) while avoiding the federal estate tax.
  • "Freeze" the value of assets many years before you plan to pass them on to exclude all asset appreciation from the estate, and any taxes.
  • Popular method: Trade common for preferred stock.
  • Problem: If you sell your common stock you might owe a large amount of capital gains tax.
  • Solution: Trade your common stock for preferred stock, then put some of the preferred stock in a trust and live off the dividends.
2. Send It Overseas

• Tax havens: Registering your business or putting your money in an account in another country with lower taxes.
  • ~$21 trillion is being hidden in offshore tax havens.
  • David Bowie, U2 and the Rolling Stones have all benefited from tax havens at one time or another.
  • Popular cash hideout: The Cayman Islands, home to >85,000 companies -- making it home to more registered organizations than people.
3. Stock It Up in Options

• By taking part of your compensation in stock options you can control when and if you pay taxes, since most options are only taxed when they are exercised.
  • Execs who have opted for options: Howard Schultz (Starbucks), Fred Smith (FedEx), William Weldon (Johnson & Johnson) and many others.
4. Play Shell Games with It

• Shell company: A type of company that only exists on paper, allowing you to funnel money through it and avoid paying taxes.
  • Has a legal existence but typically provides few or no actual products or services.
  • Often used for buying and selling to avoid reporting international operations conducted, and avoid taxes on the profits.
  • Shady business: Mitt Romney caught some flak for allegedly using a shell company in Bermuda to avoid taxes.
5. Swap It Out

• Equity swap: An agreement that allows 2 parties to exchange the gain and loss of assets without actually transferring ownership.
  • The swap avoids transaction costs, and typically, local taxes on dividends.
6. Play Dodgeball with It

• Capital gains tax: A tax on the profits from a sale of non-inventory assets originally purchased for a lesser amount, such as stocks, bonds, property or precious metals.
  • Popular loophole: Purchasing stock options, which sets the share price at a fixed rate, then borrowing money from an investment bank using the shares as collateral.
  • The borrower then repays the loan either with money made with the money borrowed or by handing over the shares, avoiding the capital gains tax.
7. Go Corporate with It

• Problem: being in a higher income tax bracket has less tax advantages than being a corporation.
  • Solution: You can incorporate your own personal brand, which allows you to: 1. Channel wages through a nominal "corporation"; 2. Pay yourself an interest-free wage; 3. Claim expenses; 4. Reduce your income taxes.
  • Mitt Romney claimed the management fee of his corporation as a capital gain rather than income, reducing his tax rate significantly.
8. Kick It Down the Road

• You can put part of your payday in a deferred-compensation plan, instead of taking it all at once.
  • This allows your earnings to continue growing tax-deferred for +10 years.
  • 79% of CEOs at Fortune 100 companies were offered deferred compensation plans.
9. Give It Away

• Gift-giving and charitable donations are a real win-win: Avoid taxes and look and feel good doing it!
  • Gifts to anyone of up to $13,000 are tax-excluded, with an unlimited exclusion for gifts given to a spouse.
  • Allows you to circulate cash within the family as "gifts" while writing it off.
  • Popular donation tactic: Deduct the fair market value of a donated item from your tax liability.
  • Example: 1. Buy a sculpture for $1,000; 2. Have it appraised at $10,000 some years later; 3. Donate it and deduct the $10,000 from that year's taxable income.Score!
10. Make It Luxurious

• Owning a yacht or multiple homes aren't just status symbols -- they offer tax benefits as well!
  • Popular earner: Claim your "second home"
  • Spend at least 2 weeks of the year on your yacht, outfit it like a home, and categorize it as a second home for tax purposes.
  • If the home's value appreciates over time, the profits from selling it can be considered capital gains and taxed at a lower rate than salary or other investment income.
  • A second home can be rented for up to 2 weeks a year without requiring the owner to claim the rent as income!

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012

Today's Conservatives seem to only want to smear her...Imagine that?!

Yes, let's continue letting the perfect be the enemy of the good. We can't stop all murders, so let's stop trying. We won't be able to stop poverty, so let's not help them at all. We can't replace building or be immediately carbon-neutral, so let's not even try. Instead of going through the multitude of recommendations and ideas and debating their worth, cost, and feasibility, let's just make fun of her for actually suggesting and trying to make a change.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
If you look at the comment sections of news stories about this the Russian bots are out in force. It's almost like nobody else is commenting. All the exact same shit worded slightly differently and lots of likes vs few dislikes.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
https://thehill.com/policy/energy-e...s-ocasio-cortezs-green-new-deal-could-cost-93

A center-right think tank said Monday that Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's (D-N.Y.) "Green New Deal" could cost up to $93 trillion.

The analysis from the American Action Forum puts the price tag for the sweeping policy proposal between $51 trillion and $93 trillion over 10 years.

The Green New Deal resolution was introduced in both the House and Senate earlier this month by Ocasio-Cortez and Sen. Ed Markey (D-Mass.).

The nonbinding proposal is focused on achieving net-zero greenhouse gas emissions within the next 10 years while also creating millions of “good, high-wage jobs.”

Let’s do it

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
https://thehill.com/policy/energy-e...s-ocasio-cortezs-green-new-deal-could-cost-93

A center-right think tank said Monday that Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's (D-N.Y.) "Green New Deal" could cost up to $93 trillion.

The analysis from the American Action Forum puts the price tag for the sweeping policy proposal between $51 trillion and $93 trillion over 10 years.

The Green New Deal resolution was introduced in both the House and Senate earlier this month by Ocasio-Cortez and Sen. Ed Markey (D-Mass.).

The nonbinding proposal is focused on achieving net-zero greenhouse gas emissions within the next 10 years while also creating millions of “good, high-wage jobs.”

Let’s do it
Seems like a great source for your confirmation bias.

Reactions: sandorski

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004

Let’s do it

650 million people live within 10 vertical meters of the ocean. Every port as well.

What’s the cost to harden them against climate change?

Reactions: Franz316

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
650 million people live within 10 vertical meters of the ocean. Every port as well.

What’s the cost to harden them against climate change?

When coastal libtards have to move inwards, red States be blue.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Don’t be dense.

I'm not sure he read the link that's supposed to support his claim. But since he cherry picked select text, let's finish the job

The resolution's supporters say that inaction in the face of climate change would be far more costly than their proposals.

Markey criticized the think tank's findings on Monday, arguing that they included measures that are not in the Green New Deal.

"Any so-called 'analysis' of the #GreenNewDeal that includes artificially inflated numbers that rely on lazy assumptions, incl. about policies that aren’t even in the resolution is bogus," Markey wrote in response to the report on Twitter. "Putting a price on a resolution of principles, not policies, is just Big Oil misinformation."

The Massachusetts lawmaker went on to say that the think tank "spends some time doing basic multiplication on the impact of making all air travel unnecessary, a concept mentioned nowhere in the resolution text."

"Another example, the $5.4 trillion it estimates to transition our electric grid comes seemingly from thin air, as NO SOURCES are documented for their generation cost assumptions," Markey added.

Willfully ignorant seems more fitting, per the usual.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Excuse me, do you know what time it is? @Jhhnn "Republicans only care about the rich!"

Nice day out, eh? @Jhhnn "We need a 70% top marginal tax rate!"

But can we really afford a new car with a baby on the way? @Jhhnn "Income inequality is at its highest levels ever!"

Sometimes a question is just a question and doesn't require you to attack your political opponents. As others have pointed out, no the plan doesn't seem to have deficit control on the list (probably on purpose) and that's OK because it's just a statement of "it is the sense of Congress we should do this list of things" which doesn't require (at this point) to address stuff like "how will you do that" or "how will it be paid for" and the like.

Did I hit a nerve? It's not just a question. It's a classic concern trolling maneuver. You're right about the rest of it. The Green New Deal is a statement of intent, not a concrete proposal.

digiram

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2004
Yes because when it's about a Republican that makes it highbrow humor, amirite?

pt1sk.jpg

I damn near spit my coffee.. lmao

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Bold, ambitious and clearly defined goals to confront the most urgent threat to all of humanity and leverage the power of the government in a positive way. Yes, the devil is in the details, but we need to pair federal investment with industry geniuses like Elon Musk to expand our thinking around how to save the planet. AOC is a welcome voice.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'm literally scratching my head looking at that image.. (and purposely not reading the links) did the GOP seriously use Tauntauns image in the Senate?

When you claimed that bringing a snowball from your office freezer and into the Senate chamber, ranting about warm weather, was jumping the shark, Mike Lee tells you to hold his beer.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
I'm literally scratching my head looking at that image.. (and purposely not reading the links) did the GOP seriously use Tauntauns image in the Senate?
Many people on twitter thought the images were photo shopped, but nope, he had some doozies.
Also had Reagan on a Velociraptor shooting a machine gun.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Many people on twitter thought the images were photo shopped, but nope, he had some doozies.
Also had Reagan on a Velociraptor shooting a machine gun.

Reagan on a velociraptor, shooting a machine gun, wrapped in an American flag? That's the right's wettest of wet dreams!

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Did anyone else notice that the Raw Green Deal didn't get a single vote? Not a single vote. Not one. Nada.

Do share with us what was in the legislation that was being voted on. Bonus points for linking to the actual legislation.

When can we expect a reply from you?

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Did anyone else notice that the Raw Green Deal didn't get a single vote? Not a single vote. Not one. Nada.
That is because the republicans were trying to gain political capital by forcing a vote and then using it against any Dems who voted for it. The vast majority (all except 8 I believe) of the democrats abstained, they did not vote against it. This was a purely political ploy by both sides, not a true vote on the merits of the proposal. (Which IMO is well-intentioned but basically bat shit crazy in its current form.)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Oh look, someone isn't paying attention to what actually happened, yet again.

what a shock, coming from the self-appointed "guest of honor" for the monthly GOP bukakke parties.