Anything special to using a US check to pay somebody in foreign currency?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I presume that I can simply write $100 CAN instead of $100, and the foreign bank will in turn charge my bank for the appropriate amount after exchange (leaving my bank to ding me fees, etc.), right?

thanks!

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
For that amount of money I would just send the person a money order for the proper amount in Canadian.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: HappyPuppy
For that amount of money I would just send the person a money order for the proper amount in Canadian.
Actually it's 425 CAN, but I need it to be a check so that I can easily tell when it's taken out ;)

Rumpltzer

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Originally posted by: HappyPuppy
Actually it's 425 CAN, but I need it to be a check so that I can easily tell when it's taken out ;)
I've never sent money overseas, but others have sent me money for auctions. If not by Paypal, people usually send me a money order.

If Western Union is used, the money can be tracked... I mean, that the buyer can "see" when the money order has been cashed. Is that what you mean by "taken out"?

I wasn't aware that offshore checks could be cashed.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Well it's paying taxes to Canada. I've received a check from Canada before in US funds (just can't remember how it was written), and I regularly send a check to Can from my US account in US funds, but in this case I need to send to Canada from a US account in Canadian funds.

flamingelephant

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2001
don't think you can do that..... if the bank account is in US funds, you can only take out US currency, or canadian funds if the account is in canadian dollars.... get a money order... they only cost like 5 bucks

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: flamingelephant
don't think you can do that..... if the bank account is in US funds, you can only take out US currency, or canadian funds if the account is in canadian dollars.... get a money order... they only cost like 5 bucks
My bank wanted $15 - is it cheaper at the post office? And like I said, I've received a check from a canadian account which specified US funds in some way, so yeah you can do an exchange right on the check ;)
You pay taxes to Canada too?
Withdrew CAN retirement fund and had to pay taxes on it.

flamingelephant

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Originally posted by: flamingelephant
My bank wanted $15 - is it cheaper at the post office? And like I said, I've received a check from a canadian account which specified US funds in some way, so yeah you can do an exchange right on the check

Didn't think you could do that... are you sure its not a check from a canadian bank US dollar account? I've had to send money orders from my bank to cover some of my wifes bills in the US, they only charge me 5. Your bank is ripping you off!

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Yeah my bank sucks. In regards to the conversion on the check I couldn't say for sure, but I was pretty sure it was a standard Canadian account. I'm going to get an MO and be done with the hassel of it though :)