Anyone with experience traveling to S. America?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by gbeirn, Jan 16, 2013.

1. gbeirn

gbeirn Senior member

Peru in particular. I plan on flying into Lima and then onto Iquitos. I plan on spending 1-2 weeks in the Amazon.

Anyone have any suggestions? Even for just travel to that area of the world. I've been to travel.gov and read up on Peru and their recommendations. Is it a good idea to get vaccinated against Yellow Fever?

2. OlafSicky

OlafSicky Platinum Member

I heard that they have terrorist groups there and kidnappings.

3. ElFenix

ElFenix Elite Member<br> Super Moderator<br>Off Topic
    Super Moderator

i was

4. Punter

Punter Senior member

I know a guy that some 30 years later found out he does not have a liver and they trace it back to a south american trip where he ate barracuda. Take your own food.

5. ViviTheMage

ViviTheMage Lifer

I want to drive from Barrow Alaska to Ushuaia Argentina ... but I haven't done it yet, so I don't know the answer to your question.

#5 ViviTheMage, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  6. IndyColtsFan

IndyColtsFan Lifer

Yes, get vaccinated. I was in Brazil in 2004 but was outside of the region where they required/recommended the vaccination.

7. God Mode

God Mode Platinum Member

Bring a few gallons of mosquito repellent. Chew some coca leaves and kick some endangered animal ass, seabass.

8. Mixolydian

Mixolydian Lifer

9. sdifox

sdifox No Lifer

Take train up to Machu Pichu. Nazca Lines are cool.

10. sdifox

sdifox No Lifer

you need to borrow Scaramanga's car.

11. KoolAidKid

KoolAidKid Golden Member

I went to Peru for my honeymoon last summer. Had an awesome time. I recommend hiking the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, it was the highlight of the trip by far.

12. Sukhoi

Sukhoi Elite Member

Not a whole lot to see in Lima...I'd mostly use it as a connection point. Also the airport is chaos outside of the secured area. It'll open your eyes if you haven't seen something like that in person previously.

13. keird

keird Diamond Member

Everyone knows this.

Permethrin applied on all shirts and trousers. A Yellow Fever vaccination is a good idea.

For living in jungles I recommend a mosquito headnet and double palmed leather gloves. I'm not joking. You'll figure it out.

Also, a wrist rocket will dissuade most endangered species.

14. tommo123

tommo123 Platinum Member

not peru but i went to ecuador and our boat was pulled over and searched by a boat full of guys with rifles so watch out for that :eek:

15. glenn1

glenn1 Elite Member

I did Peru and Iquitos a couple years ago. Don't know if I'd spend 2 weeks there though.

For Iquitos, were you looking to stay at a lodge upriver?

16. gbeirn

gbeirn Senior member

Thanks (I think) for the replies everyone.

Yes. Did you do this?

17. ockky

ockky Senior member

TDLR: Been there. Get vaccinated/take pills. Take a book. Dont worry about repellent.

2004ish: My ex-girlyfriend and I took a river boat ride down the amazon that lasted a couple of days (maybe a week?). (Roughly the same area you are talking about) When I say boat ride, think old school double-decker river boat where the 1st level was completely packed with cows and other livestock being transfered down river and 95% of the people traveling were locals. The boat looked something like this We ate what was cooked on the boat, and picked up some tamales wrapped in banana leaves (big ass leaves, probably not bananas) during stops. Luckily I had one of the GRR Martin books with me...you'll want to take something to read

Prior to the 'cruise' I had to meet up with my girlyfriend that had been doing research on some birds out in the middle of the jungle. I got to take a tiny prop plane and fly into the middle of who knows where. (It was a tiny friggin airport...think one room to check in and wait for plane before walking onto the tarmac/field to load up) Once we met up, we had to hitch a ride to get to the nearest river-port-area-thing-place. To get there, we took the longest fucking ride of my life. We rode in what i think was a ford pinto down hours of dirt road. This road had potholes so large that elephants could have gotten lost in them. they were fucking huge and in the middle of the jungle. At one point, we squeezed by a bus that was stuck in one. We ran out of gas twice. After running out the first time, we stopped and gave some of our siphoned gas to another car that had run out of gas...it was the bumpiest fucking ride ever. My neck and head still hurt thinking about it.

Having traveled across parts of Eastern Europe (staying in incredibly rural places) prior to my trip to Peru, I was not prepared for the '3rd world-ness' that was South America.

18. glenn1

glenn1 Elite Member

Yes, stayed at Ceiba Tops Lodge and enjoyed both the lodge and the area. Feel free to ask any specific questions you might have.

19. ViviTheMage

ViviTheMage Lifer

I would rather have a truck, more space :D

20. camisanegra

camisanegra Junior Member

21. waggy

waggy No Lifer

If you want to go to a shit hole i suggest going to Detroit.

22. Baked

Baked Lifer

My white and latin female friends have traveled deep into S America, and they came back unharmed nor became host to deadly illness.