Anything new in light, compact, cases without wasted optical drive space?

Name User

Sep 29, 2011
I can't seem to find a case that's right for me. I need it portable and minimal. I only want the powerful bits in this PC, and none of the storage or useless accessories.

Are my only options building my own? I need it to be:

-acrylic? aluminum?
-full size CPU cooler
-full size PSU
-full size GPU
-mATX or ATX board
-space for 2 SSDs

durable would be nice too

Also I think ditching the stupid optical drive and extra bays would allow this case to weigh just as much as those typical compact cases, while being capable of overclocking to full tower speed.

Last edited:

andg

Jan 21, 2012
Super interested in this as well.

I don't know why there aren't more cases without drive bays. In a couple of years, who needs them?

All I need room for is a full size graphics card and mATX.

Name User

Sep 29, 2011
Super interested in this as well.

I don't know why there aren't more cases without drive bays. In a couple of years, who needs them?

All I need room for is a full size graphics card and mATX.

Best I found so far, surprisingly, is a tower case. I was searching for cubes initially but this is more in the right direction. Stuff a pair of HDDs and SSDs into the bays, throw out the vertical HDD bracket, and you got a decent $40 minimal case.

_DSC9714.jpg

_DSC9691.jpg

http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/pc-cases/fd-core-1000

How about the NZXT Vulcan?

Problem with that is I'm not 14 years old OR from the Matrix. Though there's some great ideas in that thing.

andg

Jan 21, 2012
Unfortunately that thing still got 5" slots in front. Yeah sure, it's a first world problem, just saying it's something I'd rather be without.

There's always some tiny pebble in my shoe regarding case. I just want something REALLY simple. You don't often get that in the PC industry, there's always flashing lights, bimbo's on the box etc.

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
That Fractal Design case is really neat at the price!

If you only have two SSDs, a GPU and a CPU going into the machine, do you actually need a full-size PSU, and more than 600W? If that much is enough, the Silverstone SG08 would seem like exactly what you need. If a freak accident destroyed my existing case, I'm pretty sure I'd be building the next machine in a SG08.

God Mode

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2005
I can't wait for the day when 5.25" slots are gone for good. I'd rather use an external if I need an optical drive.

janas19

Platinum Member
Nov 10, 2011
Best I found so far, surprisingly, is a tower case. I was searching for cubes initially but this is more in the right direction. Stuff a pair of HDDs and SSDs into the bays, throw out the vertical HDD bracket, and you got a decent $40 minimal case.

_DSC9714.jpg

_DSC9691.jpg

http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/pc-cases/fd-core-1000

This case is certainly minimal, but it's not portable. In fact, it's larger than most mATX cases out there.

Better idea: mod an existing mATX case to remove the storage rack which we all seem to agree is useless. I have a cheap Cooler Master mATX case, which has the bay rack attached to the chassis with screws. It could be easily removed to accommodate a full sized graphics card.

God Mode

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2005
YOU GOT YOUR WISH!!!

Personally, I'm never buying a lian-li ever again due to customer service issues. lol what customer service? Another asian company with severely lacking to non-existant after service. Yes I'm peeved at them since my brand new case is a paper weight since the power button is faulty.

I can't find a contact # and they never reply to emails asking for help/replacement parts.

GoStumpy

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2011
With requirements as specific as OP's, there's no room to start judging the customer service of the company as a deciding factor...

Besides, Lian-Li makes incredibly well-built cases!

Name User

Sep 29, 2011
Does not fit full size power supply. Wastes space with many 3.5" bays. Seems strictly worse for OP than the SG08.

OP, have you ended up buying something?

I'm still deciding and waiting on Ivy Bridge, both the SG08 and Q25 are definitely the best I've seen so far so I really appreciate the suggestions. Both also look way better than I expected so if not for portable use, they'd be great at home.

I sort of ran into a problem when I found out mini ITX doesn't do 4 ram slots, wasn't expecting that. I do live visuals/motion graphics installations and kinda need the ram.

Right now my "portable" workstation is a 19" deep 4U rackmount chassis that I removed all unnecessary accessories from, and wrapped entirely in gaff tape. It's still an enormous 20 lbs black box but at least it has two carrying handles.

She's a real beauty.