anyway to get windows to save program state before rebooting?

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
as in if i'm encoding a video and put my laptop to sleep it saves the data to the drive so it can resume running once i start it up again right?

why can't windows do this when doing those damn forced updates and rebooting? i've lost work in the past due to this and it would be sooo much better if overnight, or when i'm away and it does its thing to save my programs info, reboot to install and then resume the software as if it resumed from sleep or something.

i'm so close to just disabling updates and checking once a month or something when i'm good to reboot to stop this.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Which version of Windows? Pretty sure you can specify what hours the system is allowed to install updates.

The only thing I can think of in regards to saving program "states" is like a VM snapshot or something but I wouldn't know much about that, nor if you could even use it with a host OS (probably not).

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
it's win10. it's not installing the updates, it's the reboot. don't always notice that there's going to be a reboot and i can lose days of work due to the stupid setup.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
This is exactly what specifying the "Active Hours" on the Windows Update page is meant to address. The machine will NOT reboot automatically between the set times as specified by the user.

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
"Save" or ctrl+s avoids loosing work. Get in the habit of frequent saves. Saves a lot of headache

doesn't really work with video encodes that i've setup for max quality that takes days to complete does it? this isn't a txt file.

either way it shouldn't' matter. my pc rebooting because of a crash or a windows update is the same thing. it reboots without my permission so from my perspective there is no difference.

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
This is exactly what specifying the "Active Hours" on the Windows Update page is meant to address. The machine will NOT reboot automatically between the set times as specified by the user.

there is no option for active hours of midnight until midnight though is there? as in don't frickin reboot until i tell you since it's my god damn pc not yours microsfoft. active hours be damned. no matter what i don't want my pc to reboot until i tell it to, otherwise from my perspective it's a crash since it's unauthorised.