anyone with experience moving from Canada to the US?

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000
I have been looking into it with my bf, and it really seems overwhelming. A ton of things we need to do, a ton of paperwork, and then what looks like a really long wait. So I was wondering if anyone here has experienced it first hand, and has an idea if thats what its really like? Or if anyone has tips, that would be great too. TIA! :)

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
A piece of advice, when crossing the border make sure there is no hand-held granade in your glove compartment.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
For difficult questions on immigration policies/procedures, or tax and financial matters related to it I have to recommend Grasmick.com The site is ugly, but click on the forum up top and there are a lot of frequent visitors with good information.

You can feel free to ask any questions and I'll try and help. I'm glad to have done it now, but it's a huge pain in the ass if you intend to actually stay long term and get a greencard. If you could marry your BF it would make the process about 5X easier. His field of work affects his chances and success to a great degree, if you won't be getting married.

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000
Marriage is an option, and he is has a degree in biology, which should be of some help at least. Thanks Skoorb, I will check that site out, and send it to him. It really does look like a pain in the ass, I was looking at the K1 visas, and they practically want pictures of couples in bed together, to prove they are actually a real couple. Love letters, hotel receipts, and lots of other things too. Good times. :p

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Yeeny
Marriage is an option, and he is has a degree in biology, which should be of some help at least. Thanks Skoorb, I will check that site out, and send it to him. It really does look like a pain in the ass, I was looking at the K1 visas, and they practically want pictures of couples in bed together, to prove they are actually a real couple. Love letters, hotel receipts, and lots of other things too. Good times. :p
It's a PITA, but if you do get married, he can enter on a fiancee visa. I'd talk to a lawyer about it, but then he has a fast track to a greencard, and could be a citizen 3 years after that. It's the best way to get in.