Anything I can do? My eye doctor is a bastard.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mooglemania85

Diamond Member
May 3, 2007
disposables? just set up a damn appointment and see if he'll give you a pair so you can get by until then.

otherwise, order online before your current prescription expires.

bonkers325

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
do you kno your glasses prescription? if u do, u can order a pair through zenni... they're cheap but fairly reliable.

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Idontcare
You really expect your eye-doctor to take on the open-ended liability you (or your family that depends on your income) represent to suing his ass should you actually have a condition or worse a lawyer who is willing to make a case that he was negligent in any possible way?

Think about what you are expecting your doctor to risk (losing medical license and future of lost income) all for your convenience of not planning ahead for an entire freaken year for the eventuallity that you would need cash and time after 12 months to see the doctor again.

Major douchery in my opinion. Now go drive half-blind and kill some innocent 12yr old in the crosswalk going to school.

you honestly think i would NOT go to the eye doctor if i felt my vision was impairing my ability to drive, and put mine and other peoples' lives in danger?ok...i think thats major douchery.

msparish

Aug 27, 2003
You realize the reason you have those appointments is not only to ensure that your prescription is correct? Wearing contacts can induce many eye problems. The major reason for the appointment is to make sure that your eyes are healthy.

I speak about this from personal experience. I always used to be frustrated about going every year until the doctor caught a developing problem. It was as simple as switching to a different contact brand that fixed it. Had my doctor just written a prescription without seeing me, he never would have caught the problem.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Kazaam
thats what he says, that my prescription is expired. the thing is, he wont even give me a prescription for like, a single box. i just want it for a little while. i told him i dont care if its not perfect ol. so basically im screwed unless i go see him? even if i dont mind having what he thinks MAY not be the right prescription?

thanks guys, thought it would be like this haha

so let me get this correct...you are to vain to wear a pair of glasses???

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Depending on the tests he's running, $200 for JUST a contact visit is complete bullshit.

My local Costco costs $100 for regular + contacts checkup.

msparish

Aug 27, 2003
Originally posted by: BigJ
Depending on the tests he's running, $200 for JUST a contact visit is complete bullshit.

My local Costco costs $100 for regular + contacts checkup.

QFT. At my Costco, it was $70 for the checkup.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
go to sams, costco or walmart.

sams and wallmart are around $70 for a checkup for contacts.

jiggahertz

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Kazaam
thats what he says, that my prescription is expired. the thing is, he wont even give me a prescription for like, a single box. i just want it for a little while. i told him i dont care if its not perfect ol. so basically im screwed unless i go see him? even if i dont mind having what he thinks MAY not be the right prescription?

thanks guys, thought it would be like this haha

Just go to some place like DOC or Lenscrafters for a cheap eye exam, and order your contacts online.

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken
LASIK

Yes, it's initially expensive but it's the best money you'll ever spend on an eye doctor.

or glasses.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Originally posted by: LoKe
Get some online, costco, hell, anywhere. Just not the alley.

..doesn't some of the costco's have on site eye exams?? got to be cheaper then many eye doc's.

Rastus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
More people use contacts than wear glasses anymore, so they are cheaper to get than glasses.

My wife and I used to go together. She got contacts and I got glasses. Her bill was usually about $150 cheaper than what I paid.

aceO07

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2000
$200 for just a plain checkup is insane. I didn't have health insurance before and it was under $100. Just remember not to get contacts from the doctor unless his prices are decent.

Tsaico

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2000
Wow, everyone pays mroe than I do. I go to a private eye doctor and for my exams and 6 months contacts is 35 bucks even. Vision is part of my benefits package.