Anything coming out within 3 months that will effect prices?

shurato

Platinum Member
Sep 24, 2000
I have an ATI Radeon 32MB DDR AGP card...it's fine for most games...but I want to upgrade and stick that card in my 2nd computer. I know you can't wait forever to upgrade else you'll wait forever. I dont want the latest and greatest...but I wouldnt mind waiting 2 or 3 months for pricedrops of exisiting cards. I was thinking maybe a Radeon 8500 or a Geforce4 Ti4200? They would come down in price even more with newer cards correct?

Anything major and greater coming out soon? I think ATI has some new cards coming out? Waiting for one last price drop to upgrade...I've been out of the loop for a while. Have had the radeon when it first came out. thanks.

Rand

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Well if you want to wait the Radeon 9000LE/Pro are coming out soon, they should quickly drop to price levels comparable to the GF4 MX and offer performance similar to the present R8500LE.

The Radeon 9700 is also coming up, and that will almost certainly knock the prices of the GF4 cards and the current R8500's down somewhat.

The NV30 is coming, but that'll likely be another 4-5 months before we see it.
nVidia's NV18 refresh of the GF4 MX is coming up, though information is sketchy on when it will appear.
nVidia also has the NV28 coming upon, which looks to be essentially an AGP 8X higher clocked GF4, again info is sketchy on when it will appear.

It might be worth waiting till' the Radeon 9700 hits, since it looks as though it will quite easily hold the performance/feature crown until the NV30 appears you might find that nVidia starts pricing the upper GF4 boards very aggressively to try and steal some of the sales then might otherwise go to the R9700.

FSUpaintball

Banned
Jun 12, 2001
I don't think the Parhelia will make any impact on pricing. However, like shurato said, the new Radeon 9700 is coming out this month. If it really has great performance, Nvidia will be behind for a few months, and I guarantee they'll counter by dropping prices.

However, I'm not sure how they're going to do this. I can't see the GF4 TI4200 dropping below $150, and NVidia's flagship cards have never been below $350 retail. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

Right now, you can get good GeForce 3s for dirt cheap. I saw one for $70 at compgeeks.

bockchow

Platinum Member
Sep 18, 2001
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids,we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

i'm sitting in a dark room popping caffinated breath mints from thinkgeek and listening to techo music, dam you pac-man for makeing me what i am today.

shurato

Platinum Member
Sep 24, 2000
Thanks for the great information guys...it's kind of what I expected..just needed re-affirmation. I think I will wait a month after the launch of the radeon 9700...hopefully it will produce some price drops on the geforce ti4200's to 130'ish levels. My radeon 32mb ddr will suffice for warcraft 3 for now :) however with grand theft auto 3, it runs like a dog.

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Yeah I think your Radeon DDR should be fine for a little while. I was very surprised when running Warcraft 3 on my Celeron Tualatin 1.0@ 1.4 GHz with a Radeon LE DDR - it runs fine even at 800X600 - the beta ran like crap at any resolution on this same machine. Blizzard did a lot of performance optimizing right at the end of the beta that they don't really get credit for...

Killrose

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
There has been talk of a lower end 9700, called the 9500, but with 9700's not yet released for sale, the 9500 could be a way's out before it is anounced and released for sale. No idea as to price, but around $250 would be my guess.