Anyway to limit Wi-Fi bandwidth but not LAN ports?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by darkswordsman17, Oct 6, 2008.

1. darkswordsman17

Under QoS, I can setup rules, but its fairly limited (set priority is about it). There is the option to Turn Bandwidth Control On, but it seems to limit it for each device connected and doesn't give you the option to set it for individual devices (or between the Wi-Fi or LAN ports), so that's somewhat limited, and isn't really what I want.

Would DD-WRT allow this capability?

2. ViRGE

ViRGE Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus

I'm not sure if I understand you completely.

If you want to reduce the bandwidth for all WiFi users, then under DD-WRT it's as easy as setting the Transmission Fixed Rate to something low.

If you want to reduce the bandwidth for a single WiFi user, then that's not easily done AFAIK due to the shared bandwidth nature of WiFi. The best thing I can think of here is using QoS and assigning specific MAC Addresses minimum (bulk) priority.

3. JackMDS

JackMDS Super Moderator<BR>Elite Member
    Super Moderator

4. darkswordsman17

Yeah, I'm wanting to do it for all Wi-Fi. Hmm, so DD-WRT wouldn't be possible? I think its actually a v6 with upgraded firmware. Looking at the compatibility list they seem to both be there, but I don't know if they are actually stable and working or what they have there means.

Right now I have the bandwidth limited via the Bandwidth Control, which has smoothed things out, although if you do anything simultaneously it causes things to slow to a crawl. Any way I could connect with both the wired port and wireless for two connections? This is on a laptop and I only have USB for expansion, so unfortunately I can't just get a second NIC and throw it in a PCI slot. I'm also not sure if it has any impact on streaming between devices on the network (meaning, say if I was playing a game on Xbox Live while also streaming music to the Xbox, or even just streaming video to it). I can't test this right now, as I don't have the 360 here. Of course I wouldn't be able to dual connect with it, so I'd still have issues.

Thanks for the help, and sorry if I wasn't totally clear.